Best Bike Inner Tubes

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
Much has been posted here on quality bike tires but little on inner tubes. This topic is sure to be as opinionated but all comments are welcome.

The popularity of tubeless tires continues to grow but the great majority of bicycle tires still use tubes. It stands to reason that a quality tire is only as good as the tube inside. In the past with my conventional bikes, I've used whatever tube was handy, repaired the occasional flat and didn't give it much thought. In my quest to reduce or eliminate flats on my e-bike, I began seeking out the best products. After much consideration and from reading comments here on the forum, I decided on Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Most of my riding is done on sometimes rough gravel trails so I chose the HS-468 MTB tread.

The question then became what tubes to use. There are many good quality inner tubes available from Kenda, Continental and Sunlite but several reviews I've read favor the Schwalbe MTB "Downhill" product. At nearly $15 each, they aren't cheap but I decided to try a pair. When I inspected them, my initial thought was they are actually thinner and lighter in weight than the Kenda medium quality tubes which came stock on the bike. I realize thickness inn't everything when it comes to overall quality. Much to my dismay, the first Schwalbe tube blew out during the initial inflation. It appeared to have a defective seam weld. I returned it for a refund. The second Schwalbe tube installed fine and I've ridden it a few miles so far with no issues.

Before I invest in tubes for my other two bikes, I'm curious what others here have experienced and what products they recommend.

Not a recommendation, but latex tubes have much less rolling resistance than butyl tubes. They are also a little lighter (compared to normal butyl tubes) and supposedly are more puncture resistant (not my experience). The downsides are cost and the need to inflate them before every ride. Personally, not worth it to me; I just use ordinary tubes.

I have had very good luck with these.
Sunlite Thorn Resistant Presta Valve Tubes

1546549219882.png
1546549219882.png

Yes, I use Slime in all my tubes. I also use tire talc when fitting a new tube.
You can also use stans in your tubes.

I initially went tubeless quite a few years ago, tubeless tech wasnt what it is now and I had problems like burping causing me a serious crash.

I went back to tubes with stans in the tube and havnt had a flat since doing this (around 10 years). Most of my flats are caused by goatheads and this riding is about 80% offroad.

Stans can/will dry out, so after around 6 months I add more and after a year, I put in new tubes.

I have been using mostly continentals because for awhile they were one of the few to have removable presta cores. These days there are much more available

Just recently (like in the last week) I started trying tubeless again, not sure what the end result will be

Back