Bikers going the wrong direction in bike lanes...

ki11a

I don’t even know why this has to be brought up but I’ve been seeing a few bikers riding the wrong way in the bike lane into oncoming traffic....great now I have to dodge them along with traffic. I get that they might feel safer to see the cars in front instead of behind but at that point go bike on the sidewalk, not be a hazard to other bikers who follow road safety rules.

/endrant

If there's only a bike lane on one side of the road, it's usually chevroned for two-way traffic, is that correct?

Reactions: MMC
There actually are arrows indicating that you should be going with traffic (in the bike lanes I am referring to), but the ignorant wont care.

I see a lot of bike riders riding against the traffic in my town. When I pass them (on the right) I yell "welcome to the United States". Implying that they learned to ride in Jamaica or Bahama.

Some bikes lanes have chevron markers. Sometimes these markers are pointed both ways as to look like a diamond shape. That means bicycle traffic is both directions even if it looks like it's against traffic.
Check if the bike lanes actually has direction markings.

View attachment 75707
Looking at this picture it appears this street has bike lanes on both sides. And looking at the one in focus, you can see the one directional turning lane painted on it in the background. So I’m thinking bikes in this lane should only be traveling in one direction, and the diamond simply indicates reserved lane. Regardless, thank goodness for these first world problems! :)

Yes, even on some roads where I am there are dedicated bike lanes on both side and both have chevrons markets both ways.
But are those chevrons or are they diamonds? Diamonds just indicate restricted lane, not direction of travel. In the picture posted above, that’s a diamond, not bidirectional chevrons, otherwise the center section would not be there.

I always ride with traffic when I ride. But when I go for a ride with my wife, we go against traffic. She is scared of being hit from behind because we live in Las Vegas and have many drunk drivers on the road. We also ride on the side walk if there is one, which is most of the time. I let her lead the way so I get hit first so she can feel safer :) But I imaging that is the main reason why people ride against traffic.

In most locations in the US and Canada, a "diamond" or double chevron pavement marking indicates a restricted lane not the direction of travel. Most of us are familiar with them marking highway HOV lanes'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamo...ncy vehicle lane (HOV,known as a carpool lane.

Bike-diamond-lane.jpg What-Chicago-Drivers-Need-to-Know-About-Bike-Lanes.jpg
That's not to say that some traffic jurisdictions may interpret them otherwise.

These are the bike lanes I am referring to, literally an arrow showing you which way you are supposed to go; with traffic.

2021-01-01 15.29.52 www.google.com 223b97de2886.png

part9.pdf (dot.gov)

This may help to determine what should be marked on the pavement. But not everyone follows the rules in marking or riding.
This makes it look like standards do exist, and I think the default should be to interpret signage according to the standards. As noted, I suppose there's no guarantee everyone follows the standards, but go with the standard meanings unless stated clearly otherwise. Jurisdictions using standard signage with non-standard meanings will probably be liable for any injuries caused.

Same goes with the rules of the road. In the USA, ride on the right, with traffic, in designated bike lanes, when they are available. Not knowing or not following the rules puts you and others in danger. (I strongly disagree with people who want to ride on the left side of the road, against oncoming traffic, just because they feel more comfortable.)

TT

now I have to dodge them along with traffic.

/endrant

Why dodge them? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could stop on the right side of the bike lane and they would either have to swerve into oncoming traffic or stop and be politely educated?

How do you decide which way to dodge when approaching someone travelling towards you who clearly doesn't understand road rules so potentially might dodge right back at you!

Why dodge them? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you could stop on the right side of the bike lane and they would either have to swerve into oncoming traffic or stop and be politely educated?

How do you decide which way to dodge when approaching someone travelling towards you who clearly doesn't understand road rules so potentially might dodge right back at you!

heh I meant dodge them as in almost side swipe them with them going into the oncoming traffic lane, which is not a good situation for anyone.

Some bikes lanes have chevron markers. Sometimes these markers are pointed both ways as to look like a diamond shape. That means bicycle traffic is both directions even if it looks like it's against traffic.
Check if the bike lanes actually has direction markings.

View attachment 75707
Lol that is some of the dumbest **** I have heard on this forum.

It only takes a Google search:

In the United States and Canada, a diamond lane is a special lane on a street or highway that is reserved for specific types of traffic. These lanes are usually marked with white diamonds or lozenge, hence their name.

