Beowoof

Beowoof

Region
USA
Hello ebikers, I'm Andy and I just got an Aventon Aventure.

Rider
I'm a freshly minted 60 year old with a few health problems and doctor's orders to lose 30 pounds along with a prescription for a beta blocker medication to keep me out of hypertensive crisis. I'm married and have three (grown assed) daughters that all seem interested in me following the doctors plan of me making it to 70. My work is in information technology and keeps me chained to a desk in my home office about 50 hours a week. I got my motorcycle endorsement before my car license so I've been on 2 wheel motorized vehicles for over 40 years. I like reading, fly-fishing, off-roading, and shooting sports. My other bike is a Russian Ural motorcycle with a sidecar, and I have a Jeep Wrangler that spends all my money.

Order and Delivery
I ordered the Aventure on 12/12 and FedEx started delivering bits and peices over the next few days. The front basket arrived first and I was instantly impressed with Aventon's build quality. It's very lightweight and appears to be perfectly welded and cerimacoated tube aluminum. Weight limit details are printed in white on the leading edge. I usually prefer less clutter in the aesthetics department, but the stenciled font gives it a cool "milspec" look. I'd actually like to see more of this on the rest of the bike. The rear rack arrived next with the same details in the same font.

The light, bell, and cover arrived in one box the third day along with the pet box. FedEx was showing a delivery date for Monday 19th, for the ebike, but it arrived Friday 16th, and I just happened to be home to sign for it; FedEx gets a little erratic this time of year. Anyway, I assembled it stem to stern in about two hours. Everything needed for assembly was in the box, including some spare parts and a few extra-mile items like a spare derailleur hook. The ONLY thing I used was my torque wrench and sockets needed to get a set on the hub nuts. Pro tip: The torque specs are in the manual listed in Newton Meters (nm)

Friday, 12/19/2022 was the maiden voyage. By the time I was suited up and ready it was dark (of course) but between the standard headlamp and the V10-500, the path was well illuminated. I got my balance in PAS 0/Gear 2 before switching on the juice and running through the gears. The ride is great with PAS 5 giving a pretty snappy launch from the throttle button. I only rode about a half mile out and back because it was cold, dark, and fought with whitetail deer. The deer looked at me like I was a UFO and just froze until I was even with them, at which point they would try to run in several directions at once. One of them skittered around on the road and headed right at me which gave me a chance to experience the power of hydraulic disk-brakes on a light two wheeled vehicle with a lot of fat-tire rubber on the road; a well balanced quick stop with a deep skid point that let me get stopped in plenty of time to avoid contact. It also gave me a chance to pucker check the seat. :)

Aesthetics
The Aventure is a really beautiful machine, but the aesthetics are almost totally spoiled by the new mustard yellow and pale orange graphics. Ive ordered some flat black vinyl wrap material to cover it up. No, really.... I'm not that much of a design slave, but this is garishly ugly and must be dealt with. That said, it's the ONLY thing I don't like. The rest of the design scheme is elegant in the true sense of the word; form following function. The whole thing would be much improved if it were just the same barbecue grill flat-black as the fenders.

BUILD: Fire Black Aventure - Large
  • Front Rack
  • Rear Rack
  • Sunlite Heavy Duty Bike Cover
  • Mirrycle Brass Duet Incredibell - Black
  • Aventon Headlight V10-500
  • Aventon Battery - Aventure
  • Aventon Aventure Battery Cover Kit
  • Extended Protection Plan 109.
  • K&H Pet Bike Basket
Thanks for posting your experiences and introductions here, I've really learned a lot of crucial/general type info you couldn't really get anywhere else.

AJ
PS: Beowoof is the bikes name. My wife thinks anything with wheels has to has to be christened and given a name. She has been kidding me about not being able to pronounce 'wolf' for about 32 years now and I think it's cute how much she hated having to write about Beowulf for school.

Attachments

• AVENTUREBUILD.jpg
    AVENTUREBUILD.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:

Rider
I'm a freshly minted 60 year old with a few health problems and doctor's orders to lose 30 pounds along with a prescription for a beta blocker medication to keep me out of hypertensive crisis. I'm married and have three (grown assed) daughters that all seem interested in me following the doctors plan of me making it to 70. My work is in information technology and keeps me chained to a desk in my home office about 50 hours a week. I got my motorcycle endorsement before my car license so I've been on 2 wheel motorized vehicles for over 40 years. I like reading, fly-fishing, off-roading, and shooting sports. My other bike is a Russian Ural motorcycle with a sidecar, and I have a Jeep Wrangler that spends all my money.

