Bike Light powered by my on/off switch connected to a battery bank?

hoboin

Region
USA
Hello all, i have a 30,000 mah battery that i use to record front and rear facing HD cameras, and inbetween the 2 is a usb on/off switch. So i have one more plug in the battery pack that i could use and i also have one more usb power switch, so i was thinking i could power a light. But my main 1000 lumen bike light will not automatically turn on when it gets the power, so im wondering if anyone knows of any light that would do that? I mainly want a very bright, over 1000 lumen or around that. I will be using this mainly to ride at night or early morning on the road when i bike commute or run errands.

I have that light. It will not turn on automatically when power is applied. You have to choose one of the three brightness levels by pressing the power button.

I bought two types. One came with a 8,4V 2x2 cell lithium battery. This one is brighter than the one that is powered by USB. Well, there's more voltage, so it's expected.

It isn't that bright. I can't power along on an unlit bike path because I'll still outrun the lights. Good on the street since cars will notice the light. Sometime drivers complain.

WHat was funny was I had two 8.4V power packs, and one of them had two dummy cells. They used to be about $10.99 on ebay with the 8.4V packs. The USB version was under $10, but that was before the big shortage. Read the amazon reviews. Overrated on lumens.

Last edited:
yeah i saw that, but even if it were less than half, 2 might be useful but i will pass. Thanks for the info. Not really seeing that many other options that are marketed like that as in no battery. There are motorcycle lights but those are powered with a plug or red and black cable.

I spotted the potholes after dark with the 500 lumen catseye light after a concert 9/24. But then I only ride 8-9 mph. I have a 100 lumen sunlite light I leave flashing; that one I can miss holes with it.
Don't buy a nightrider 500 light. You have to push the button 7 times to turn it on or off. That one drowned in water in the panier bag. I keep the catseye light in a peanut butter jar now to prevent drowning. I have had lights stolen off the bike when parked on the street is reason it rides in the bag. Lots of homeless people down by the church I do volunteer work at. They feed them down in that area. Even out in rich exurbia near my summer camp, people take screws out of the battery mount while I am grocery shopping. So far, always the wrong ones. There are 18.

wow pretty shocking, where i live in northern virginia there is very little crime but i am very lucky where i live. Also i am lucky that i can keep my bike inside my home and work when im not riding. The only time i lock up my bike is when i go to grocery store or walmart, the grocery store is very safe area but walmart is not as safe. But i have parked there 15+ times and have left my helmet and lights and nothing has been taken thankfully. I do worry about the light sometimes and do take it in if i feel unsafe at the time, but having a light mounted instead of just using a rubber mount would make me feel more secure.

I have bought 4 lights so far, "1000" lumen light was the last one i bought, it is pretty bright but i do want something brighter and more permanent. I just figured since i have this huge 30,000 mAh battery, i should properly use it and a good light makes sense as i love riding at night on roads.

Like one of these lights?
They have externally mounted batteries, you typically have to buy separate battery pack, from what I understand.
wow that is very bright, 10,000 lumen. I see it has the option to power via a battery pack which you can buy through them or just the light with a power cable. I see motorcycle lights and similar lights like this that have a power cable or the black and red lights. I think what i really need to do is figure out how to convert something like this into usb power.

In general, the specifications for a USB 1.0 and 2.0 standard downstream port, delivers up to 500 mA or 0.5A. Also, with a USB 3.0, it can provide up to 900mA or 0.9A, which translates into 4.5 watts. These power output specifications are a rating based on the 5 volts from each standard output. However, the USB 3.0 dedicated charging and charging downstream ports provide up to 1,500 mA or 1.5A, which translates into 7.5 watts.
So would that mean that the light can not exceed 4.5 to 7.5 watts? That seems low. It's hard to tell what a light would put out wattage wise.

How do other people go about riding their electric bikes at night? Randy Rides has a video on replacing the stock light with a more powerful one, but i am a bit hesitant to do that because it involves creating a new cable and possibly voiding the warranty on the bike. The aliexpress link, which is 40,000 lumen looks like a good option. If i need to buy one that uses it's own battery i am fine with that, just figured some other people may be doing something similar, as in wanting to run off a large battery pack but i don't see too many products geared towards that.

Would really like to hear what others do when riding on the road at night. I want to keep my stock light so i can use it on bike paths while i ride to work.

Besides the 500 lumen front light, I have two flashing red lights on the rear. One rechargeable via USB, a garmin, I use most of the time. When the garmin runs down, no battery indication, I have a brightz pink that runs on AAA batteries screwed on the back rack. Spare AAA batteries are in the flashlight in my toolkit. Being run over from the back could be a significant risk. When the moon is full I don't need a front light at all in the country, but I always light the back one on road. I leave the $8 100 lumen flashing light on the handlebars at all times, so sometimes at night I don't install the $45 500 lumen one stored in the pannier. Eastern forest Native Americans like me can have superior night vision to Europeans, Asians, Africans. I wear a ANSI green/yellow work vest with reflective stripes, from an industrial supplier.

I also prefer to keep the OEM light on my bike for visibility during normal riding. For riding trails at night and especially for tunnel riding, I use a handlebar mounted light with a built in battery. It can be recharged via the USB port on the bike's display. There are many such products out there and they vary widely in price. I use this one from Olight:

61wULbMA0kL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
P1060986a.jpg

It doubles as a handheld floodlight when not on the bike. Since it is a floodlight without a focused beam, it throws a lot of light to the sides which is important on the trail. It has low power settings for use on the road and won't blind oncoming traffic.

