Best mid-drive mtn bike under $2500?

Kurt in CT

Hi folks, need your opinion please. I’ve been researching for several months and plan to pull the trigger the spring on my first E bike. I’m an older guy, and buying a bike for fun, recreation, trails, roads etc. Basically, trying to get some fun back in my life. So, I want a mountain bike. Not looking to build one from scratch, so looking to either buy online or from a retailer. Below are the criteria I’m looking for:

- Under $2500
- Mid Drive: it appears this is best for hills. I could be talked out of it though.
- Existence of a Throttle: I want this just for the fun of it
- Up to 50 mile range
- Stealth: I do not want to see the battery (much). I don’t know where this eBike thing is going, and I don’t want the authorities, other bikers, or anybody else to know what I’m riding
- Gears: at least 10, preferably 20: I plan to pedal a lot, so the gears matter
- Good instruments
- Reliability
- Serviceability: When it breaks, an easy way to fix it

So far the following two bikes I’m looking at are:

FLX - trail: looks decent, but, it’s online so serviceability could be an issue.

Magnum Navigator: a new bike for them, has all of above, great stealth, supposedly will be ready this spring.

Any others jump out at you? Anything I’m missing?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Hi folks, need your opinion please. I’ve been researching for several months and plan to pull the trigger the spring on my first E bike. I’m an older guy, and buying a bike for fun, recreation, trails, roads etc. Basically, trying to get some fun back in my life. So, I want a mountain bike. Not looking to build one from scratch, so looking to either buy online or from a retailer. Below are the criteria I’m looking for:

- Under $2500
- Mid Drive: it appears this is best for hills. I could be talked out of it though.
- Up to 50 mile range
- Stealth: I do not want to see the battery (much). I don’t know where this eBike thing is going, and I don’t want the authorities, other bikers, or anybody else to know what I’m riding
- Good instruments
- Reliability

FLX - trail: looks decent, but, it’s online so serviceability could be an issue.

Magnum Navigator: a new bike for them, has all of above, great stealth, supposedly will be ready this spring.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone

Hello Kurt in CT, ( And others )

If the 'CT' in your name is for Connecticut and you live in central CT, as I do, I strongly suggest you visit Bicycles East
located in Glastonbury.... https://bicycleseast.com/

I've purchased two e-bikes from Bicycles East, a Trek XM 700+ Commuter and a Powerfly 7 MTB and I absolutely
love both.

I realize the Trek Powerfly 7 is above $2,500 but they have others.
They carry Giant and Specialized e-Bikes as well. The folks at Bicycles East will not try to sell you, but rather offer info
and guide you through the process....Good folks and fantastic service and support which I have used.

Good luck,
John from CT

You definitely don't need 20 speeds with an Ebike. 11 on a mountain bike is nice and mine will climb just about everything, 10 is plenty for a road bike. I can't help you find one with a throttle, my Haibikes are only pedal assist. You can get under $2500 for a 2017 model year on clearance right now. I'm a real fan of the Bosch system.

I agree with Rich c.....20 speed is not necessary with an Ebike. My Trek road bike has 10 and the MTB has 11, there's nothing I can't climb.
The Bosch system is silky smooth...and powerful. Have it both on bikes with the Bosch Intuvia controller. It's great .

John from CT

Here's my take. I have an Haibike XDuro Bosch urban model and a SDuro Yamaha full suspension model. The Bosch is certainly a better drive system for sustained speeds above 15mph (why I went with that motor on the urban commute bike) but I consider the Yamaha (even the earlier PX motor as I have) a better climbing drive system (it has 90nM peak torque and on the larger chain rings that is even amplified a bit to the rear wheel). If you spend most of trail time riding below 15mph I believe the Yamaha is the better mid drive system but it's not like they are not both nice drive systems (albeit I think everyone in the US wants more power but a mid drive like the Bafang ultra really isn't necessary for most trail riders but for high speeds it may make sense). Unless you are a very serious mountain biker the Haibike Sduro models are excellent values when you buy them at discounts when not the current year model.

While I like hard tails, I think the general comfort of a full suspension is now always worth the extra expense (they have become very reliable so no reason to not go full suspension unless you are looking for hard tail ride traits for some personal reason - I know some riders just love to slide the rear end of hardtails when they ride).