Order and Delivery
I ordered the Aventure on 12/12 and FedEx started delivering bits and peices over the next few days. The front basket arrived first and I was instantly impressed with Aventon's build quality. It's very lightweight and appears to be perfectly welded and cerimacoated tube aluminum. Weight limit details are printed in white on the leading edge. I usually prefer less clutter in the aesthetics department, but the stenciled font gives it a cool "milspec" look. I'd actually like to see more of this on the rest of the bike. The rear rack arrived next with the same details in the same font.

The light, bell, and cover arrived in one box the third day along with the pet box. FedEx was showing a delivery date for Monday 19th, for the ebike, but it arrived Friday 16th, and I just happened to be home to sign for it; FedEx gets a little erratic this time of year. Anyway, I assembled it stem to stern in about two hours. Everything needed for assembly was in the box, including some spare parts and a few extra-mile items like a spare derailleur hook. The ONLY thing I used was my torque wrench and sockets needed to get a set on the hub nuts. Pro tip: The torque specs are in the manual listed in Newton Meters (nm)

Friday, 12/19/2022 was the maiden voyage. By the time I was suited up and ready it was dark (of course) but between the standard headlamp and the V10-500, the path was well illuminated. I got my balance in PAS 0/Gear 2 before switching on the juice and running through the gears. The ride is great with PAS 5 giving a pretty snappy launch from the throttle button. I only rode about a half mile out and back because it was cold, dark, and fought with whitetail deer. The deer looked at me like I was a UFO and just froze until I was even with them, at which point they would try to run in several directions at once. One of them skittered around on the road and headed right at me which gave me a chance to experience the power of hydraulic disk-brakes on a light two wheeled vehicle with a lot of fat-tire rubber on the road; a well balanced quick stop with a deep skid point that let me get stopped in plenty of time to avoid contact. It also gave me a chance to pucker check the seat. :)

Aesthetics
The Aventure is a really beautiful machine, but the aesthetics are almost totally spoiled by the new mustard yellow and pale orange graphics. Ive ordered some flat black vinyl wrap material to cover it up. No, really.... I'm not that much of a design slave, but this is garishly ugly and must be dealt with. That said, it's the ONLY thing I don't like. The rest of the design scheme is elegant in the true sense of the word; form following function. The whole thing would be much improved if it were just the same barbecue grill flat-black as the fenders.

• Front Rack
  • Rear Rack
  • K&H Pet Bike Basket
Thanks for posting your experiences and introductions here, I've really learned a lot of crucial/general type info you couldn't really get anywhere else.

AJ
PS: Beowoof is the bikes name. My wife thinks anything with wheels has to has to be christened and given a name. She has been kidding me about not being able to pronounce 'wolf' for about 32 years now and I think it's cute how much she hated having to write about Beowulf for school.
Naming a bike is a good idea. Then you are less likely to abuse it. Beowulf is a great story. The dragon at the end is really his own alter ego - it is his internal greed that the king must overcome. It is harming the people. Toward the beginning the descent under water to Grendel's lair is really a descent into his subconscious, then contending with is own mommy issues to become a man by doing battle with Grendel's mother.

Rider

Order and Delivery

Aesthetics

• Front Rack
  • Rear Rack
  • K&H Pet Bike Basket

AJ
Beowulf is Norse for "bee wolf," in other words, a bear. So the hero's name is Bear. There's a fairly recent movie of this story, within the last 6 or 8 years, I think. Angelina Jolie plays the monster's (Grendel's) mother--a very sexy monster's mom. I think it's been on Netflix.

John Gardner wrote a novel ("Grendel") from the monster's point of view. It really hurts his feelings when Beowulf tears his arm out by the roots. The dragon in this version very witty and ironic as he interrogates Grendel, who has come to "admire" the dragon's stash of loot.

Last edited:
Beowulf is Norse for "bee wolf," in other words, a bear. So the hero's name is Bear. There's a fairly recent movie of this story, within the last 6 or 8 years, I think. Angelina Jolie plays the monster's (Grendel's) mother--a very sexy monster's mom. I think it's been on Netflix.

John Gardner wrote a novel ("Grendel") from the monster's point of view. It really hurts his feelings when Beowulf tears his arm out by the roots. The dragon in this version very witty and ironic as he interrogates Grendel, who has come to "admire" the dragon's stash of loot.
expand...
Beowulf is a great name for a bike (or a jeep FTM) . And Grendel was about the only thing I read by Gaardner that I actually liked.
Welcome.

Back