Best bike for long distance touring?

If it's not an electric touring bike, then why does it appear to have a motor?

Not a motor, but a Pinion gearbox... a few details below. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Ah Brian Bassett (or Hectors Ghost), it seems like it's still your way or the highway! :)

You're wrong on all accounts as far as Gates Carbon Drive Belts go, you were referencing non Carbon Fibre re-enforced belts without Centre Track. And i can change my belt in about 10 seconds, i kid you not! My spare belt inside a snap lock bag (which it really doesn't need to be in) weighs 87 grams (including bag) is about 10x10x3cm and is only taken as an absolute emergency without ever expecting to use it.

I appreciate that you spent a lot of time and effort researching your approach to touring with your TT Panamericana & Bafang, and it seems like you're very proud of your achievements.
I believe you bought or at least test rode it whilst you were in Germany, you were also fortunate to get the Faiv Hoogar front rack installed onto it before shipping to the US, a great rack that is not sold outside the EU.

Your setup may be true to the title of this thread but i believe it's also about how somebody else can buy it or replicate it.

And on that note i ask again, this time with links/prices please:
Where exactly can one get a NEW Tout Terrain Panamaericana from?
Also should the rear shock fail badly, where can you get a new one from?

I appreciate that you spent a lot of time and effort researching your approach to touring with your TT Panamericana & Bafang, and it seems like you're very proud of your achievements.
I believe you bought or at least test rode it whilst you were in Germany, you were also fortunate to get the Faiv Hoogar front rack installed onto it before shipping to the US, a great rack that is not sold outside the EU.

Your setup may be true to the title of this thread but i believe it's also about how somebody else can buy it or replicate it.

And on that note i ask again, this time with links/prices please:
Where exactly can one get a NEW Tout Terrain Panamaericana from?
Also should the rear shock fail badly, where can you get a new one from?
Ahhhhh, whoever you are... Mr. Curl is it? Peyronie's disease? Pride in ebike riding seems a little silly to me, but whatever floats your boat. I ride because I enjoy it. Not sure why you think I rode one (Panamericana) or even knew about TT in Germany, I didn't. I was pretty much Saab 900T, Porshe 944, and Nissan Maxima back then. Also, I just had a backup Hoogar shipped from Germany, Google it... you can buy anything from anywhere nowadays if ya really want. Same goes with a Panamericana have Tout Terrain build one for you like I did. I'm sure PWC is still doing a half-assed job of selling them, and Cycle Monkey also sells them. I don't suggest anyone try and deal with TT unless they can walk into a store and do it face to face. I had both shocks, bike and trailer, rebuilt this year and replaced the fork. As a backup for shock failures I had two aluminum bars machined to replace either shock should it fail while riding, even if both shocks fail. If you want someone to spoon feed you links and prices and do your homework for you maybe you should ask a little nicer, lol apparently you forgot who your talking to since you seem to think you know me. I got mine... you get yours. As far as "somebody else being able to buy it or replicate it", I couldn't care less, well, hell... maybe I could, but I don't.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Smooth-rider.jpg

I am selling two of my Wattwagon pusher trailers.
Hooks easily to most bikes and the only electric wiring and attachment that stays on the bike is the throttle.
Powerful direct Drive hub motor.
This allows you to use a regular bike without having to deal with the expense and compromises of an e- bike set up for touring. $1000 firm. Source your own battery. You can get a 1000 watt hour battery for under $400.
San Diego county area. Prefer not to ship
3CCEBEF4-EFAB-4F83-9A36-A56A78F63C89.jpeg
893539F4-C960-44B0-8221-67CF287ADC93.jpeg

Text me at 760-765-1598 if interested.

Attachments

• BF2B05EA-6929-4051-B6CA-B1628B9CDA90.jpeg
    BF2B05EA-6929-4051-B6CA-B1628B9CDA90.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 369
I think someone makes a powered wheelbarrow if that’s what you are into
In a manner of speaking, I guess... but I wouldn't use any trailer that connected to the axle, turning radius is crap or anything with the rolling resistance of that thing. Funny though, the only reason I would ever use a hub motor for is it's regen capability and to save brakes. Good luck I think you're going to need it.

