Best Foldable bike for Tall/Large man

CaboDave99

Hello Group,
I am looking for some advise on the best foldable bike for a 6'4" 275 pound man.
I haven't had the best luck with this search

Thank you in advance

Hello Group,
I am looking for some advise on the best foldable bike for a 6'4" 275 pound man.
I haven't had the best luck with this search

Thank you in advance

The Tern company claims to accommodate up to 6’ 5” on their Vektron model. Max weight is 230lb but that spec tends to be conservative/low. I own the original Vektron and unfortunately there isn’t enough clearance for wider tires to increase the max load. There are new models coming out for 2019 so I’d check the specs and tire clearances for those models. I’d bump up the width from 2” to 2.3”-2.4” depending on what’s available for the 20” tire and swap out the seat post for a thudbuster.

The bike is sturdy, and I’d recommend it overall. If you have an REI near you, they carry the line.

Pedego Latch? You can email Pedego and inquiry – they are also very helpful over the phone.

The Tern company claims to accommodate up to 6’ 5” on their Vektron model. Max weight is 230lb but that spec tends to be conservative/low. I own the original Vektron and unfortunately there isn’t enough clearance for wider tires to increase the max load. There are new models coming out for 2019 so I’d check the specs and tire clearances for those models. I’d bump up the width from 2” to 2.3”-2.4” depending on what’s available for the 20” tire and swap out the seat post for a thudbuster.

The bike is sturdy, and I’d recommend it overall. If you have an REI near you, they carry the line.

The RadMini will support 275 pounds max payload but the maximum height listed is 6' 2". I think you would have to ride one to see. Perhap you can put on a taller seat post?

The Sondors Fold X is rated for 300 pounds (from a forum post so check with Sondors) but I can't find a height range.

That seat post height depends on inseam. At 29", I constantly trip over my pants cuffs, but fit any bike.

I don't see much advantage of a 26" folder, but I thought the Montague was designed for soldiers on bikes, so it should be sturdy.

Downtube.com is offering a 24" folder. So it's 2" shorter when folded.

Found more info on the Latch, but it doesn't say anything about height except that it accommodates riders of "any shape and size". It's a belt-drive folding electric bike with an internal geared hub motor.

https://pedegoelectricbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/Latch-Fact-Sheets.pdf

I'm not connected with Pedego--I just happen to ride one of their bikes. (I have no inside knowledge of brands, even though I'm an admin here).
Thank you for the information. My only concern is the size of the motor.. was hoping for a 750 instead of 250.. THANK YOU!

My only concern is the size of the motor.. was hoping for a 750 instead of 250

A Montague Paratrooper can take a BBS02 or BBSHD mid-drive, you could mount a compact battery like a Luna Mini on the bottle cage bosses vertically above the motor or hang a larger battery in a frame bag under the top tube.

Last edited:
Montague aside, folding bikes aren't really suited for high power. Most of them, you can't ride them that fast because of gearing and small wheels, so they aren't really designed to fly over potholes at 20+ mph. They are designed, I hope, so the fold shouldn''t break, If you want 750W, it's going to be a conversion, or maybe the Radmini,

With a BBS02 on my 20" folders, I probably couldn't keep the front wheel on the ground.
It comes up on a 350W hub motor and 48V if starting on a hill, as all the weight sits over the rear wheel.

The Riese and Muller Tinker is a compact bike with a folding stem. It might get small enough to meet your needs. You are relatively close on their published weight limit for rider weight, close on gross weight, and under maximum rider weight + max rack load. The 20 inch wheels should be quite robust.

E-BIKE MODEL MAXIMUM GROSS WEIGHT: Tinker 135 kg, 297 lbs

WEIGHT OF E-BIKE: 21.9 – 23.8 kg, 48 – 52 lbs

MAX. WEIGHT OF RIDER: 110 kg, 242 lbs

MAX. LOAD ON REAR RACK: 20 kg, 44 lbs

Back