Bike lock on my Tero X... found one that fits lower bracket!

Bradford D

Region
USA
I've finally found an ABUS lock and holder that fits the lower frame bracket!

Lock: ABUS Bordo "6055K Light Mini (60mm): https://www.abus.com/us/Recreationa...rity/Locks/Folding-locks/BORDO-Lite-6055-Mini

Holder: ABUS Holder "SH 6055 (61572)": https://www.abus.com/us/Recreationa...d-Security/Holders/Bracket-SH-6055-BORDO-Lite

It attaches and secures firmly to the two bolt posts - and has a velcro strap as well. The "LITE" holder hinges open and snaps shut - the velcro strap secures the holder from opening while trail riding.

The lock itself is VERY small - but can secure the frame to a post for a quick stop at a coffee shop.

Attachments

• Bordo 6055K 60.jpg
    Bordo 6055K 60.jpg
    234.1 KB · Views: 354
I picked this combo up. Some thoughts:

The holder tells you not to even mount it upside down, and not to leave the lock mounted during transport. But I think that advice might pre-date the strap, because the strap is not shown in those instructions. Even so, the plastic cage clips on more strongly than I expected given the warning and the velcro "helper". If you use the strap it has to be almost fully removed to access the lock. It does seem like it could store something else, but whatever it is would be in the way of your lock every time.

The lock is much flimsier than I expected. I have a foldylock on another bike, and I assumed this ABUS Bordo was going to be similar, just smaller. The 6055 uses a spring-loaded core, and it's hard to believe the arms are solid metal given the feel. It's probably vulnerable to shimming. It is very much a "keep honest people honest" sort of lock, which is probably fine for what I got it for (an always-available lock to give me a few minutes to go in the store or whatever). I had hoped it was at least the sort of lock that required an angle grinder (if only for a few seconds), but this lock can probably be defeated silently with bolt cutters or a nut splitter (or a shim).

The foldylock is about 2x the price but 10x the lock if you are not constrained to the weird mounting space of the Tero X.

Thanks again for the recommendation, @Bradford D !

@Bradford D congrats, you seem to be the first person to make that spot on the Tero X useful! I'm still waiting for @specialized to tell us what that space is supposed to hold. Sadly, that lock is not going to be of any use in Albuquerque. Guess I'll keep carrying my giant Abus ulock in my pannier.

@Bradford D congrats, you seem to be the first person to make that spot on the Tero X useful! I'm still waiting for @specialized to tell us what that space is supposed to hold. Sadly, that lock is not going to be of any use in Albuquerque. Guess I'll keep carrying my giant Abus ulock in my pannier.
unbelievable that such a prime company should make a bike with such stupid mounting places!! Ive got the Tero turbo 5 x too and have settled on a handlebar bottle mount. have yet to fit it on the bike and see what its like

By the way, I can confirm that you can just barely lock the rear wheel to the main frame with this lock (if you can't lock it to something and want to make it very hard to move or ride). I recommend starting with the lock body upside down so the key ends up in a better spot.

I've hit some serious bumps with this on my bike and it doesn't rattle and hasn't come loose at all.

One slight inconvenience is that when I hose off my bike the strap on the lock gets soaked and you really have to undo it and let it try out or you risk holding water next to the metal bits.

Back