Good, inexpensive action cam

mojoe

Region
USA
Everyone loves action cams, but I have some different uses that I thought I'd share.

After some research, I bought an XTU Max action cam. It seems to be as good as the GoPro Hero 7 that I used to have, plus adding a few additional features. Although it works great as an action cam, I am using it for a different purpose.

One of the features is a "car mode", which makes it a dash cam. When you apply power, it records continuously, in segments (I set 5 minutes @ 1080/60). It will keep recording those 5 minute video segments until you power off the camera. When it fills up the memory card, the oldest videos are overwritten. I mounted the camera to the back of my trike, so if anyone hits me, I have evidence (I hope I never need it). It actually is rather interesting to watch the videos, seeing the receding scenery behind you.

I later bought another of the same camera to use facing forward. I haven't mounted it yet, but I will use another feature that lets me record one frame per second. This will give me a time lapse video of each day's ride. I plan to use this when I do my cross country trip next Spring.

The rear facing camera is powered by a USB power bank, for several days of use. When I mount the front facing camera, it will use the same power bank. I bought some micro-USB cables with an inline power switch on Amazon, so I don't have to plug/unplug things.

Back