bicycle carrier for Turbo Vado?

Professorai

Since it weighs 55 pounds, I can no longer use my Saris Solo. I just tried the Tyger 1 bike trunk rack, rated at 55 lbs, but the fat downtube got in the way, so I returned it. Now I am considering a Thule T1 but I will have to cut down the front fender because it clamps to the tire/fork joint.

What are you all doing to take your bike for a ride away from home/work?

I tried to go cheaper, I tried 3 different ones, looked at at least 10 of them at a shop and I had to finally spend 600 bucks and 325 for a uhaul installed hitch.
The rack is Thule T2 Pro XT 2. While one of our Specialized Comos were on order, we rented the Vado a few times. We were able to put the front tire gripper lever on, butted up to the edge of the fender. It was sturdy.
Many trips this summer, so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_1008.jpg
    IMG_1008.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,182
Let us know how you like the rack. I just got the Thule Easyfold, and really like it. We also have an Upright Designs rack, which hangs bikes by their front wheel, and it works great to carry a few ebikes!

Thanks EbikeMom. The T1 is a very nice carrier indeed, tho I hate IKEA-like international picture instructions. The hitch pin lock is very awkward. And it takes up too much room in the garage, so I had to build a stand out of four 1 foot pieces of 2x4 with a 1.75x2" hole.

Thanks EbikeMom. The T1 is a very nice carrier indeed, tho I hate IKEA-like international picture instructions. The hitch pin lock is very awkward. And it takes up too much room in the garage, so I had to build a stand out of four 1 foot pieces of 2x4 with a 1.75x2" hole.

Before I got the pro xt Thule, I got the Thule t1 and my Specialized Como XL had the back tire barely balanced on, the bike was too long for the rack. I guess your wheelbase on your Vado is less? The rack shop agreed and took it back.

My LBS is a large, established shop and they quit selling bike racks because they are so much trouble. That's great you found one to work relatively quickly.

Thanks Volts. My XL Turbo Vado's rear wheel is centered with the slider about an inch from the "stop screw". I suppose that Thule could easily sell a 6 inch extension bar for XXL bikes.

For a less expensive option, I went with a Saris Freedom 2. It will hold two bikes up to 60lbs each. I was able to pick it up for 219.00 online

my sedan only has a 1.25" hitch so the Pro XT won't work. How do you feel about the way these carriers basically grip the front wheel (and tie down the rear) instead of holding the frame?

If you are referring to the Saris Freedom 2, it connects at the wheels and on the frame. I have a step thru with fenders and needed something that I can fasten to the lower part of the frame, which it does. I also added some velco straps, not because it needed it but for further stability. I have a small honda civic 2 dr couple, which is closer to the ground and added additional straps just in case the bottom got bumped. I also purchased separately a Locking Cable & Hitch Tite Combo, so I could lock the bike up while on the rack and hitch. https://www.saris.com/product/locking-cable-hitch

Review:

On the T1 my LBS instructed me: Not on the fender, but on front tire, butted up against the fender. I'd rather hold down the frame than a wheel, but all these hitch ebike carriers are wheel centric!

Here is my DYI stand for the Thule T1. Besides the four 1' sections of 2x4 which frame a 2" by 1.5" hole, I had to rout a slot for the end screw.

Attachments

• IMG_20180907_184508.jpg
    IMG_20180907_184508.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 545
1upUSA makes terrific racks and the customer service is very, very good...I looked at any number of racks before making a decision and the plus factors were the ability to fold it up for storage (or to carry in my trunk if I wanted); the ease of anchorage to my trailer hitch, along with some protection from theft because of their specialized tool for mounting the rack (and they give you two of them); the total ease of mounting and dismounting a bike(s). The mounted bikes are very secure (and stable); no straps, no ties, no frame holding mechanism. Extremely adjustable to fit different wheel sizes...

I got the Kuat NV 2, which works the same way as the Thule T1. My bike has fenders, so what I do is put the front clamp lightly on the fender (I have a pretty solid metal fender) then buy a nice Velcro strap and strap down the front wheel. Adding the front strap really secures down the bike a lot more, which is perfect in less ideal situations like bikes with fenders.

Back