Best way lock a bike with nothing around?

Criminal mind or simply a healthy imagination Tars? Sean, it's good to see you've given some thought to the many suggestions. And thanks to the rest of you for reinforcing the need for (proper), security. I'll be using a U lock, cable lock and chain lock along with the very best lock.. being in view whenever the need arrises to park it! Much luck to us all!

Bottom line, if they want it, it's gone. Do what you can to reduce the risk and to deter crimes of opportunity.
Experienced, professional, thieves, have the knowledge and the tools to defeat most anything we can do.

I was thinking either a cordless impact wrench for the 8 bolts; maybe 20 seconds, or just a rope or a chain around the top of the rack attached to my bumper hitch and pull forward a foot or two. Again, 20 seconds, more or less. Then throw everything in the back of the van and deal with locks and chains at my leisure in my fortress of solitude. Good thing I don't have a criminal mind. 😉

TT
It is worth noting that there are usually cars parked all around my spot. When I took the picture there happened to be some open spots, but at night, almost never. Glad you are not a criminal 😀

Installed in my Condo psrking spot. I am in Toronto area. U Lock, Chain Lock, Cable Lock. FoldyLock is in the mail (delayed Covid deliveries). I will add them but really purchased for use when out and about
And all held to a rail that has 4 nuts on the bottom to unscrew or beat off with hammer and chisel or a battery operated grinder . These could be stolen in five minutes with change .

And all held to a rail that has 4 nuts on the bottom to unscrew or beat off with hammer and chisel or a battery operated grinder . These could be stolen in five minutes with change .
And then lifted off the ground - 110 lbs worth of bikes + 40 lbs worth of rack and a few lbs worth of chains and locks all in a tangly mess.
Sure it can be done, anything can be done, but not that easy with cars all around with only enough space for a person or so between cars.
I always saw it as a significant deterrent, not a certainty. Heck, I might not even wake up tomorrow morning !

And then lifted off the ground - 110 lbs worth of bikes + 40 lbs worth of rack and a few lbs worth of chains and locks all in a tangly mess.
Sure it can be done, anything can be done, snip
Don't forget the alarm blaring and security cameras. I would add an ugly bike cover with a 'right to bear arms' sticker too , and probably sleep well. Good luck.

Don't forget the alarm blaring and security cameras. I would add an ugly bike cover with a 'right to bear arms' sticker too , and probably sleep well. Good luck.
Since the NRA is going bankrupt, perhaps they could get some cash flow by selling Bike decals "Protected by NRA". ;)

So as to not get this thread into another political mess and the eventual "locked" - THAT"S A JOKE PEOPLE!

Back