BH bike truck load at Lenny's. Anyone else catch this on their Instagram?

"It was mentioned earlier that the sale bikes have Brose S motors limited to 20mph (Class 1)."

"Let's hope that somebody there at Lenny's has the ability to change the bike's top assist speed from an Euro mandated 15.6mph to 20mph. I'm sure it's just a software change but Lenny's should be the one doing it."

Do you even read other posts? All the info you are griping about has been talked about in this very thread.....They had access to a little over 100 bikes from model year '20/'21, posted on Instagram, 100 so bikes went poof and without needing alot of advertising. Now they just have to get them shipped! According to the gal I was in contact with they are down a few techs to Covid, which btw is still ongoing.....

"It was mentioned earlier that the sale bikes have Brose S motors limited to 20mph (Class 1)."

"Let's hope that somebody there at Lenny's has the ability to change the bike's top assist speed from an Euro mandated 15.6mph to 20mph. I'm sure it's just a software change but Lenny's should be the one doing it."

Do you even read other posts? All the info you are griping about has been talked about in this very thread.....They had access to a little over 100 bikes from model year '20/'21, posted on Instagram, 100 so bikes went poof and without needing alot of advertising. Now they just have to get them shipped! According to the gal I was in contact with they are down a few techs to Covid, which btw is still ongoing.....
Yeah, I read the other posts. The only one of them all mentioning a 20 mph cut off is you. Not the email I got from CL this afternoon about this sale. Not on his facebook page. Not the screen shot earlier in this thread. (my sincere apologies-I don't have instagram) That's cool, though, if you say it's 20, then it's must be 20. Just like when you say it's got the 21700 cells, why pretty much anyone can re-cell the battery. 🤣 Just raising points that might be of interest to some, maybe not to others.

The problem here is that Lenny's as of this writing, 4 days after making their availability of these bikes on Facebook, known, still has not published just what bikes they have arriving; bike model name, sizes or prices. I don't know what is so hard for them to put this info on their facebook page or website....

Let's hope that somebody there at Lenny's has the ability to change the bike's top assist speed from an Euro mandated 15.6mph to 20mph. I'm sure it's just a software change but Lenny's should be the one doing it.

@JRA--Got a line on a US battery rebuilder who will re-cell a proprietary battery (Yamaha, Brose, Bosch, Shimano)? I looked with no luck. And I've looked for a long time. None will touch it because of the proprietary-no spare parts available for sale to the public-BMS and other internal and external components.

Regards to proprietary: Somebody with more expertise might be able to provide insight as to whether a Brose Specialized BMS, charger and motor, will "talk" to a BH Brose battery BMS, charger and motor. Heck, the battery fit in both bikes? As a Haibike Yamaha owner, I can tell you that my Yamaha external battery will power up and run an older BH Rebel Lynx with no problems. And yet, Giant has a Yamaha drive and battery that is proprietary only to that bike brand, and not the Haibike or BH line of Yamaha's. That's something for you folks buying these bikes might want to ask if you have any thoughts of replacing that BH battery with a Specialized battery further on down the line.

Good luck and many happy miles to the owners of these "new" BH bikes, I sincerely mean that.

Oh, and I bought my Haibike Full FatSix from Lenny's, over 5 years ago now. Best bicycle purchase I ever made. But there will always be a leap of faith in buying sight-unseen, online. Especially in the area of ebike drive and battery system....

Totally understand all that. Bottom line, I'm not worried about it. Having spoken on the phone with them a couple times this week - they aren't publishing specific models because I don't think they expect these to be around for an appreciable amount of time. When I spoke with someone today, they literally visually confirmed the 1 bike we discussed was actually there and in the box before putting my order through. At this point I don't see this as anything other than excess inventory that was negotiated to bring over for sale.

Perhaps BH is testing the waters again, but who knows.

Full Fat Six? I'm jealous! Fat Bikes (at least the legit MTB ones) seemed to have come and gone as a niche - even 27.5+ is on the outs. Fat tires are now relegated to sub-$2K hub-drive ebikes sold online, I'm just not interested in that kind of drive or level of quality in build/components.

These were the 8th and 9th bikes I've purchased from them. Visited for a few of those purchases, had others shipped (I'm in Minneapolis, about a 4.5hr drive). Planning to keep my current Atom X and we are selling the others, so 3 Atom X bikes only. I have about 700 trouble-free miles on the current one so far after 2 years.

Totally understand all that. Bottom line, I'm not worried about it. Having spoken on the phone with them a couple times this week - they aren't publishing specific models because I don't think they expect these to be around for an appreciable amount of time. When I spoke with someone today, they literally visually confirmed the 1 bike we discussed was actually there and in the box before putting my order through. At this point I don't see this as anything other than excess inventory that was negotiated to bring over for sale.

