Best method/kit to bleed shimano brakes

HugoFurst

Region
Australia
In the past I put a block in, open valve on calliper, pull lever, close valve, release lever top up repeat.
Is there a better way of bleeding shimano brakes, what kit do you use?
Whilst this method works there is still room for better results
Any alternatives to shimano fluid?

Never bothered with any other way with Shimano brakes. It just works.

However, if you manage to get a bubble & that won't come out with pumping and flicking the line, you can usually clear it by using a syringe to pump upstream.

I remember Seth Alva doing a video using baby oil for brake fluid. While it worked, it wasn't a long term test & may not be compatible with the inside parts. I certainly wouldn't mess around trying to save a few bucks when it comes to brakes. I bought the large bottle of Shimano stuff some time ago - should be enough for life as long as it doesn't go bad. I don't think it's hygroscopic like DOT fluid.

+1 on both responses, above. To add:

I went into bicycle bleeding thinking it was like automotive brake bleeding. It's only sort-of like it. I think the differences come down to the very narrow tubing to which air bubblies cling, and that the calipers and levers aren't designed to flush out all air bubbles, or at least not unless they're held a certain way. Given that the calipers, especially the rear, aren't oriented perfectly vertically makes getting the bubbles out challenging, and I think that's the same around the lever wells, too.

Hence, the syringe to push fluid (and air bubbles) up and into the cup.

I also thought that bleeding bike brakes would be similar to bleeding automotive brakes but, surprisingly for me, it was more of a PITA.
Years ago I was into taking my cars to the race tracks for track days and I got quite good at bleeding brakes. It's not that bleeding brakes on bikes is harder, it's just a lot more finicky.

it took some practice but once you get the hang of it its not a big deal. removing the back caliper can really help unless you can tilt the bike up a lot.

Bleeding Shimano brakes can be done effectively using the described method or alternative options. Shimano's own bleed kit ensures compatibility and better results. A bleed block aids in resetting brake pistons for improved fluid flow during bleeding. A bleed funnel offers controlled and efficient fluid propulsion, reducing the risk of air bubbles. While compatible mineral oil alternatives exist, caution must be exercised as they may void warranties and impact brake performance.
https://www.bikethesites.com/how-to-bleed-shimano-brakes/

Last edited:
After cleaning calipers push pistons out slightly and apply some fluid on cotton bud to lub pistons. Then remove excess with dry rag. Seen hack where bleed block is modified so one piston at a time can be pushed out. A bit of googling should find it on youtube.

Back