Bikonit MD & HD accessories

Not many places to put a water bottle on these bikes so I though I'd post this to stimulate other ideas. This SKS Water Bottle Mount works great (for me) on the top tube of the MD 1000. Very well made and easy to attach/detach. Might be an issue for normal height folks due to stand over clearance. This Travel Kuppe Insulated water bottle fits nicely into the SKS holder but only increases the stand over clearance issue. I suppose it could go on the underside of the top tube but that would limit top battery removal.

Staying hydrated is critical and I needed a solution.

Edit: well I measured and the top of the top tube installation increases the top tube height by 4". That just barely works for me with a 37" pant inseam situation so not good for most humans.😕

Last edited:
For anyone in the USA who is going to purchase Tannus inserts I just saw a code for 20% off which is quite a good saving.
Code:- RYANLxTANNUS (found on the YouTube channel Ebike Escape)
Whoever is running the tannus inserts, was trimming necessary for the 4.8 inch tires and what tube size are you running?

Edit: I see on Tannus website I probably wont need to trim them for the 4.8 tire but will the stock tube work? I know the fat tire tubes work for a wide range of fat tire sizes

Whoever is running the tannus inserts, was trimming necessary for the 4.8 inch tires and what tube size are you running?

Edit: I see on Tannus website I probably wont need to trim them for the 4.8 tire but will the stock tube work? I know the fat tire tubes work for a wide range of fat tire sizes
No need to trim, you can use the stock tubes. I originally ordered tubes from them and they didn't work out well, I emailed them about it and they said that original tubes would be fine. Also, the
tannus tubes made the 4.8 tires look far slimmer, original tubes brought back the beefy look.

No need to trim, you can use the stock tubes. I originally ordered tubes from them and they didn't work out well, I emailed them about it and they said that original tubes would be fine. Also, the
tannus tubes made the 4.8 tires look far slimmer, original tubes brought back the beefy look.
Cool thanks! I got a flat on one of the bikes so I order 5 sets using the 20% off coupon. Excited to put them on all the bikes. Glad I dont need new tubes to go with them.

I had a bike shop do the install and I also had them installed new 3.5" tubes. The originals will work. One note, after installation the tires were not completely seated in the rim and that created a noticeable tire wobble at speed. The solution was deflating the tires to 5lbs, riding around on them bouncing the front and rear end as much as possible. I then inflated them to 25lbs and heard an audible pop of seating of the tires. Then I backed the pressure down to my desired 18lbs and all was good.

If you do this inflating/deflating massaging/bouncing tires before re-installing the wheels that will probably work too.

Last edited:
Bum
I used this one on my MD 750 WH, works very well and is strong enough to do what I want to carry with it.
https://www.amazon.com/West-Biking-Universal-Adjustable-Equipment/dp/B074Z8PVNV/ref=sr_1_22?crid=1Z2XC8IWFNGTJ&keywords=back+bike+racks+for+bicycles&qid=1652119144&sprefix=back+bike+racks,aps,248&sr=8-22
It also has enough adjustment for height/length to fit full length fenders underneath and hide other required items, I turned the main rack end for end,
put the lip at the back. LoL
HTH's
Don

Ok, 800 miles in for the MD 1000 and these are my favorite accessories in order of delivered value (the bike came with front & rear rack and fenders):

- 3rd battery from Leili for long range riding ($400)

- SUNTOUR SP12-NCX suspension seatpost with extra red spring ($100)

- Ergon GP 5 grips ($80)

- Tannus Armor Tire Inserts 4.0-4.8 and 3.25" tubes ($150 for 2)

I have added several small items like these rack straps and these battery retention straps.
Hello, curious if the Battery Retention Straps are necessary... how common is it for the batteries to randomly fall off the frame while riding? Just curious, as it seems like that would be a significant design flaw? Thanks for any insights.

Mail
I just use those straps on the batteries as EXTRA insurance,
I ride in very rough country ie, cow trails-feral horse trails- up/down sand trails/washes, game trail etc.
Since these batteries can catch fire, I figured I would be ahead of the game by using them etc.
YMMV,
Don

Mail
I just use those straps on the batteries as EXTRA insurance,
I ride in very rough country ie, cow trails-feral horse trails- up/down sand trails/washes, game trail etc.
Since these batteries can catch fire, I figured I would be ahead of the game by using them etc.
YMMV,
Don
Thank you Don, as it follows, curious to hear whether these batteries catching fire is a common occurrence also! :) On this forum I've read of a single instance of it... is it something more prolific?

Hello, curious if the Battery Retention Straps are necessary... how common is it for the batteries to randomly fall off the frame while riding? Just curious, as it seems like that would be a significant design flaw? Thanks for any insights.
I can only speak to the MD1000 battery securing method and in that case, I learned the hard way by having a battery fall out while going down hill at 30 mph which could have caused my battery to explode and or burn. As it turned out, there was only cosmetic damage to the battery but it prompted me to use the straps as insurance. As for the battery fires, there have been several with the Bikonit/Lelii bikes that were identified as within a certain serial number range. In general, Lithium Ion Batteries are susceptible to fires and so are restricted from air transport as well as other shipping restrictions. There is inherent risk and so Caveat Emptor.

RMK
By any chance do you have or know of these serial numbers range to be aware of?
You can send me a PM if you don't want to post it here, as I have a WH MD 750.
Thank you,
Don

AFAIK, they never published the involved serial numbers. You had to send your battery serial numbers to FTH Power and they would let you know if they were in the problem batch. Best to contact whom ever you purchased from for that info.

Thanks RMK
I had 1 battery that was bad when I bought my WH, and I had to send it to FTH Power, have it replaced with another new battery, I could tell by the serial number, with the one that was bad etc.
The new battery was in the same batch as the remaining good? batch battery.

Thanks,
Don

Back