Perhaps BH is testing the waters again, but who knows.

Full Fat Six? I'm jealous! Fat Bikes (at least the legit MTB ones) seemed to have come and gone as a niche - even 27.5+ is on the outs. Fat tires are now relegated to sub-$2K hub-drive ebikes sold online, I'm just not interested in that kind of drive or level of quality in build/components.

These were the 8th and 9th bikes I've purchased from them. Visited for a few of those purchases, had others shipped (I'm in Minneapolis, about a 4.5hr drive). Planning to keep my current Atom X and we are selling the others, so 3 Atom X bikes only. I have about 700 trouble-free miles on the current one so far after 2 years.
Thanks, Paul! :) I had a chance to look at an EBR member's CL purchased, BH full suspension Rebel, powered by the Yamaha PW-X drive. I came away thinking the BH was every bit a quality built and specced ebike as the Haibike was. So I totally get the enthusiasm BH owners have for their ebikes.

Fully agree with you about the current e-fatbike situation ongoing. The higher quality e-fats like the H-Bike and the Bulls are no longer offered for sale; while the market is flooded with low tier, hub drive, super heavy monstrosities from China. And I see as BH up and left our US market, I see Haibike is or has, gone the same route as well. That really is a loss for us here, cause what remains are the low tier ebikes on one end and the uber high priced Treks, Specialized, Bulls and other at the other end.

I live in NJ. I got the H-Bike from CL in perfect condition in about a weeks time in spring, 2017. Just went over 18,000 miles on it last week or so. Not one bit of trouble with the Yamaha drive, so that experience has cemented my opinion about a Yamaha drive bike just as the BH bike has made you a convert. I completely understand! I also look forward to some pictures and some ride reports on your new BH's. That blue bike is really a sharp looking ebike. I like it!

Yeah, I read the other posts. The only one of them all mentioning a 20 mph cut off is you. Not the email I got from CL this afternoon about this sale. Not on his facebook page. Not the screen shot earlier in this thread. (my sincere apologies-I don't have instagram) That's cool, though, if you say it's 20, then it's must be 20. Just like when you say it's got the 21700 cells, why pretty much anyone can re-cell the battery. 🤣 Just raising points that might be of interest to some, maybe not to others.
They mentioned to me as well that these will be calibrated to US class 1 20mph standards.

To the comment above about the Brose SMag motors. Today I found out that the shipment actually included some Xtep models as well, which are shimano drives. I was tempted to switch, but wanted to have battery cross compatibility between all 3 bikes. Always wanted to try a Shimano drive, I've heard good things about them. I absolutely love the way Brose motors work though (Yamaha to me is a close second, tried Bosch and wasn't a fan...at least a few years back).

On the subject of haibike, I think they are still sold in the US but just under distributor rights possibly? Pretty sure I have seen them for sale with current models through Eric's bike shop (local chain). I could be wrong, and they definitely don't have the full direct presence they had up through 2019.

I frankly find it unfortunate that the low end market won out at this point in the US. I get it though, ebikes aren't cheap to begin with, and bikes in general are looked at as toys here my most instead of serious transportation alternatives.

A bike is a bike though, any sort of increase in growth and adoption is a positive in my book!

They mentioned to me as well that these will be calibrated to US class 1 20mph standards.

To the comment above about the Brose SMag motors. Today I found out that the shipment actually included some Xtep models as well, which are shimano drives. I was tempted to switch, but wanted to have battery cross compatibility between all 3 bikes. Always wanted to try a Shimano drive, I've heard good things about them. I absolutely love the way Brose motors work though (Yamaha to me is a close second, tried Bosch and wasn't a fan...at least a few years back).

On the subject of haibike, I think they are still sold in the US but just under distributor rights possibly? Pretty sure I have seen them for sale with current models through Eric's bike shop (local chain). I could be wrong, and they definitely don't have the full direct presence they had up through 2019.

I frankly find it unfortunate that the low end market won out at this point in the US. I get it though, ebikes aren't cheap to begin with, and bikes in general are looked at as toys here my most instead of serious transportation alternatives.

A bike is a bike though, any sort of increase in growth and adoption is a positive in my book!
Paul, regards to Haibike, you pretty much have it. The parent German Haibike division was bought by a US consortium: https://www.pinkbike.com/news/owner...bike-and-more-bought-in-156-billion-deal.html Haibike USA is their own entity, independent of Haibike. They were without product for sale a couple years ago, then released the current, very restricted lineup of low specced, lower power Bosch and Yamaha mid drives in 2022. Literally a skeleton of what they once were when it seemed Lenny's, Propel and New England Electric Bikes had what seemed like a dozen-plus various H-Bike models for sale here in the US. Now, the best specced emtb they have for sale in their lineup is a 27.5 dual suspension, Yamaha ST with just a 500wh internal battery. Nice, okay, but what a step down from what they were once doing here. The Haibike USA facebook page has not been updated by the USA folks since 2021 and at that, their last replies to people were in regards to the parent companies sale and the uncertain future they face because of it.