I mount it to the bars with these products from RAM:

P1080055a.jpg ramb201a.jpg ramb231zinc_img2.jpg

There have been many posts here on the subject. Try doing a search on "bike light" for more information.

wow pretty shocking, where i live in northern virginia there is very little crime but i am very lucky where i live. Also i am lucky that i can keep my bike inside my home and work when im not riding. The only time i lock up my bike is when i go to grocery store or walmart, the grocery store is very safe area but walmart is not as safe. But i have parked there 15+ times and have left my helmet and lights and nothing has been taken thankfully. I do worry about the light sometimes and do take it in if i feel unsafe at the time, but having a light mounted instead of just using a rubber mount would make me feel more secure.

I have bought 4 lights so far, "1000" lumen light was the last one i bought, it is pretty bright but i do want something brighter and more permanent. I just figured since i have this huge 30,000 mAh battery, i should properly use it and a good light makes sense as i love riding at night on roads.
Pitlock sells a locking bolt for headlights. I installed a set of Pitlocks including the headlight lock on one of my non-electric bikes. It is kind of a pain. I have to get the special key out even to adjust my seat. I haven't had anything stolen, but I try to be careful where I lock my bike up and never leave it unattended for very long.

https://www.bike24.com/p2233028.html

I would be wary of those no name Amazon and aliexpress branded lights that have silly claims such as "40,000" lumens or "1800" lumens for 15 bucks. They are usually way underpowered...you get what you pay for, basically.

I found an 8000 lumen light off slickdeals and im going to try that out. It might be a little big, if so i can just use it as an emergency/camping light. Anyone has suggestions on mounting it to bike?

edit: the original deal was for amazon link, but you can currently buy it on their website for a bit cheaper but it ships from China so will take 10 to 25 days.

sofin-light-8000lumen.jpg

This deal is for the Sofirn SP36 Pro Kit, an 8000 Lumen USB-C Rechargeable Flashlight (IPX8 Waterproof), includes 3 x 18650 batteries and a USB-A-to-USB-C charging cable, and is available through Amazon for $47.99, using PROMO CODE 408C7MHZ at the checkout.

I also prefer to keep the OEM light on my bike for visibility during normal riding. For riding trails at night and especially for tunnel riding, I use a handlebar mounted light with a built in battery. It can be recharged via the USB port on the bike's display. There are many such products out there and they vary widely in price. I use this one from Olight:

View attachment 102453 View attachment 102454

It doubles as a handheld floodlight when not on the bike. Since it is a floodlight without a focused beam, it throws a lot of light to the sides which is important on the trail. It has low power settings for use on the road and won't blind oncoming traffic.

I mount it to the bars with these products from RAM:

View attachment 102450 View attachment 102451 View attachment 102452

There have been many posts here on the subject. Try doing a search on "bike light" for more information.
Cool i will check this RAM thing out!

I just ordered the RAM-B-108BU 2" rail mount to hold the light and i am going to try to see how it works with my current clamp setup i use for my rear camera screen, which i feel has been very secure, that thing was $20 on amazon and can hold a ball of 1" so it should hold the mount well. If it doesn't i will spend the extra money and buy the u bolt or the more expensive c clamp.

Like one of these lights?
They have externally mounted batteries, you typically have to buy separate battery pack, from what I understand.
I have a pile of these and we use them. We have 1 or 2 of the big LEDs on all 5 of our E Bikes. They are great for an e bike but you need to look at the discussion Indian Joe and I are having. There are pics of the part that breaks. They did last about 6 months before the vibration broke the (choke? ferrite toroid?). They are really bright and with the 6cell pack they last 45min. My wife rides with two battery packs (sometimes 3) every night of the spring, summer and fall. I also have the first version you showed... the 3 diode light. They have the same doughnut wrapped with wire that will eventually break off. As to light its 3 diodes instead of ten or thirteen. 3 is good 10 is better for an E Bike. I am looking at trying to power these (the bigger LED (13 diodes) with my main battery. I did just buy lights that say motorcycle that run on 12v and have 4 diodes (Wupp brand) then I will get a power converter to take 60v (58) and step it to 12v. Indian Joe says the power stepper (a power converter is called a buck) on amazon for $25 wont last but I might try it anyway. It's rated 25A 300watts called Pro Chaser. The title of the discussion between Joe and I is "Lighting Woes." The second pic shows the Wire wrap (choke?) broken off it's sitting on the black (resistor?) Third pic is one not broken but with it's power wires pulled off. They should be attached to the driver in green.

Attachments

• 20220216_224247.jpg
    20220216_224247.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 170
  • 20220216_223919.jpg
    20220216_223919.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 171
  • 20220216_224051.jpg
    20220216_224051.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 177
All things considered These throw more light than anything else I've ever used. We have 5 18650 4cell flashlights called "Sky Ray" they are the same unit as shown above (the 13 diode led) but the batteries are inside and not powered by a pack. We have dropped them each 25-50 times and they all still work. Ebay $20. about three years ago. I dont know why the units made for the bike don't last as long. must be the vibration. Do no buy 18650 Batteries off amazon or ebay. They sell garbage and claim power that does not exist. 3500-4000mah is the upper limit for one 18650 cell right now. I've seen chineese cells claim 9999mah. cant happen does not exist. Read about fake batteries at battery bros. they lay it all out. I can tell you the Three stores I will buy from in the usa but don't want to get in trouble here by posting without knowing if it's allowed. I do love 18650 lithium Ion cells. Most E Bike batt packs have them inside.

Back