Bike Friday

grench

Bike Friday has a folding bike (Diamond Lama) which will fit in a standard suitcase for air travel. This bike also has a 320 lbs rider weight limit. I am considering this bike for a DIY project with a Bionx or Grin Technologies rear hub kit for a travel bike. Try as I might I have not been able to find a local Bike Fiday to test ride. Does anyone on this forum have any experience with this brand? A couple of owners I have spoken with swear by them. Owners generally do...

I should add these bikes are american made in Oregon.

Even if the bike fits in plane luggage, the battery can't be flown on a commercial flight, whether packed or in carry on. You'd have to ship the battery to your destination.

Even if the bike fits in plane luggage, the battery can't be flown on a commercial flight, whether packed or in carry on. You'd have to ship the battery to your destination.
The limit is 160 watt hours. I will be using the stackable batteries. You can travel with three under the 160 watt hours each.

@grench , the stackable battery idea is clever. Do you have more info about the manufacturer, chemistry of the pieces and where these can be purchased? Traveling with lithium batteries has become much more complicated. Oh yeah, a pic of what they look like would be awesome!

@grench , the stackable battery idea is clever. Do you have more info about the manufacturer, chemistry of the pieces and where these can be purchased? Traveling with lithium batteries has become much more complicated. Oh yeah, a pic of what they look like would be awesome!
@Ann M. the stackables are a new product from Gin Texhnologies. Here is a YouTube which shows the batteries.

My son and I ride a Family Tandem and love it. Really quality builds and folds up really nice. I know the Lama folds up even nicer. I did a lot of research and in my opinion one of the finest foldables available. I've talked with LOTS of owners who have traveled with theirs and nothing but good things to say.

Back