Bionx enter receivership

What got me was the 3mil CAD funding they got to make a lighter more powerful motor. Justin at Grin developed the AnyAxle motor out of pocket and it is the lightest DD hub per available watts on the market. And fits any size dropout to boot. Most notably thru ones which takes hub motors to a whole new level of security. Also a built in torque arm for extra insurance.

Yamaha are launching their own line in the US this year so I prefer to wait and see how they go, Bosch are lobbying the EU to slap tariffs on Chinese kits and complete ebikes so more likely we’ll see a de facto European eco-system continue to support >$2k Bosch imports

That's interesting.. Yamaha is usually a premium priced product in general (price their outboard motors or generators!).. Guess they hope to undercut Trek, Shimano and Bosch.. Good luck.

Yamaha is usually a premium priced product in general (price their outboard motors or generators!)
Yes it will be interesting to see how they will promote the ebikes, my local Yamaha dealer is a multisport center selling boat motors, motorcycles, ATV's, lawn mowers, generators, etc. I went to a Harley Davidson dealership to buy my cycling goggles (guard dogs brand) and that was fun!

Very sad. A premium system, premium price, reletively small sales, not enough capital to survive the ups and downs of the ebike business in North America.

A similar story is Haibike in 2017 doubled units for sale in N.A., and now there's a surplus for sale at rock bottom prices. They have a parent company with deep pockets to survive the gamble. In a way many bikes sold here at bargain prices are being subsidised by European sales. Maybe Bionx can be picked up by one of the big players in the biz.
Yes we hope so...It is a great system

Anything from ebikes.ca, Justin is just so far out in front of every other N American retailer, testing the motors and making the data publicly available, he supplies everything to build a superior torque pedal assist system that is tuneable on the fly and safe because they manufacture the best torque arms and everything will play nice together.
Yes they make a great system.

The ebike situation is like the wild west or the early days of motorcycling, it seems everyone and their dog is building an e bike. I have a BionX system and there is no way i was ever going to pay the price they wanted for a replacement battery. It did work well and continues to work well but I foresee a HD500 wall ornament on my garage wall at some point in the future. Grin technologies is looking like they will be getting my money next time

Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy Ron's articles.

I have not been a big fan of BionX after a few experiences with them so have never really considered the D series. However the D series looks interesting as described with some potential but will it float an entire e enterprise? Doubtful. Mainly due to it's appearance as it seems like the popular trend is towards "stealth" and "looks like a regular bike" so that you can ride without stigma, I guess. Personally it doesn't bother me to let my e flag fly.

I still maintain that the Grin AnyAxle motor accomplishes more than any dd motor out and open source to boot. Plus I prefer a front drive so there is that.

So I just purchased a Bionx bike from Ohm and spoke with one of their reps and he said that they were not too worried about Bionx continuing onward. He said he had heard there were 15 different interested buyers and that they would likely resume business as usual after that. So maybe it's not all doom and gloom? Fingers crossed since I just purchased the bike...

So I just purchased a Bionx bike from Ohm and spoke with one of their reps and he said that they were not too worried about Bionx continuing onward. He said he had heard there were 15 different interested buyers and that they would likely resume business as usual after that. So maybe it's not all doom and gloom? Fingers crossed since I just purchased the bike...

That's good to hear... Is Bionx still supporting Ohm with parts?

I have not called them back to ask. You could call them up if you're interested and see if you get any information. For my part, I am just going to try to enjoy getting the new bike set up and let the corporate dust settle.

So what is the best rear hub direct drive system available now?

Can someone shed any light on why Falco was not mentioned as a response to this question? I have ordered a Falco system. However, I see very little about them on this Forum. The Falco forum is very quiet also.
Is there something I should be made aware of???

Harry i don't have a ebike but I have been studying e-assist kits for a Catrike recumbent trike. The recumbent shop where I bought my trike loves the Bionx and has more than he wished he had in stock=expensive paper weights. Falco looks like it would perform similar to the Bionx but the battery isn't proprietary, but they site states the five year warranty is void if you don't use their battery. Falco seems to appeal to the same market as Bionx. My concern is from reading various internet comments, for whatever that is worth, your credit card is charged at the time of purchase and a number of purchasers have experienced several months of delay before delivery. Sometimes all the parts are not in the delivery and it has taken more time to get everything. Utah Trikes recommends the wired display, not the wireless as they experienced problems with the wireless. I've read a couple of complains of controller over-heating but don't know if this is generally a problem or not. The up side is that it is highly programmable, check out Youtube videos, can run up to 28 mph, and has a good torque sensor which is a high priority for me. The down side is I suspect (I am just guessing) Falco is under capitalized and they use current cash coming in on new orders to complete and ship older orders. Additionally the owner is an electrical engineer, the product may be good or not, but I bet engineers are running the company and not someone with business experience. My "guess" is Falco will go the way of Bionx. I like what their website says about the product and apparently how it operates but I don't want to spend $2,200 for a Bionx like paper weight!

Back