If you want a hidden battery you'll have to go with one of the newest mountain bike models.

Going to be hard pressed at that budget to find anything with a hidden battery. Luna has KHS fatbikes in that range that can be programmed off road. Very quick for the money. They aren't illegal- not sure why you're wanting to stealth.

I also don't understand the desire for "stealth" / hidden drive system eBikes - it's like some ebikers think someone is out to get them if they are riding an ebike. If you are riding RESPONSIBLY no one cares if you are riding an eBike even if you are going over 28mph which any conventional bike can do going downhill.

There was/is mainly two factors driving the legislation on eBikes: 1) DMV wants some fees & 2) Insurance companies want some fees as well. Neither of these groups has the common sense to realize that someone on a 50kg eBike is not really impacting / damaging infrastructure or significantly increasing anyone's risk but their own (riding a bike is mainly risky for the rider). This country is in dire need of both the energy savings and health benefits eBikes can provide vs driving a 50-100X higher energy consuming vehicle. While the legislators insurance companies don't seem to be thinking when adopting eBike regulations/policies (as if they ever do), most people, even the police, know the benefits of eBikes and are not out to just go after you if you are riding an eBike responsibly. Don't take me wrong as I fully understand and respect the need for laws and regulations, but they need to be thought out and not driven by people/companies just trying to line their pockets.

If the 'CT' in your name is for Connecticut and you live in central CT, as I do, I strongly suggest you visit Bicycles East

I've purchased two e-bikes from Bicycles East, a Trek XM 700+ Commuter and a Powerfly 7 MTB and I absolutely
love both.

They carry Giant and Specialized e-Bikes as well. The folks at Bicycles East will not try to sell you, but rather offer info
and guide you through the process....Good folks and fantastic service and support which I have used.

Good luck,
John from CT

love both.

Good luck,
John from CT

John, yes, I'm in Connecticut. Appreciate your response ( and everyones! Great not to be alone in my search). I'm on the other side of the state over by Newtown, but will see if I can get to Glastonbury.

....- it's like some ebikers think someone is out to get them if they are riding an ebike... no one cares if you are riding an eBike....

Rage against eBikes is out there. Car drivers dislike them and some hardcore bicyclists truly hate them. Even when riding MUPs slowly and politely, you can hear disparaging comments from pedestrians. It's a rare week when I don't get some negative vibes.

I also don't understand the desire for "stealth" / hidden drive system eBikes - it's like some ebikers think someone is out to get them if they are riding an ebike. If you are riding RESPONSIBLY no one cares if you are riding an eBike even if you are going over 28mph which any conventional bike can do going downhill.

There was/is mainly two factors driving the legislation on eBikes: 1) DMV wants some fees & 2) Insurance companies want some fees as well. Neither of these groups has the common sense to realize that someone on a 50kg eBike is not really impacting / damaging infrastructure or significantly increasing anyone's risk but their own (riding a bike is mainly risky for the rider). This country is in dire need of both the energy savings and health benefits eBikes can provide vs driving a 50-100X higher energy consuming vehicle. While the legislators insurance companies don't seem to be thinking when adopting eBike regulations/policies (as if they ever do), most people, even the police, know the benefits of eBikes and are not out to just go after you if you are riding an eBike responsibly. Don't take me wrong as I fully understand and respect the need for laws and regulations, but they need to be thought out and not driven by people/companies just trying to line their pockets.

Ken M,
You wrote " I also don't understand the desire for "stealth" / hidden drive system eBikes" regarding Kurt from CTs preference for
a stealth battery on his future ebike.

It's Kurt from CT's choice as to how his bike will have the battery mounted.... Done deal.

Thanks,
John from CT

- Under $2500
- Up to 50 mile range
- Good instruments
- Reliability

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone
Kurt-The Magnum Navigator on your list looks like a candidate and a good pick. At Interbike was listed at $2500.00 price point with a 500Watt mid-drive Dapu with a throttle. Sweet!

There can be good reason to want a stealthy ebike, especially when using it for commuting. A stealthy bike will draw less attention from everyone, including thieves. Even if one is allowed to take the bike inside the workplace, a commuter will inevitably do errands along the way, where the bike will be left locked and unattended. I personally like the bicycle look, especially a MTB. Rarely do the uninitiated see I'm on an ebike. I didn't buy the bike because of that, but I don't mind at all that I don't draw attention.

