Bicyclist collides with a bear!

I mean, what are the odds of hitting a bear — even in the woods? And the bear not holding a grudge?

Riding a bike is just one Pascal's wager after another. (The reference is to the way the famous 17th century French polymath gamed out an extremely improbable risk with extremely high stakes. Ultimately, he chickened out, but the approach is still useful.)

When you ride the beaches here in SoCal, there's always a chance that a kraken lurking in the surf will pluck you right off the sand with those long tentacles. Odds don't get much lower, and stakes don't get much higher than that, but unlike Pascal, I do it anyway.

Last edited:
Screen grab from an Igram reel.....

IMG_2937.jpg
That was the first hit and let's just say it didn't end there or well for the biker it looked like. I even think it was from a Spanish speaking poster. Olè.

We happened to come across this female foraging with her three cubs while we were cycling along the David Thompson Hwy in Clearwater Country last summer. Just down the road was a public campsite and they were headed in that direction.

PXL_20220807_002755831.jpg

Apparently, the bear that vandalized this tourism sign wasn’t too pleased with the service that it received at the gate. They must have revoked its park pass.

99131963_1297128280478244_3500596374297116672_n.jpg

Last edited:
American black bears are omnivores. Google it. Attacks on humans are rare but they absolutely do happen. People have died. Google it. Feeding bears in the Smoky Mountains and many other places can put you in jail. Google it.

TT

Bears are omnivorous and opportunistic feeders and will happily eat meat and hunt if that is where the calories are.

The major bear freeways in my part of the world are associated with where the sockeye salmon runs are.

Interestingly, I saw a bear a couple of days ago on my morning ride. No real interaction as we just crossed paths and went our separate ways.

Back