Bike trailer questions

A bike trailer from Schwinn will surely be helpful to transport goods for short-distance travels. There are two ways to attach a Schwinn bike trailer attachment to a bike: with a coupler or without a coupler. Schwinn trailers come with a coupler and in case you are wondering, it is a tool attached to the left rear axle of your bike that has two holes on each end.
I tend to buy better or what I think is best quality accoutrements. I typically avoided anything labeled Schwinn in the last 3 or 4 decades. I wasn’t sure how much I’d use a trailer so I bought a $100 Schwinn trailer. The frame IMO is as good as those on trailers costing 2-3 times as much. Wheels are OK and the nylon panels are adequate. Someday I might need to improve the wheels but they too are just fine. $3000 build with a budget trailer suits me.

To end up with something like this?

View attachment 57065

It looks like it would be a lot of trouble trying to work out the details and might not be happy with the results. Unless you are wanting to do a project, I get that.
That tag-along bike is what I ended up with. Trek brand. Used.
1656670174876.png

I've just purchased a Bob Yak touring trailer for my Moustache Xroad HT. The bikes rack does interfer with fitting, found easist way is to remove trailer quick release wheel, changes angle of yoke which allows me to squeeze it onto axle. On plus sides its never coming off when under way and nobody is going to remove it from bike in hurry. Also need to change washers on bolts that bolt rack to bike, yoke rubs against one. Only taken it once around block and up hill with about 15-20kg, front of bike bit wobbly at low speed but ok +10kmhr, maybe more rider thing which just needs a bit of time towing it.
Impressed with 90L bag, takes 2man tent, 2 compact sleeping bag, thermarest and pile of clothes I threw in from laundry basket. Shouldn't have any problems suportting 2 on extended tours, which is plan. Still have option of panniers on bikes for additional items.
Having just one big bag to carry in and out of accommodation instead of few panniers will be plus when touring with wife, she can now have unladen bike. Bought extra battery so wife and I now have 1875wh between us, I'll need extra power for towing.
When touring with my son he will ride unladen normal bike and I'll carry all camping gear plus 2 spare batteries (borrow wife's).

I did look at toppeak journey but model they had didn't support 9mm QR axle plus it was only 65l bag. A bit two small to support 2 campers without panniers.

While single wheel trailers have few pluses especially on tight tracks one benefit of 2 wheel kids trailers is drivers give you lot more room. My sister found this out while touring in France, they bought cheap kids one to carry luggage. I don't think drivers would give 1 or 2 wheel cargo trailer same courtesy.

Well provide more feedback once I've done few more trips with trailer. Just waiting for fine and free weekend.

Cool, do you use it for a child to tag along or just as a trailer?
If just as a trailer you could pull the crank/chain/handlebars/seat to drop a few pounds.
It's for use as a cargo trailer only, so absolutely. I might keep the handlebars on, though, for helping secure the packs. :) I'm also going to install an extra attachment, using a shopping cart wheel.
P.S. I might even install an extra set of handlebars to replace the seat.

Last edited:
The piece which attaches to the bike seat post is something I don't like in the condition I got it in. It moves left and right in a clumsy fashion, which is why I've got the shopping cart casters to add on and make the attachment to seat post non-moving.
One of the worst features is it makes using a suspension seat post difficult or impossible. That needs some more thought on where to attach to.

1657558534942.png

Last edited:
Back