Best option right now? [Haibike FullFatSix]

I see absolutely no point in either an oval ring or a 2x setup on an electric bike. Rear range is already too large for an ebike as-is, both 11-46 and 11-42 with a front 38 chainring offer a lot more range than you'd reasonably need, like, ever. If you are actually using 38-46 you are probably going at walking speed or digging yourself into sand or snow.

I actually like 2x setups more. They are cheaper while giving a very wide range of gears , instead of 1x11 one can go 2x9 while having having a wider range it also let's one use 9 speed chains which are cheaper and more durable than their 10-11-12 speed counterparts. The chain stays straight compared to 1x setups which increases chain life.

I actually like 2x setups more. They are cheaper while giving a very wide range of gears , instead of 1x11 one can go 2x9 while having having a wider range it also let's one use 9 speed chains which are cheaper and more durable than their 10-11-12 speed counterparts. The chain stays straight compared to 1x setups which increases chain life.
100% agree.

I would use it for monoplate and climbing with or without battery available

Keep in mind there are also ebike-dedicated 1×9 setups available, such as Box One, for example.
Sadly, Box no longer sell their push-push shifter (due to some copyright issue), so their shifter is no different to others, though perhaps a bit more user-serviceable.
That said, the derailleur is Shimano-compatible, so you can use an XT shifter if you want.

Kinda depends what you want it for. If you just want a fun n+1 bike for occasional use then a £1k would be more than enough to spend on one. If you want to use it as your main bike I’d spend more, personally I’d look at something like the Canyon Dude – surprised me how light they are when I lifted one up the other day.

Kinda depends what you want it for. If you just want a fun n+1 bike for occasional use then a £1k would be more than enough to spend on one. If you want to use it as your main bike I’d spend more, personally I’d look at something like the Canyon Dude – surprised me how light they are when I lifted one up the other day.

Are you referring to the "Dude CF 9.0 Unlimited"? Nice bike and branding, however, I do not believe they make this bike in an E-bike version like the Spectral:ON or Neuron, do they? I have reached out to Canyon in the recent past, and they keep pushing back the availability of their E-bikes release into the US. Hope to see that in the coming months.

Ooh and now I have some bad news, I'm afraid. My motor started developing clicks, and now the motor pawls are slipping periodically, resulting in pedal freespin. Not good! And this is after only a year of relatively light use. This sure is different to my first Bosch, which survived 2 years before the main drive bearing got noisy.

So is it safe to assume that you no longer love Yamaha motors more than Bosch? Obviously you liked the way the Yamaha operated better. However, now that its durability is in question, the equation has changed, no?

I am quite eager to try a new Bosch motor with more torque, full size chain ring and not drag when not in use. If it is as durable as the prior generations of Bosch motors and fixes some of their shortcomings....yahoo!!!

No, I still prefer Yamaha to Bosch, simply because it handles more naturally. But this isn't a nice development, obviously, and it's made more complicated by the fact that Haibike wants (at least, they said so) the entire bike in order to fix the motor. I told them I can just remove the motor but they say it will void warranty. So we're still in negotiation with them, but the outlook isn't great.

As far as the new Bosch, yeah, I'd love to try it out but tbh I already have too many bikes so I'm now focusing on other things — building a house and a big garage where all of them can be stored. And while the new Bosch is appealing, fighting against derestriction by bricking the motor is, in my opinion, completely unacceptable. I know I can buy the HS variant, but the HS variant is identical to the CX, just priced €500 higher for no particular reason. Which is also insulting.

So I don't know, I still have to have my first Bosch (2nd Gen) to fix now that I finally managed to remove it from the bike.

No, I still prefer Yamaha to Bosch, simply because it handles more naturally. But this isn't a nice development, obviously, and it's made more complicated by the fact that Haibike wants (at least, they said so) the entire bike in order to fix the motor. I told them I can just remove the motor but they say it will void warranty. So we're still in negotiation with them, but the outlook isn't great.

