Bike Maps For Garmin Zumo XT

Jim1348

This is the second year with the Gazelle e-bikes that I bought for my wife and I. I have tried an old cell phone and Google Maps for bicycle trails. I really prefer the look of maps on my Garmin Zumo XT.

So, with that in mind, can anybody here recommend any free bike maps that can be downloaded onto the Garmin Zumo XT?

They are helpful and responsive. I did not know that I had to use Basecamp with my Garmin Zumo XT, so I might be making some progress, slowly.

Fooferdoggie, thank you, too!

Al, Jun 8, 2023, 08:05 PDT:
Hello Jim,

Al here, thanks for reaching out.

Garmin has their Zumo devices locked for transferring only through Basecamp, so you cannot do a direct file import into that device using the wireless transfer methods that work with other Garmin devices. However, you can export a GPX and then put it on Basecamp (see more here: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=rokwvJHZs08qQ8kK2gHAi6) and then have it available for use on your device.

You can export a route on Ride with GPS as a GPX file using these steps:
1. View route on the website
2. Click More> Export as File (See screenshot: https://s3.amazonaws.com/rwgps/screenshots/1413713May26.png )
3. Select GPX Track

If you have any additional questions, let us know and we'll be happy to help.
Take care,
Al

Someone just told me this morning that some bike trails are on the Garmin Topo maps. I really haven't used them in the past. So, I checked and I have TopoActive PS NA (Canada/Alaska, US and Middle America).

I did try them on my morning bike ride and the local bike trail was on these. Now I am wondering what additional information, if any, that the Garmin Cycle maps have.

I also see that Garmin has Garmin Topo U.S. 24K North Central on a microSD card.

What does Garmin Topo U.S. 24K maps have that Garmin TopoActive PS NA Maps doesn't have?

REI has a deal right now:

3 days only! Ends June 11. Members save 20% off one full-price item.
Just for members
Use code SUMMER23 to save on one full-price item.
Now through June 11. Terms apply.

I am tempted to buy the Garmin Topo U.S. 24K North Central microSD Card. If it shows ATV trails and bike trails, this might be a good choice for me.

I did buy the Garmin Topo U.S. 24K North Central microSD Card.

It states that it "Contains many routable trails, rural roads, city neighborhood roads, major highways and interstates." I went on a bicycle ride last night, when I tried routing from Point A to Point B on a trail, it would bring me to a nearby city street, rather than routing me on the bicycle trail. Is that how other bicycle GPSs behave, too?

I did buy the Garmin Topo U.S. 24K North Central microSD Card.

It states that it "Contains many routable trails, rural roads, city neighborhood roads, major highways and interstates." I went on a bicycle ride last night, when I tried routing from Point A to Point B on a trail, it would bring me to a nearby city street, rather than routing me on the bicycle trail. Is that how other bicycle GPSs behave, too?
a garmin with trailforks could route trails and such. but your GPS thinks your a car so your not going to get bike paths and such.

I did get some interesting information for Garmin Product Support

Hello James,

We don't have a set time or schedule for the map updates so unfortunately, we do not know when the next update will come out. For our City Navigator maps, those update up to three times a year.

The Zumo XT does not have the ability to route just off road exclusively without you creating routes and sending it over to the GPS. You can use Garmin Explore to create routes. You will also want to change your calculation mode to off-road/straight line. Here is information on our Explore website and how to create and send data and other resources:

Overview of the Garmin Explore Website

Items that Sync Through the Garmin Explore App

Importing Waypoints, Routes, and Tracks Into the Garmin Explore Website

Track, Route, and Waypoint Limits for the Garmin Explore Website

Transfer User Data To and From the Garmin Explore Website

Syncing, Adding, and Deleting Garmin Explore App Data on the zūmo XT GPS Navigator

Creating and Editing Waypoints, Routes, Tracks, and Activities on the Garmin Explore Website

You can also use third party GPX routing files to send to the device for routing:

Importing and Sending GPX Files onto a zūmo XT GPS Navigator

Thank you for choosing Garmin,

Back