Bike shops closed in Michigan

That's unfortunate. Here in Utah they are considered essential just like auto repair shops. They are both needed to support transportation/commuting. We had hospital and medical workers explain thats how thry get to work at this critical time.

Sadly same problem here. In addition bus service is limited right now and many of these people do not own cars and need to ride bikes to the hospital. The national media has tried to portray the Michigan protests as about Trump and guns rights. Lots of people unhappy not just Trump supporters. Lots of really stupid rules here that cause problems and do nothing to help with spreading the virus.

Just to advocate for the devil here...

There is another thread about bike sales here where the current research suggests that the majority of people purchasing bikes are either looking for kids bikes, or purchasing from big box stores. Also that people are wanting bikes in the $500-800 price range. Also that bike shops are losing money having to discount process so steeply to compete.

So, with most folks buying from big box, and bike shops losing money, at what point does the lack of customers continue to qualify a business for "essential" status? That's an honest question. And it doesn't factor in possible virus spread risk - another issue.

Every business would like to be considered essential, but, at some point the lack of customers and/or the level of infection risk demonstrates that many, in fact, are not.

Might this be the case, here?

And my guess is the big box store bikes are going to need some professional repair work once they are ridden.

I don't live anywhere near Michigan, but all of my local bike shops are considered an essential service and all are really busy-mostly doing repairs.

And my guess is the big box store bikes are going to need some professional repair work once they are ridden.
Oh, they will! But, people buy what they can afford at the moment and don't think about the big picture when under duress...

My LBS here in Greensboro has stopped doing repairs - they hope to get going again in a week or two. Don't know if it's supply issues, or health/safety concerns. Our case numbers are still growing, though not as quickly threat past few days, do everyone is still nervous about going out unnecessarily.

My LBS in Cedar Rapids IA is still operating for service appointments, but only curbside. You drop your bike off, fill out a service ticket. They then call you with an estimate. When your bike is finished, you pay over the phone. They set it out at a pre arranged time for you to pick up. So there is never any direct contact between the customer and employee. Although this is not ideal, I am thankful they are still operating as I have my Gazelle Arroyo in the shop right now for what I thought was a motor noise. Turned out to be nothing serious, but took the opportunity to have them do a general tuneup maintenance.

My G.F. asked me to get my 25=year old Trek MTB ready for her to ride. It is in pristine condition. Called LBS to get the schrader/presta valve part to fill up the tires. Shop met me curb side with the part. Said they are real busy. I did not count on the Shimano trigger shifters gumming up. If I was able to get in the shop i probably would of gotten her an ebike. I am a tad impulsive.

I’m in VA where the bike shops are deemed essential. We have the same knuckleheads flying their Confederate flags, carrying AK’s etc. Here. The professional media is doing an excellent job despite criticism from conspiracy purveyors like Info Wars and their ilk. Extremely serious situation. Look at this chart

The professional media is doing an excellent job..........now that's funny! 🤣

I’m in VA where the bike shops are deemed essential. We have the same knuckleheads flying their Confederate flags, carrying AK’s etc. Here. The professional media is doing an excellent job despite criticism from conspiracy purveyors like Info Wars and their ilk. Extremely serious situation. Look at this chart
Agreed. The WA and NC and their county depts of HHS are also doing a great job keeping people informed of the facts - those are the two States I have personal experience with, so those are the ones I can speak of. On the other hand, a family member RN in a Covid ICU in Florida is ready to strangle the governor there.

That is a shame the MI governor didn't follow the DHS guidelines for determining essential businesses. It can feel arbitrary when certain exceptions are/aren't called out, overall the governors are having to paint with a pretty broad brush in their orders. Until recently here in WA, I couldn't go buy a car(unless I was an essential worker who had totaled my car), but I could go to a bike shop and buy a bike. Now auto dealerships are allowed to have online sales with delivery.

I appreciate that here in WA, the governor encouraged common sense and basically said as long as people take it seriously and follow the spirit of the stay at home order he wouldn't take it further.

I will say, I'm bemused every day on my way in to work to see that the bikini barista drive thru's have deemed themselves 'essential'.

Back