Best Rock Ever? Nominations, No Air Supply!

Who was/is a better female popular/rock lyricist, composer, Carole King or Carley Simon?

He walked into the party
Like you were walking on to a yacht
Your hat strategically dipped below one eye
Your scarf, it was apricot
You had one eye in the mirror
As you watched yourself Gavotte
And all the girls dreamed that they'd be your partner
They'd be your partner, and..

I feel the Earth move under my feet
I feel the sky tumbling down
I feel my heart start to trembling
Whenever you're around..
I love them both, but have to say King, just because she wrote for so many other musicians. I can't think of many songs Carly wrote that were recorded by anyone but her ...

For the voice, absolutely Carly Simon! This coming from someone who thinks John Prine's voice is great 🤣!

Who was/is a better female popular/rock lyricist, composer, Carole King or Carley Simon?

He walked into the party

Whenever you're around..
Who cares...
The real question is which ones singing makes you want to take her temperature?

Last edited:

He walked into the party

Whenever you're around..
CK

He walked into the party

Whenever you're around..
They are both pretty awesome. Carole probably has the larger body of work. If you get a chance, watch her musical "Beautiful"-it's very good and gives you a good chronology of how prolific she is. Fun fact, Carly Simon grew up knowing Jackie Robinson and his family. They were neighbors I believe...

They both sang with James Taylor. In You're So Vain, Mick Jagger adds harmony toward the end. I suspect it is about him. I set the time at his vocal.

They both sang with James Taylor. In You're So Vain, Mick Jagger adds harmony toward the end. I suspect it is about him. I set the time at his vocal.
"You're So Vain" was about Cat Stevens, if I remember correctly...

I thought it was Warren Beatty, lol!
Firefox confirms, via several sources, that the second verse is about Warren Beatty, but the other verses are about other men. Mick Jagger suspected in verse 1...

Some articles claim it's the biggest mystery in rock music, but I think that title would go to whatever was being thrown off the Tallahatchie bridge 😁.

Firefox confirms, via several sources, that the second verse is about Warren Beatty, but the other verses are about other men. Mick Jagger suspected in verse 1...

Some articles claim it's the biggest mystery in rock music, but I think that title would go to whatever was being thrown off the Tallahatchie bridge 😁.
I read the song may have been about more than 1 former lover. Apparently she auctioned off the names of the others to a wealthy Hollywood type with the agreement that he would never discloses the names. In the big scheme of things, who gives a rats ***!!

What guy could carry off an apricot scarf, a tipped hat, and own a leer jet, hang out with spies, have a stilted yet dancing gate in his walk, and with all the girls going wild over him?
Jagger has that strut like no one else.

Back