I'd not be surprised when H-Bike leaves the US for good, that CL announces a buy of 100 H-Bikes at a steep discount, just as they did for BH. Even Euro H-Bike buyers on the Haibike dot com facebook page have complained for a very long time about the lack of product (after putting a down payment on it); as well as the Flyon fiasco and the carbon rear triangle cracking on their full carbon All Mountain current models. They've lost direction and focus after longtime CEO Susanne Puello left the company they founded.

Regards to Shimano drives, yes, I've seen them listed in the BH Euro site. I'm glad you stuck with Brose. There are far too many documented motor failures with the Shimano, to take a chance. When you have time, go to the Ebike section of MTBR and take a look for yourself. It's rather disturbing to see these bike buyers and owners left high and dry, many with very, very minimal miles on the odometer.

Good talking to you and have a great, safe one!

Both bikes arriving tomorrow, super excited!

Will be putting them together inside as unfortunately it is going to feel like over 100 tomorrow with the heat index.

I'm in a little bit of a conundrum. I can't decide now whether to sell my current atomx hard tail or my bulls e-stream Evo 3fs 27.5 bike. I ride the atomx more, but would hate to part with the bulls. I'm guessing once I get the new atomx carbon up and running that decision will be more clear!

Last edited:
I am going to chime in here as the voice of caution. I bought a BH Atom Diamond Wave Pro in 2019, with a five year warranty. I love this bike. Then BH pulled out of North America. Having never had a warranty on a bike before, having never required anything from a bike company after I bought a bike, I wasn't too worried about it. And nothing I could do about it anyway.

Flash forward to now, and my battery has died of heatstroke. There is no way to get a replacement. The battery rebuilders say they cannot rebuild this battery. BH in Spain sent me a list of retailers they say they still work with, but the ones I have called on that list say they won't deal with BH anymore. I'm not talking about warranty work, fuggettaboutit - - I'm just trying to buy a replacement battery from the manufacturer, and they won't sell to me. We happen to be going to northern Spain in Oct and I am going to try to buy a battery and have it shipped, but who knows if this is even possible?...

So y'all better think twice about spending several thousand on an un-repairable ebike, otherwise you may be stuck with a perfectly good but dead ebike you can't resuscitate.

You are holding out on us.
Show pictures or it didn't happen.
Over 1200 posts, started a thread about a bike he expressed excitement for, purchased and influenced others to buy, was to have been delivered well over a month and a half ago - but now nothing. Curious what might have gone awry.

Creating drama where there is none. I was in on hooking up 7 people with the BH bikes and accepted and assembled 5. Although there were a few hiccups all is good and owners are extremely happy. Basically they got BroseS motor, 720wh 21700 cell batteries with decent suspension and components at half price. All bike conform to US Class 1 regulations and top out @ 20mph. I do believe they are grey market bikes as had been suggested awhile ago.

All but one are the AtomPro frame which is different looking but rides well. Although there are some braze ons above the shock they are pretty worthless cause you'd never fit a bottle in there. Maybe a tool kit. One of the bikes is a more conventional frame but still has the 720wh battery, As far as they go basically equivalent to low end levo's, except the carbon ones.

Also got one of the 29" Xtep Shimano models, not shown as well as 2 like the second from left carbon fiber type that went direct to AZ, with an E7000 and 720wh battery and XT in a beautiful blue color that ended up almost matching the owners car.....

BH Lineup.jpg

Nice, not "creating drama" that's a strange take and I really wasn't asking about you. Just that pxpaulx posted that he was going to post pictures then in an Aug 1 post that bike to arrive the "next day" "super excited", then nothing. Things don't always turn out as planned with online/remote sales and 8 weeks gone by without an update. Of course he was under no obligation but as I noted only "curious". Glad that things worked out for the bikes you were involved with though.

Because you are encouraging people to buy bikes from a manufacturer that has pulled out of the N. American market, and which will provide no parts or replacement batteries directly to the consumer, and whose list of "retailers we still work with", has proven to be a dead end.

So happens I'm going to Spain today, as a matter of fact, and hopefully I can find a Spanish retailer that can procure and ship a replacement battery for me. Otherwise, I have $3,200 worth of nuffin. Wish me luck!

Creating drama where there is none. I was in on hooking up 7 people with the BH bikes and accepted and assembled 5. Although there were a few hiccups all is good and owners are extremely happy. Basically they got BroseS motor, 720wh 21700 cell batteries with decent suspension and components at half price. All bike conform to US Class 1 regulations and top out @ 20mph. I do believe they are grey market bikes as had been suggested awhile ago.

