BH just pulled out of US market ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
What feels cheap on your 777 bike? I didn't like the brakes initially but much happier after a few rides. I think I just needed to break them in. Attention to detail is pretty good IMO. Heck, even the grips have screws to hold them in place.

I texted the former Executive Director of BH USA, he left the company last year, I think. I hoped he might know something. We shall see.

The biggest issue here in North America is ebikes are consumer goods, leisure products. If they were transportation vehicles, under DOT, and the company remained in business they would be forced by regulation to support purchases for 10 years, whether they remained in country or not. I will wait for for confirmation they are leaving. Either way there's nothing any of us can do.

Ya know, when this was brought up a few weeks ago in the '50% off BH' thread I fired off an email to BH Spain because I also was met with silence, and I was wrong btw, from BH USA. In fact BH USA had responded back but my email thought it was spam.

I really don't know if they have or are in the process of leaving the US market or not, but my response from the Export Manager for BH seems to contradict that. Time will tell I guess.

Dear William,

I apologize for not getting an answer. I inform you that our US office continues operating normally.

I have passed your request to our office there, and they should get in contact with you shortly. In case you do not receive an answer within the next 3-4 days, please contact me directly and we will give you the necessary support from our HQ in Spain.

Best regards,

Irati Mtz.Agirrezabala

Export Manager BH Bikes

Larry is no longer with the company. Do you know even know that, or are you just going to bash people like you do so many ebikes you've never tried ?

I didn't knew that, and the email he sent me was from 2weeks ago. Things change fast.. I also noticed that Dennis the tech. rep. was not around any longer. The new Tech rep. is Jon.
Those are just employee chAnges within a company , that is totally normal.

At this point , the answer is clear that Bh it's still present in Us. I got my emails Answered as recently as 2days ago and the other email that BillH had received also makes that evident.
Waiting for their 2020ebikes -April/March.

Last edited:
an email to BH Spain because I also was met with silence, and I was wrong btw, from BH USA. In fact BH USA had responded back but my email thought it was spam.

Thanks for reaching out to them. Is that a recent email ?

JMO : Seems the more I research What I find is the vast majority of issues are not mechanical they are display,ap,pc generated issues. Makes me think the more basic I can go the better : After all I don't need GPS or something that monitors when it's time to take a Piss:)

It stands to reason that delicate displays subjected to the rigors of any type of Bike Ride : Let alone the elements : Are going to have issues I read someone's post on Automatic Shifting ???? NAH Again this is My Personal Opinion : I see the guys like Brownie who don't seem to have issues : Has a Bike that just has the basics :

After all it is just a Peddle Bike : With a Motor and someway of sensing cadence : If I'm ever in the jungle and get lost : GPS won't work anyway : :) AGAIN JMPO

I did hear back about BH (see my post above). I didn't want to believe it, but I do now. BH Ebikes are leaving the US market, for now at least. The fitness division will carry on as it has for many, many years.

I do see this news a little glass half full... maybe a quarter full. With the fitness side of the company still in business in the US, the company should continue to want to protect their reputation. Hopefully shipment of parts won't be a problem, as they will be shipping fitness bikes, parts and accessories to the US.

Keep the faith! Next year it could change again.

Some of this could be because in America Bicycles are much more of a Fun thing . Then they are in Other countries as a Commuter Alternative to the Expensive Car. In My Area Gas is Now 1.97 a Gallon : Not top mention the average cost to licence a Car in America is less then $200.00 a Year>

The Biking Industry is less of a necessity and more of a Luxury

Thanks for reaching out to them. Is that a recent email ?

Got it 2/17/2020. Jon O from BH USA got back to me next day regarding my initial inquiry.

Hard to believe in that short time things went the way it appears it has.

Got it 2/17/2020. Jon O from BH USA got back to me next day regarding my initial inquiry.

it's hard for EU-based companies to maintain two different strategic markets. In terms of numbers, EU market is 1000 times bigger than US and they make a LOT more profit in EU.
So, why would they spend time and effort to push their products into a market that is not yielding any returns?

Kalkhoff (left the market in 2017)
Focus (left the market in 2017)
R&M (very minimal presence, no warehouse or stationed personnel)
BH (left the market in 2020)
FLYER ( did not enter the market at all)
CUBE (very minimal presence)

Jack Welch pulled out of any business where GE was not #1 or #2 and he became known as Neutron "jack".

So, it makes sense for these companies to focus on markets where they have healthy profits.

And Haibike leaving the market or at the least is in limbo?

