Best 1000 Watt Mid-drive

Sean C.

Currently have a Rize Rx Pro 1000 Watt mid-drive, I have had it approx 2 years (5,200km). Looking to upgrade to a better bike, any 1000 Watt mid-drive bikes with good range? I won't be purchasing another Rize don't recommend them.

Currently have a Rize Rx Pro 1000 Watt mid-drive, I have had it approx 2 years (5,200km). Looking to upgrade to a better bike, any 1000 Watt mid-drive bikes with good range? I won't be purchasing another Rize don't recommend them.
Can I ask why, in particular? They have a conventional tired twin to your bike (Rize RX) that shouldn't have any trouble making quite a bit more range than the fatty you have. Have you gone through this?

What does good range mean to you? Unlimited budget?
Budget $6,000 CAD, I started riding ebikes after my driver's license was taken away for medical reasons. Good range approx. 70km, my parents live approx 45km away. I would like to use my bike to visit when I have free time.

Can I ask why, in particular? They have a conventional tired twin to your bike (Rize RX) that shouldn't have any trouble making quite a bit more range than the fatty you have. Have you gone through this?

Great link you made.

If you want better range stick with the bike you have, put street tires on it (assuming you have knobby or fat tires), and upgrade the controller for $1K, or tune it properly to get better range. I wouldn't throw $6K at a new bike which sounds like it's going to pretty much be a street bike for transportation. Only bikes with 1000W mid motors are going to be Bafang Ultra or BBSHD based. Unless you tune the Ultra the range will suck. If you just use throttle range will suck regardless, even if you go with upgraded controller. BBSHD will be more efficient but for the most part you are going to retrofit a bike that isn't really going to be any more suitable than the one you have.

P.S. if you are not in hilly areas I'd think a rear hub may be better overall for you and probably more efficient.

If you want better range stick with the bike you have, put street tires on it (assuming you have knobby or fat tires), and upgrade the controller for $1K, or tune it properly to get better range. I wouldn't throw $6K at a new bike which sounds like it's going to pretty much be a street bike for transportation. Only bikes with 1000W mid motors are going to be Bafang Ultra or BBSHD based. Unless you tune the Ultra the range will suck. If you just use throttle range will suck regardless, even if you go with upgraded controller. BBSHD will be more efficient but for the most part you are going to retrofit a bike that isn't really going to be any more suitable than the one you have.

P.S. if you are not in hilly areas I'd think a rear hub may be better overall for you and probably more efficient.
Area I am in is a hilly area, looking for upgrade something better.

How hilly? Do you really need a mid drive? Even here in WA I see riders with hub drives zoom up hills at high speed. Pretty impressive actually. Toronto doesn't strike me as all that hilly. Maybe ask Ravi if the Shakti might work for you:

@Sean C., Remember high watts is like low fuel economy when selecting a car. It is not better. It is worse. Like a stinky old clunker. I normally ride 350 W motors with 85Nm. More than 100, I have found, leads to problems. Sometimes I will do 90Nm cargo motors at 750 W with larger batteries. You can do a second battery for the occasional long trip. How handy are you? Some of us make the bikes we want to ride because the standard offerings are not really that good.

Better quality bike, and a bike with better range. Got my first ebike 6 years ago, I like to upgrade every 2 years.

@Sean C., Remember high watts is like low fuel economy when selecting a car. It is not better. It is worse. Like a stinky old clunker. I normally ride 350 W motors with 85Nm. More than 100, I have found, leads to problems. Sometimes I will do 90Nm cargo motors at 750 W with larger batteries. You can do a second battery for the occasional long trip. How handy are you? Some of us make the bikes we want to ride because the standard offerings are not really that good.
I'm not handy, fix things with a hammer. I have previously owned 250W and 500W ebikes, and I really noticed a big difference. Hills I cycle are not steep but very long with traffic lights, allot stop-start on the hills.

Properly ridden (speeds under 14-15mph, PAS1, proper gear chosen, close monitoring of the display watt meter, avoiding use of the throttle best possible, etc), a1000w bike isn't going to use a lot more power than a 500w bike - all else being equal. The biggest difference will be that extra power is there if and when you need it - over and above the power available from a 500w has been all tapped out.

If you want a higher quality bike (hopefully with much smaller tires), go for it, but with the 19.5ah battery that your bike comes with, I doubt seriously you're going to get much further on a charge (assuming only you have those tires pumped up). That's mostly on you and your riding habits. Dual battery option likely a good plan as well....

I got an 800wh battery for my Giant Stance and it'll get the range you seek I'm sure. That and the right tires as mentioned. The motor has all I need to conquer any hill.

I have a Biktrix Monte Capro with 1000W Bafang m620 830wh battery. I have been using it as commuter on mostly dirt roads and getting 40-45 miles on eco mode I have a couple long hills , half mile long 10 % grade maybe. I have nearly 2500 miles on it and I have not open the motor. It's quieter now compare to when it was new, checked it with decibel meter. $6K US. Factory tuned canbus so I don't have to worry about programming for different types of riding conditions, and it's full suspension.
I have a Bulls Evo 45 AM for backup bike but it's currently in the shop with new Brose TF motor but since installation it has not corrected the problem of the display not showing speed. 350w 90 nm vs 160nm1000W, the difference is very noticeable.
Yeah check out Biktrix.
I was looking at the Juggernaut Ultra Beast, I like the two batteries which are hidden under the frame. The guys at Bixtrix were also telling me about the Juggernaut. $6,000 CAD my budget.

Back