I see wrong way bikers occasionally too. I think the scenario is that they only need to go a few blocks the wrong way, and don't want to have to cross a major street twice just to use the correct side bike lane for those few blocks.

More common problem here is bike lane joggers, and the joggers on the sidewalk who see an empty bike lane going in their direction of them so they jump into the bike lane without looking for bike traffic approaching from behind. Usually with earbuds in so they don't hear you yelling.

I see wrong way bikers occasionally too. I think the scenario is that they only need to go a few blocks the wrong way, and don't want to have to cross a major street twice just to use the correct side bike lane for those few blocks.

More common problem here is bike lane joggers, and the joggers on the sidewalk who see an empty bike lane going in their direction of them so they jump into the bike lane without looking for bike traffic approaching from behind. Usually with earbuds in so they don't hear you yelling.
Ah yes, the poor bike lane etiquette I have posted about ad-nauseum in this forum. The worst incident of that scenario happened to me at about 6am. Jogger with his back to me jumped into the bike lane with no time for me to avoid him. He had headphones and never bothered to look back. I passed him without a collision but it was by a hair. Next morning I saw the same jogger on the opposite side of the street jogging against traffic. Anyway, here are my frequent bike lane experiences/peeves (and I've experienced every one of these):
  • wrong-way cyclists
  • joggers, pedestrians, skateboarders with backs to traffic and who often have headphones and who have no idea a cyclist is behind them
  • joggers running facing traffic who refuse to give bicycles right of way (ie move out of the bike lane)
  • anyone - cyclists, pedestrians, joggers ... who move into bike lanes without looking for oncoming traffic - usually for me it is a pedestrian focused on his/her smartphone
  • dog walkers on the sidewalk with dogs on long leashes and dog walkers who leave dog poop in the bike lanes
  • city police department which leaves trails of horse poop in the bike lanes - I'm not really bothered that the equestrian patrol sometimes uses the bike lanes but really horse poop is a hazard for a cyclist
  • gas powered scooters or gas powered kit bikes in the bike lanes - mainly because they spew fumes and exhaust
  • auto drivers who pass me only to make a sudden right turn in front of me
  • bus drivers who frequently sit idling blocking the bike lanes (when they have clearly marked bus spaces to park in which leave the lanes free)
  • food trucks that set up shop for sidewalk customers illegally blocking the bike lanes
  • cyclists who blow past me while I sit waiting for a red light (they blow through the red light) only then to slow me down when I catch them after the light turns green
  • pizza/food delivery vehicles that use the bike lanes for short term parking - same for FedEx, UPS etc
  • folks who live along bike lanes who set their trash bins on trash pickup day in the bike lanes
I'm probably leaving a few things off the list. But yes, sometimes the urban bike lanes in heavier trafficked areas are almost unusable or are even less-safe than riding in traffic.

Ha @Over50 you must be in NYC for such a comprehensive list.

The only thing I'd add is joggers running at night in the road without lights. If you can put on a special outfit just to run, you can strap on a light to run in the street at night.

Encountered that one recently and I freaked a little, didn't see them until like 10 feet away, luckily I was going uphill.

joggers running facing traffic who refuse to give bicycles right of way (ie move out of the bike lane)
Riding a big fatty helps with this.
dog walkers on the sidewalk with dogs on long leashes
Had one person cross midblock with a dog ahead of her on a fully stretched 30 foot extension leash. Dog was on my side sidewalk, person was on opposite side sidewalk. Fortunately the sun was behind me so I could see the leash. Yelled at her that apparently I care about her dog more than she does.
gas powered scooters or gas powered kit bikes in the bike lanes
Try gas dirt bikes passing you on the right in the bike lane when you're stopped at a red light and they're blowing it. At least they didn't pop a wheelie next to me (that was 50 feet down the road). No plates on those bikes.

cyclists who blow past me while I sit waiting for a red light (they blow through the red light) only then to slow me down when I catch them after the light turns green
...and then yell at you for not saying "on your left" as you pass them for the fifth time on your noisy knobbies, your bike fully in the motor vehicle lane.

Just curious if any of you run into bike riders in the middle of the street (riding the right direction) when there is a clearly marked bike lane a few feet to the right. I live in a tourist area with many bikers on the hotel rental bikes and they just take over the road. What is the proper response from someone operating a motor vehicle? I have yet to honk...

Back