Bike charger question

Taylor57

Would anyone know if the Lectric XP and Espin Sport chargers are compatible. I was low on battery today and at my sons house and considered charging with the XP charger. They look very similar. Anyone tried?

If the voltage output and the connector match, I'd say you are a go.
I doubt very much that any stock manufacturer charger is going to have an unreasonably high current output.
Anything under 5A I can't see being a problem in any case.
If you still have concerns... just don't do a full charge.

Basically, yes.

Many ebike chargers are interchangeable. I've purchased a few chargers from AliExpress, and as long as the voltages and connectors matche, they're fine.

Just like you don't exactly need Samsung charger to charge an LG or Sony cellphones, as long as the connector (USB-C ?) and the voltage and amperage match.

Yeah, I am having my son text a picture of the XP charger so I can compare it to my Sport. My guess is they are compatible. It would have saved me some battery anxiety yesterday when I limped home on 1 bar.

And it got me to thinking, why hasnt someone invented the Ebike Quickcharge (patent pending) that you can whip out of your Panniers and get an extra mile in case of emergency? We have the little quick chargers for our phones in case we run low. Why not a Quickcharge the size of a deck of cards?

The only other thing I would confirm is polarity on the connector. Most follow the established orientation but this is not set in stone anywhere.
As far as a quick charger that really doesn't make sense with a battery this large.
What I did to deal with the issue was to purchase a battery larger than my needs. I could have easily gotten away with 10ah or 14ah for my needs but decided to go with the 17.5ah for stability and built in extra capacity.
Having to monitor a second battery that will only be used for emergencies really is a lot of extra cost and something else to maintain.

The only other thing I would confirm is polarity on the connector. Most follow the established orientation but this is not set in stone anywhere.
As far as a quick charger that really doesn't make sense with a battery this large.
What I did to deal with the issue was to purchase a battery larger than my needs. I could have easily gotten away with 10ah or 14ah for my needs but decided to go with the 17.5ah for stability and built in extra capacity.
Having to monitor a second battery that will only be used for emergencies really is a lot of extra cost and something else to maintain.

I understand, but we used to think a desktop computer was small and efficient and now some of our phones have processors faster than most peoples home computers. It would seem the Quickcharge is right around the corner for Ebike users that just need that little extra boost to get to their destination and avoid the call to AAA...

If the labeled specifications are matching..

So here are the 2 chargers for the XP and the Sport. Compatible? Also, I noticed after having my Sport plugged in for about 2 hours, the charger was super hot as in you could barely touch it. Thoughts?

Attachments

• XP charger.jpg
    XP charger.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 342
  • Sport Charger.jpg
    Sport Charger.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 611
What do you mean by that?

I think quick charger will be beneficial for large batteries?

What I think (or thought) Taylor was referring to and what I was addressing was a battery powered quick charger that is currently available for phones and such. If you are talking about an AC powered (higher amperage output) quick charger... Go for it.

What I think (or thought) Taylor was referring to and what I was addressing was a battery powered quick charger that is currently available for phones and such. If you are talking about an AC powered (higher amperage output) quick charger... Go for it.

Yes, I was referring to something about the size of a deck of cards that would give you enough juice to go another couple of miles much like the gadgets I carry when I travel or in my emergency kit I would use if my phone ran out of juice...

Yes, I was referring to something about the size of a deck of cards that would give you enough juice to go another couple of miles much like the gadgets I carry when I travel or in my emergency kit I would use if my phone ran out of juice...

Maybe that is around some future corner.. but the voltage and current required would be too expensive and cumbersome now.
Like I said... Much easier to just buy a larger capacity battery from the start

edit: A more probable solution would be to have a battery /BMS that can accept a high current charge that you can plug in and get 25% back in a very short period of time.

You should ask Lectric for fastest charging rate.
Also this is a good read.

0&btsid=0bb0624116019327507184304e4c45&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_[/URL]

From that article... I'm a #3 man ;)

IMG_20201005_181654_812.JPG

We have the little quick chargers for our phones in case we run low. Why not a Quickcharge the size of a deck of cards?

I don't think the math (size and weight) works. I have a little brick battery for USB charging, half the size of a deck of cards and when new it delivered a legit 5200 milliAmpHour, enough to charge a big phone twice. At 5 volts, not 60 volts. So double the size for 10.4 AHr, then divide by 12 for (lossless, not) stepup to 60 volts, and I have a quickcharger that can add 0.87 Amphour to my 672 Amphour 48 volt battery.

ETA: what would be cool is a bridge cable charger, where if your battery is about to bonk, your buddy who's still got 20 miles of range left could give you a boost over an hour.

Last edited:
Yes, just make sure to pick the right connector.

There are different charging rate available. For DC 2.1mm x 5.5mm, you have an option to go from 2A to 5A.
Anything higher would require more heavy duty connectors like XLR connector.

Just be careful though, I am not familiar with Lectric bikes.
I don't know if going higher A rating would cause fire or battery explosion.
I don't know the C rating of your battery pack.

You should ask Lectric for fastest charging rate.
Also this is a good read.

According to Ravi " So, if your battery is 14Ah in capacity, a charger that charges at 2A to 5A is perfectly fine. "
But your battery is 10.4Ah, so it might be overkill.

2A

3A

4A

5A

So I bought a charger with a fan from Aliexpress. (took forever to show up paid around 60) The connector looks exactly like the charger that came with my Espin Sport. The info on each charger seem almost the same with the difference being the new charger is a 4A output vs the 2A on the stock unit. Maybe I just answered my own question-will the Sport not work with a 4a charger? When I plug in the 4a and connect to Sport I get nothing. Supposedly the fan is supposed to kick in...

Attachments

• 4a vs 2a.jpg
    4a vs 2a.jpg
    535.5 KB · Views: 249
Try turning your battery on to charge. Some chargers pulse on startup and wake the BMS so it will accept the charge. Others do not so you have to wake it up manually by turning the battery on. Once it starts charging you can turn the battery off.

and yea, voltage too, there's a little red switch thing

Yeah, it was originally set to 220 so I switched it to 110 and tried again. The instructions say that when plugged in the fan will come on. I could not get the fan to come on at 110 or 220. I guess I should monkey with it a little more...

Try turning your battery on to charge. Some chargers pulse on startup and wake the BMS so it will accept the charge. Others do not so you have to wake it up manually by turning the battery on. Once it starts charging you can turn the battery off.

Ding, ding ding, we have a winner. Thanks Rocket. I plugged it back in with the battery on, the 2 red lights came on and the fan started working. I think it is charging. Many thanks to you and the guys above that chipped in with the info. It takes a village and sometimes my girlfriend hints I'm the village idiot!

Back