Best bike seat?

Tim Skafidas

What is the best seat for a blend of performance with some comfort? The one that came with my juggernaut is wide and bulky and hard to pedal fast. I’m thinking a narrower gel seat? Cloud 9 looks good with the sport model?

You will get a plethora of answers, because everyone is different. But generally speaking, comfort is all about shape, not padding. This is why traditional leather saddles, which have no padding, are widely lauded by users. The drawbacks are cost, weight, a break-in period, and care. For regular saddles, there is no way to know what will work for you. Some shops have test saddles that you can try; some have generous return policies.

My brother loves his cloud 9 but I don't. I much prefer a hornless seat but that is just my personal preference. As Nova Halibike says, you are sure to get many different opinions. If you're looking for comfort, unless your bike has rear suspension, you really need to look at a suspension seat post as well.

Another vote for Cloud9. Just be aware that not all Cloud9 seats are the same. There are several different models, some looking pretty similar.

I would think a person's weight and build might enter into this "best seat" concept. I ended up trying several, with my favorite being the least evil of several different seats I tried. I'm STILL all done for the day at 20 miles or so.....

I would think a person's weight and build might enter into this "best seat" concept. I ended up trying several, with my favorite being the least evil of several different seats I tried. I'm STILL all done for the day at 20 miles or so.....

Body position has a lot to do with it. The more upright you sit, the larger saddle tends to work better, and vice-versa. As for being done after 20 miles, it could be that you don't ride regularly enough; your backside does "toughen up" with more time in the saddle. Either that or the seat is in fact too soft. A cushy soft seat may feel great initially, but does not have the support for a longer ride.

Another vote for a Cloud 9 here. I have a roadie history and always thought I'd dislike riding on what is effectively a pillow. But on my full sus emtb, I love being able to bomb down trails sitting down much of the time - coupled with a dropper post, I can get the bulky seat out of my way when needed. When I take on longer paved rides, it makes for a softer ride. My backside wonders why my head was such an ass for so long.

Everyone's butt is different, so any recommendations on a specific saddle are unlikely to help you very much.

My best recommendation is to find a bike shop that will let you try out different saddles and has bike fitting services. Tiny adjustments in saddle position and angle and even stem height can have dramatic impacts on what saddles will work for you.

One of the huge unsung advantages of leather saddles is that they can breathe. A big padded gel or plastic (vinyl) saddle won't, and a sweaty butt is prone to discomfort, and sometimes agony.

If you want total comfort, you can get this recumbent seat. Easily the most comfortable seat I've ever sat in.

Attachments

• ptcfsnc.png
    ptcfsnc.png
    904.1 KB · Views: 423
I have tried a bunch, Selle Royale, Brooks, both leather and Cambium (the aged leather b17 came in second best) , Ergon, Selle Itlaliana and have settled on a Selle Anatomica H series as the most comfortable for me. It required no break in, which is unusual for a leather saddle. They sell a nice water proof, well fitted cover for winter riding. Also they are made in San Diego California. I can ride three hours with no lingering discomfort. I do have to briefly stand on the pedals every half hour or so just to shake it out but I have to change position on my office chair from time to time as well.

As others have stated, saddle choice is subjective. I also recommend finding a bike shop that will allow you to buy/return saddles until you find one that works for you. As a former racer, I can tell you my philosophy used to be "less is more". The less surface contacting your butt, the better. So I used to race with a saddle that looked like a toothpick.

But, I also believe there is a point where a larger surface area is ok, depending on how it's made. I have used a granny saddle that had a web of springs covered by a padded stretchy fabric. This is on my current hybrid/errand bike, and is by far the most comfy saddle I've ever used.

Back