Best Electric Bike? I know it’s an opinion question, but I’m really new to electric bikes.

mlcinema

Region
USA
Hello All,

I’m new here and don’t have an electric bike yet, but hopefully soon. I will be doing a bit of trail riding along with on road. I’m looking into the Rad Power BIke’s Rad Rover, but wondering what you all think.

What is the best e-bike in your opinion?

Thank you.

Need more info to answer that question:

Where do you primarily ride: city streets, rural, or off road?

What will you use the ebike for: casual riding, commuting, work or utility?

How far in miles/KM is your average ride?

Do you have lots of steep hills or is it fairly level riding?

Do you like peddling with a little assist or do you want lots of assist like a scooter?

Do you have any physical limitations that would require a low step through design?

What country and class of ebike is legally allowed?

I always get a kick out of someone thats looking at one of the cheapest but wants the price on one of the best there are a lot but lets start here.

Need more info to answer that question:

Where do you primarily ride: city streets, rural, or off road?

What will you use the ebike for: casual riding, commuting, work or utility?

How far in miles/KM is your average ride?

Do you have lots of steep hills or is it fairly level riding?

Do you like peddling with a little assist or do you want lots of assist like a scooter?

Do you have any physical limitations that would require a low step through design?

What country and class of ebike is legally allowed?

Off Road - lite trails
Commuting and trails
level
Peddling
Nope
Don‘t know

I always get a kick out of someone thats looking at one of the cheapest but wants the price on one of the best there are a lot but lets start here.
Is $2,000 cheap? Are Rads cheap bikes?

Is $2,000 cheap? Are Rads cheap bikes?
Yes and yes, especially with current prices going through the roof lol. Rad is fine, cheap does not have to mean bad or junk and i think its a good idea not to break the bank on your first bike because you may end up paying for features that you don't need or don't like. Once you get some riding experience you will find out what you need/like or hate, who knows Rad could easily end up being perfect for you and if not you can always flip it and you will know what you need when you go for bike 2!

Off Road - lite trails
Commuting and trails
level
Peddling
Nope
Don‘t know
I would recommend a mountain ebike based on that and look for one with at least 48 volts and 14Ah or higher for that range.
Fat tire is better for off road and snow but will lose some range.

Need to know your country and ebike laws to make a specific recommendation as it varies a lot.

So it's like anything else you buy another words be real about it. You may not need or be able to the best of the best but don't buy cheap junk either unless that works for you. Take a look at some the "real bike manufacturers"

Yes and yes, especially with current prices going through the roof lol. Rad is fine, cheap does not have to mean bad or junk and i think its a good idea not to break the bank on your first bike because you may end up paying for features that you don't need or don't like. Once you get some riding experience you will find out what you need/like or hate, who knows Rad could easily end up being perfect for you and if not you can always flip it and you will know what you need when you go for bike 2!

Thank you.

For myself I now have a Juiced RC that has been a great machine. For me an important feature is a smooth natural feeling power delivery and that means a bike with a quality torque sensor. I can't enjoy a bike that has an on and off power delivery. Just moving the pedals causing the power to come on and off just isn't a natural feeling pleasant ride. This does not happen with most torque sensing motors. I am soon going to a step through as it is getting harder to get my leg over. Oh yes, a throttle is a nice feature too. The step through is a feature I should have started with. If I had I would keep the Bike I now have.
To get everything right on the first bike is a tough one.

Hello All,

I’m new here and don’t have an electric bike yet, but hopefully soon. I will be doing a bit of trail riding along with on road. I’m looking into the Rad Power BIke’s Rad Rover, but wondering what you all think.

Thank you.
For what it's worth I started out with a Rad Rover in Apr. 2019. It does everything I want it to do better than I imagined it would and over 3,000 trouble free miles later it still does.

For myself I now have a Juiced RC that has been a great machine. For me an important feature is a smooth natural feeling power delivery and that means a bike with a quality torque sensor. I can't enjoy a bike that has an on and off power delivery. Just moving the pedals causing the power to come on and off just isn't a natural feeling pleasant ride. This does not happen with most torque sensing motors. I am soon going to a step through as it is getting harder to get my leg over. Oh yes, a throttle is a nice feature too. The step through is a feature I should have started with. If I had I would keep the Bike I now have.
To get everything right on the first bike is a tough one.

I’m also looking at step through.

Wow! Thank you. Does it seem big?
It sort of did initially but it turned out to be a good fit for me. I'm 5'11" and 200 lbs. I should add I bought the step through model and am glad I did. This past summer I bought the Mini ST as it would fit in the back of my Kia Soul and would be easier to transport than the Rover. I like it too but it was a bit short for me. I solved that problem by buying a longer seat post. I still over all like the Rover better.

Not a fan of fat tires unless you need them. Do not buy them because they "look cool". I find them hard to justify unless you are riding in deep sugar sand or snow frequently.

I AM a fan of RAD, and for paved/hard surfaces, including some trail, I'd suggest the newest RAD City. Comes step through or step over.

A LOT of people struggle with the first e-bike purchase, out of concern that's it's not going to work out well for them and it's going to end up collecting dust in a dark corners somewhere. With a RAD bike, worst case is the bike won't work out for you and you'll have one of the most popular bike brands there is for sale. That sale will be for top dollar, and it will happen very easily. Same thing if it works out so well you want a nicer bike a couple years down the road. Rad has about the best resale of any bike available.

There is no one eBike fit for all styles of riding and non are the best. The ones that come the closest for me are Bosch mid drive powered. I want a bicycle, not a scooter. I want a torque sensor and not a throttle. I want a legal eBike and not a motorcycle. If you get 50 answers, you will get 60 opinions. The only way to fully understand the ride, is to ride. Asking opinions and reading internet sales propaganda will only confuse you. The world is gaga over fat tire folding 20" eBikes. I detest them. So go to an eBike shop and ride, even if it involves the entire weekend to get there and back. It's really the only good way to find out what is best for you

Hello All,

Thank you.
Having been in the same position and budget myself, and having bought a bike that has been great for me for 2 years, the only thing I'd pay more attention to now if I was living in a different location, would be the choice betweeen hub motor and mid-drive and the reason for that being important, is for hill climbing. I use my bike on the road and the hills are moderate at the most, so the hub motor has been fine. If the area was much more hilly, I'd for sure get a mid drive.
Maybe check out Rize Bikes. The price has gone up a bit.
If I were looking to ride on trails, I'd never choose the "city" type of bike. Just no good at all because of the tires, for one thing. Great tires for city roads, not good off the road.

Last edited:
Back