In a manner of speaking, I guess... but I wouldn't use any trailer that connected to the axle, turning radius is crap or anything with the rolling resistance of that thing. Funny though, the only reason I would ever use a hub motor for is it's regen capability and to save brakes. Good luck I think you're going to need it.
Heck, I saw the solar panel setup of yours on another thread, but didn´t see where i might get hold of one? I´m afraid my
rig is sort of a poor manś version of yours, ($69 trailer that needed mods to be remotely safe), but at least now I can go
with 55Ah in 4 batteries. single wheel which also converts to 2-wheel with lockable box. Jury-rigged a used rack to
cary a 2nd battery with a padded, waterproof sheath over the connector. the inframe was made from an airline garment
bag. that & the bar bags came from Goodwill, all $6 or less. With 2 batteries I´m good for 70 mi, which is further than
I care to ride in a day anyway

Attachments

• PICT0021.jpg
    PICT0021.jpg
    603.3 KB · Views: 408
  • PICT0025.jpg
    PICT0025.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 423
  • PICT0023.jpg
    PICT0023.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 408
  • PICT0028.jpg
    PICT0028.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
Heck, I saw the solar panel setup of yours on another thread, but didn´t see where i might get hold of one? I´m afraid my
rig is sort of a poor manś version of yours, ($69 trailer that needed mods to be remotely safe), but at least now I can go
with 55Ah in 4 batteries. single wheel which also converts to 2-wheel with lockable box. Jury-rigged a used rack to
cary a 2nd battery with a padded, waterproof sheath over the connector. the inframe was made from an airline garment
bag. that & the bar bags came from Goodwill, all $6 or less. With 2 batteries I´m good for 70 mi, which is further than
I care to ride in a day anyway
Looks good. Being able to go from single to dual wheels could come in handy at times. I agree that 70 miles is "adequate" especially if you are actually touring rather than riding out of a garage. I just did 55 miles, blue skies, 72 degs., it was great. The solar panel is a SunCapture 300 I got it from HPC on Black Friday for $1200.00 (https://www.upzy.com/products/hpc-suncapture-300-folding-solar-panel-and-charger) their expensive and heavy... but worth it.

Tha
Looks good. Being able to go from single to dual wheels could come in handy at times. I agree that 70 miles is "adequate" especially if you are actually touring rather than riding out of a garage. I just did 55 miles, blue skies, 72 degs., it was great. The solar panel is a SunCapture 300 I got it from HPC on Black Friday for $1200.00 (https://www.upzy.com/products/hpc-suncapture-300-folding-solar-panel-and-charger) their expensive and heavy... but worth it.
Sounded great... ´til I saw $1200. I think of my bike as an old ford pickup next to your shiny Audi. 4 batteries will get me someplace
to charge...provided the bike gets that far. 70 mi. is more than adequate if yur 71 & nigh as busted up as Knievel. I´ḿ comfortable
25 or 30, 50 tops...unless itś downhill. Itś hard to tell how you´ve got yur bars set up. I´ve kinda thinking about trekking bars.
I´ve got 9k on this type of ergo grip & my hands are asking for a change.

Last edited:
Tha

Sounded great... ´til I saw $1200. I think of my bike as an old ford pickup next to your shiny Audi. 4 batteries will get me someplace
to charge...provided the bike gets that far. 70 mi. is more than adequate if yur 71 & nigh as busted up as Knievel. I´ḿ comfortable
25 or 30, 50 tops...unless itś downhill.
I like Fords... and I'd take an Audi R8 if I didn't have to maintain or insure it. My bike is 4 yrs old and ridden more than a (insert inappropriate sexual comment). So not so shiny anymore but she still moves pretty good.

I like Fords... and I'd take an Audi R8 if I didn't have to maintain or insure it. My bike is 4 yrs old and ridden more than a (insert inappropriate sexual comment). So not so shiny anymore but she still moves pretty good.
Still would like to see yur handlebar setup. Mine´s playing hell with arthritic thumbs. One thing I like about my bike,
if I break this one too, I can still afford another.

Still would like to see yur handlebar setup. Mine´s playing hell with arthritic thumbs. One thing I like about my bike,
if I break this one too, I can still afford another.
Handlebar & bar-bag evolution: Double-ended bar-bag, 6 lbs., Handlebar bag, 13 lbs.

Finding the right throttle, control, kill button, all the standard bike parts, and then positioning them best for how I ride has taken some time. I installed the Large Green Button upsidedown and backward and depress it with my left forefinger. The throttle is designed for left or right placement

Last edited:
Like the mirrors, a mite pricey I suppose. I have the bars, what stem is that??? I don´t have a lot of electronics.
The dashboard is where I hang my tool bag. It all looks a bit more comfortable for a creaky old guy like me
than the same old same old. I suppose the only question is will my wire harness fit? I´m gonna check.

Like the mirrors, a mite pricey I suppose. I have the bars, what stem is that??? I don´t have a lot of electronics.
The dashboard is where I hang my tool bag. It all looks a bit more comfortable for a creaky old guy like me
than the same old same old. I suppose the only question is will my wire harness fit? I´m gonna check.
Search bike mirrors on Amazon... there are lots. I have been through a few sets now they seem to take the worst of it when I go down. These are working out really well. The adjustable stem was an option on the bike but I am sure you can find them or others that will work. Comfort starts to become more and more important the longer you sit on the saddle. The same goes for electronics, like GPS, cameras, lights, and on and on. The more I am "away" the more I need to take with me. Stay safe John.

Back