For reference my current ride:

Screenshot_20180213-154018.jpg

Recently I looked at the 2018 Trek Powerfly 5. Bosch CX mid drive.

Screenshot_20180213-154112.jpg

Trek also offers the Powerfly with full suspension. I personally like a hardtail 29er.

The extra large down-tube on my BH and the Trek isn't that much bigger than a carbon fiber frame down-tube on a non powered bike. I was able to compare them side by side and the Trek is very well done. Unfortunately the Trek is significantly more than 2500. I think the quality is worth it and would be worth seeing and test riding at your local Trek dealer.

There can be good reason to want a stealthy ebike, especially when using it for commuting. A stealthy bike will draw less attention from everyone, including thieves. Even if one is allowed to take the bike inside the workplace, a commuter will inevitably do errands along the way, where the bike will be left locked and unattended. I personally like the bicycle look, especially a MTB. Rarely do the uninitiated see I'm on an ebike. I didn't buy the bike because of that, but I don't mind at all that I don't draw attention.

For reference my current ride:

View attachment 19986

Recently I looked at the 2018 Trek Powerfly 5. Bosch CX mid drive.

View attachment 19987

Trek also offers the Powerfly with full suspension. I personally like a hardtail 29er.

The extra large down-tube on my BH and the Trek isn't that much bigger than a carbon fiber frame down-tube on a non powered bike. I was able to compare them side by side and the Trek is very well done. Unfortunately the Trek is significantly more than 2500. I think the quality is worth it and would be worth seeing and test riding at your local Trek dealer.

Just an FYI, According to the Trek online Store they have one marked down 2017 Powerfly 7 left...

https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.com/product/trek-powerfly-7-276369-1.htm

John from CT

Ken M,
You wrote " I also don't understand the desire for "stealth" / hidden drive system eBikes" regarding Kurt from CTs preference for
a stealth battery on his future ebike.

It's Kurt from CT's choice as to how his bike will have the battery mounted.... Done deal.

Thanks,
John from CT
John,

All I said was that I don't understand the desire to hide that you're riding an eBike. I didn't imply someone should not have that choice so lighten up a bit. I don't care how he wants his battery mounted....I just don't see merit in hiding it thinking it makes the eBike stealthy.

Anyone that knows anything about ebikes can ID even the most hidden of ebikes so it's mainly about trying to look traditional which is what I don't understand.

I ride an eBike about 100 miles a week and there are pedestrians that do seem to have an attitude about bikes on sidewalks or shared paths but it's mainly because they are not paying attention to anything and get startled when someone rides by them. They don't pay attention because there are so very few people on bikes in my area this time of year (I live in Denver but try to ride year round ... in fact I tend to think the best riding is in the winter because you don't get that hot but rarely do you really get cold riding a bike).

Last edited by a moderator:
Kurt-The Magnum Navigator on your list looks like a candidate and a good pick. At Interbike was listed at $2500.00 price point with a 500Watt mid-drive Dapu with a throttle. Sweet!
Thanks Bob. My thought exactly. For my narrow criteria, it seems to be the perfect candidate. Unfortunately it's not here yet and therefore not real yet.

John,

All I said was that I don't understand the desire to hide that you're riding an eBike. I didn't imply someone should not have that choice so lighten up a bit. I don't care how he wants his battery mounted....I just don't see merit in hiding it thinking it makes the eBike stealthy.

Anyone that knows anything about ebikes can ID even the most hidden of ebikes so it's mainly about trying to look traditional which is what I don't understand.

I ride an eBike about 100 miles a week and there are pedestrians that do seem to have an attitude about bikes on sidewalks or shared paths but it's mainly because they are not paying attention to anything and get startled when someone rides by them. They don't pay attention because there are so very few people on bikes in my area this time of year (I live in Denver but try to ride year round ... in fact I tend to think the best riding is in the winter because you don't get that hot but rarely do you really get cold riding a bike).

Then use your bell for goodness sakes. Nobody likes to be caught unawares. I get totally pissed when I see other riders blast by me without any notice. That's squarely in "don't be a jerk" territory.

Back