I think R&M is still adding dealers (just added a major player in my area anyway). I think their strategy is a wise one. Which is to send bikes as they are ordered and not to stock distribution centers here. And with no accumulated inventory, they don't have to play the price slashing game every year. With all the competition leaving, their longer wait times and higher prices will not look as bad to potential buyers.

*edited for misquote.

it's hard for EU-based companies to maintain two different strategic markets. In terms of numbers, EU market is 1000 times bigger than US and they make a LOT more profit in EU.
So, why would they spend time and effort to push their products into a market that is not yielding any returns?

Jack Welch pulled out of any business where GE was not #1 or #2 and he became known as Neutron "jack".

So, it makes sense for these companies to focus on markets where they have healthy profits.

Unfortunately US market is a hard one to exist for these EU brands. Lot's of things can be said(cars are cheap, infrastructure is lacking) but in short there is not enough demand for mid drive bikes that are mostly good for recreation and mountain biking. Also EU bikes (other than emtbs) are not designed with US customers in mind.

When you have a small demand you only have a few so called luxury brands which overprice their offerings. Unfortunately right now that is what we are going through.

Still, it opens space for smaller manufacturers, newcomers to come up with ebikes that addresses the needs of the people in this market.

Last edited:

Same here, i got a prompt response from him as well. A few members here are not paying attention to the facts:

- Spain says Bh US is here to stay
- Emails for warranty issues were answered right away
- US website functions normal

Mike, Ravi if you guys have facts that contradict those 3 things above, let us know, don't just spread fake info.
We can't have only inferior Bosch mid drive ebikes here in the states. My BH IGH japanese Dapu motor is @14-15.000miles and zero issues !! I keep trying to overheat it , 70Celsius degrees on the controller and nothing. The Back up parts are accumulating inches of dust....

Last edited:
Larry is no longer with the company. Do you know even know that, or are you just going to bash people like you do so many ebikes you've never tried ?

Now that we know the answer , can you adjust/correct the thread title in order to not spread panic ?

Or is Specialized paying you also to be their dealer and ignore the other brands ?

The other brands ... let me tell you smthng. if i were to ride any of the Giants, Treks, Specialized, Stromers the way i rode my BH and for almost 15.000miles w/o any issues except a stolen display, any of those brands would have had :
- cracked frames or motor gears
- battery issues
- display issues
- motor issues
- MANY other issues

The many threads on those brands and their issues are self explanatory.

But i also had a ton of analog bike riding and teaching(cycling coach) before my ebikes and know the bike stores games very well. So, with 100-120k miles on acoustic bikes , your bs trying to sell me a Specialized will never fly.

There are: Canyon, Storck, BH, Colnago, Bianchi , Cyfac and a few others. Those are real bike/ebike brands with hundreds of years of history and best paint, design, components, etc...

With Experience one can take a perfect good judgement on what is good and what's not.

Now between you and me , i am going to spurge soon on the TREK Domane +HP. That one gets my Platnium Award for the best overall 2020ebike , Best design. And if the motor or battery breaks i can open it up, replace/upgrade anything needed. Experience.

Last edited:
Ebiker01, whatever you want to believe. Carry on with your poturage. No different than your reaction when I called it a month ago. Seems clear to me from J.R.'s post:

I did hear back about BH (see my post above). I didn't want to believe it, but I do now. BH Ebikes are leaving the US market, for now at least. The fitness division will carry on as it has for many, many years.

Same here, i got a prompt response from him as well. A few members here are not paying attention to the facts:

- Spain says Bh US is here to stay
- Emails for warranty issues were answered right away
- US website functions normal

Mike, Ravi if you guys have facts that contradict those 3 things above, let us know, don't just spread fake info.
We can't have only good mid drive ebikes here in the states. My BH IGH Dapu motor is @14-15.000miles and zero issues !!

In reality my post was more me acquiescing to the fact that BH Bikes is actually departing the USA market for the time being. Too bad, I really like their 2020 lineup of bikes.

BH Bikes USA is discontinuing ebike sales in the US.

BH Bikes USA will continue sales of their fitness line of bikes in the US.

Therefore the website BH Bikes USA isn't going anywhere.

Hopefully this isn't permanent. The company will still be selling bikes here, just not ebikes. All current owners of ebikes should be fine for warranty. Service parts could be slowed. Finding a dealer to work on warranty service could be an issue, but that last issue is just my opinion. BH/Easy Motion make great bikes. Enjoy the ride! I'm not going to spend one minute worrying about something that may never happen. BH has treated me well over the years. I expect that to continue.

Back