All but one are the AtomPro frame which is different looking but rides well. Although there are some braze ons above the shock they are pretty worthless cause you'd never fit a bottle in there. Maybe a tool kit. One of the bikes is a more conventional frame but still has the 720wh battery, As far as they go basically equivalent to low end levo's, except the carbon ones.

Also got one of the 29" Xtep Shimano models, not shown as well as 2 like the second from left carbon fiber type that went direct to AZ, with an E7000 and 720wh battery and XT in a beautiful blue color that ended up almost matching the owners car.....

View attachment 136226

I bought the Atom Lynx 5.5 Pro in large that you have on the end. It is similar component wise minus the Atomx Lynx 5.5 Pro dropper post. I see in your picture that you have both. How does the brose motor compares to the bh motor?

I also bought the Atom 29 and Atomx 29 which is coming today. The BH Atom bikes must be mid year models because they are different spec wise than the ones in the 2020 BH Ebike Catalog.

We talked with a Romanian guy at a big ebike shop in Bilbao. He called BH and they said I was to contact one of the (now only) 4 bike shops that BH says it deals with. The closest one is in California. The battery costs €400/450 in Germany, then BH has its mark-up, so the price is $950, plus shipping, which is expensive, plus then we have to get the battery up to Seattle. Plus, what if we are wrong and in fact it is the motor? I highly doubt it, but you never know, I've been wrong before.

The Romanian said that in his opinion, Brose motors were trouble. All of a sudden they just stop. And they don't get good service from the company. He pointed to a Reise & Müller and said that was a reliable ebike. I said, "And an expensive one!"

He said that the Bosch performance line was the best and that the service from the company was excellent.

When we were in France we rented a ciuple of ebikes, Hai bikes I think, with Yamaha motors. As with the Giant Quick-e I have borrowed in the US, it runs fine and eats hills quite well. Only thing I don't like about Yamaha motors is that they sound like sewing machines, otherwise they are very zippy.

So the question is, do I spend the money, if the ebike dealer in California is willing to receive the battery, then go down to CA to get it, or do I part out my ebike and find another ebike?

At this point, I'm ready to throw in the towel.

I bought the Atom Lynx 5.5 Pro in large that you have on the end. It is similar component wise minus the Atomx Lynx 5.5 Pro dropper post. I see in your picture that you have both. How does the brose motor compares to the bh motor?

I also bought the Atom 29 and Atomx 29 which is coming today. The BH Atom bikes must be mid year models because they are different spec wise than the ones in the 2020 BH Ebike Catalog.

All those bikes have the Brose S motor. I saw tht BH is making a smaller mid motor though recently that looks interesting.

We talked with a Romanian guy at a big ebike shop in Bilbao. He called BH and they said I was to contact one of the (now only) 4 bike shops that BH says it deals with. The closest one is in California. The battery costs €400/450 in Germany, then BH has its mark-up, so the price is $950, plus shipping, which is expensive, plus then we have to get the battery up to Seattle. Plus, what if we are wrong and in fact it is the motor? I highly doubt it, but you never know, I've been wrong before.

The Romanian said that in his opinion, Brose motors were trouble. All of a sudden they just stop. And they don't get good service from the company. He pointed to a Reise & Müller and said that was a reliable ebike. I said, "And an expensive one!"

He said that the Bosch performance line was the best and that the service from the company was excellent.

When we were in France we rented a ciuple of ebikes, Hai bikes I think, with Yamaha motors. As with the Giant Quick-e I have borrowed in the US, it runs fine and eats hills quite well. Only thing I don't like about Yamaha motors is that they sound like sewing machines, otherwise they are very zippy.

So the question is, do I spend the money, if the ebike dealer in California is willing to receive the battery, then go down to CA to get it, or do I part out my ebike and find another ebike?

At this point, I'm ready to throw in the towel.
Tough call. There might not be much value in parting out your bike without knowing if the battery problem originated in the battery itself or if a problem with the motor/controller bricked the battery. If the problem is in the controller/motor/wiring (like a short?) you might risk bricking any new battery that you buy. It isn't clear to me why a bike shop that services Brose won't diagnose your motor and battery. Aren't they Brose products made for BH, not specific to BH (other than maybe the battery form/shape)?
FWIW regarding Yamaha motor noise, I notice the higher noise when pedaling at high cadence in lower gears up hills. It is pretty quiet when pedaling at lower cadence, even up hills. My Tongsheng torque sensing mid drive aftermarket motors are similar (but higher pitched than the Yamaha in that scenario).

If possible maybe try contacting Brose or a Brose US representative (if one exists) directly for guidance.

Last edited:
Back