As far as the new Bosch, yeah, I'd love to try it out but tbh I already have too many bikes so I'm now focusing on other things — building a house and a big garage where all of them can be stored. And while the new Bosch is appealing, fighting against derestriction by bricking the motor is, in my opinion, completely unacceptable. I know I can buy the HS variant, but the HS variant is identical to the CX, just priced €500 higher for no particular reason. Which is also insulting.

So I don't know, I still have to have my first Bosch (2nd Gen) to fix now that I finally managed to remove it from the bike.
Thanks for sharing and good luck. Shimano and Brose have too many issues for me to trust them.

I have heard the rumor about Bosch motors being bricked if derestriction is detected. Are you absolutely certain that this is the case? Is it confined to this newly released generation of Bosch motors and does not apply to pre 2020 motors?

Ooh and now I have some bad news, I'm afraid. My motor started developing clicks, and now the motor pawls are slipping periodically, resulting in pedal freespin. Not good! And this is after only a year of relatively light use. This sure is different to my first Bosch, which survived 2 years before the main drive bearing got noisy.
Hope you get your issue resolved. I am assuming your motor tops out at 15mph due to your location over the pond. Does not sound like you have put too much undo stress on the motor nor have you abused it in any way. I am sure many of us Haibike/ Yamaha owners would be curious to see what the outcome is and what the root cause was with your motor issue. Please keep us all posted for sure. Good luck with the resolution.

I have heard the rumor about Bosch motors being bricked if derestriction is detected. Are you absolutely certain that this is the case? Is it confined to this newly released generation of Bosch motors and does not apply to pre 2020 motors?
It is officially the case. Bosch is on the warpath, obviously trying to get people to either give up or move to the HS motors for extra cost.

It is officially the case. Bosch is on the warpath, obviously trying to get people to either give up or move to the HS motors for extra cost.
I kind of think it is better for companies to auto regulate. If many break the laws we might simply get banned.
Imagine a few headlines like second accident this week with high speed Ebike.
Include 1-2 pedestrian, an old person. Anyways faster = less range or more battery = heavier.
A bike is not a motorcycle and buyers should choose one or the other, well this is my opinion.

My understanding is that Bosch and the other ebike motor/system manufacturers have been mandated eight by the EU or individual countries. These mandates require them to incorporate software the will recognize if their product has been hacked to provide assistance to higher speeds than the product was sold and limited to. In European countries where class 3 (assisted to 28mph/no throttle) are allowed, most are required to be licensed, insured and have specified lighting. Turning a class one into a class three with a dongle is a work around legal requirements in those locations. Thus their interest in seeing such a modification exposed.

My questions still is does the software simply notify the shop or Bosch upon detection, voiding the warrantee or does it also brick the motor, rendering it inert? My confidence in Bosch motors is such that I can accept loss of warranty but having a perfectly good motor bricked is another matter.

Yes good question. My bet is that it only shows a "tamper" alert when plugged into the computer. I would be interested in a bike with the new motors but not until I know I can delimit it.

It just make sense. Here in Quebec on a bike i think under 14 or 16 YO a helmet is mandatory. I do not have to wear a helmet but on an Ebike i must wear one. Different classes, different rules and permit needed, insurance, etc. Also access to cycling path differs so i am lucky generaly in Canada our limit is 32km/h(20mp/h). Just like to drive a bus or an airplane i need the proper permit, a simple car permit is not enough.

My understanding is that Bosch and the other ebike motor/system manufacturers have been mandated eight by the EU or individual countries. These mandates require them to incorporate software the will recognize if their product has been hacked to provide assistance to higher speeds than the product was sold and limited to. In European countries where class 3 (assisted to 28mph/no throttle) are allowed, most are required to be licensed, insured and have specified lighting. Turning a class one into a class three with a dongle is a work around legal requirements in those locations. Thus their interest in seeing such a modification exposed.

My questions still is does the software simply notify the shop or Bosch upon detection, voiding the warrantee or does it also brick the motor, rendering it inert? My confidence in Bosch motors is such that I can accept loss of warranty but having a perfectly good motor bricked is another matter.
-"bricked motor is another matter"-This has been my concern and argument about Bosch motors for sometime. There are many posts on Reddit regarding this issue as well. I totally get the void warranty issue, however, rendering the motor unusable seems a bit extreme IMO.

Back