Bent rear tire (maybe rim?)

xerxez

Has anyone else bent their rear tire on a "cross current"?

I bent mine pretty badly yesterday... not even sure how. I dropped it off at the LBS. They will try to straighten it.

Is it hard to move the hub motor to a new rim? Has anyone else had to do that?

Yes I have. To switch a motor into a new rim is a truly labor intensive project that would best involve a professional wheel maker....
if you could find one who´d take the job. I not saying you couldn´t DIY, but you´re looking at a very daunting task that´s
easy to screw up. Straightening a bent rim isn´t too hard provided it´s not badly bent, but again it´s something that
requires experience & preferably a special rim tool.( I didn´t actually swap in a motor, but replaced a full set of spokes.)

P.S. A cross current is a commuter not a mtn. bike as I discovered the hard way. It is strictly designed for paved surfaces &
smooth improved trails.

Last edited:
Yes I have. To switch a motor into a new rim is a truly labor intensive project that would best involve a professional wheel maker....
if you could find one who´d take the job. I not saying you couldn´t DIY, but you´re looking at a very daunting task that´s
easy to screw up. Straightening a bent rim isn´t too hard provided it´s not badly bent, but again it´s something that
requires experience & preferably a special rim tool.

P.S. A cross current is a commuter not a mtn. bike as I discovered the hard way. It is strictly designed for paved surfaces &
smooth improved trails.
I was just about to say, "John Peck did." Then I saw you had replied.

To the OP: it might be easier to get the rear wheel assembly from Juiced. They just got a shipment in so they may still be in stock, unless they were all pre-sold (like mine, I ordered in May and got it in early August.) It's going to cost you $350, but it will get the job done. Brand new motor, spokes, rim and gearset, all ready for installation. No assembly required.

I was just about to say, "John Peck did." Then I saw you had replied.

To the OP: it might be easier to get the rear wheel assembly from Juiced. They just got a shipment in so they may still be in stock, unless they were all pre-sold (like mine, I ordered in May and got it in early August.) It's going to cost you $350, but it will get the job done. Brand new motor, spokes, rim and gearset, all ready for installation. No assembly required.

Thanks for the information. Seems like a god-awful waste.... for a bent rim.

Thanks for the information. Seems like a god-awful waste.... for a bent rim.
Yeah, but $350 really isn´t a bad price for the whole put together, (if it comes tire mounted ) Save the spokes.
Just an after thought, if it got clunked bad enuff to bend a rim, it may have affected the asymmetric stays as well.🤔

Last edited:
It's not the worst... but man some mistakes are painful. We'll see if the LBO can "true it." They still have it.

Not to sounds like a heretic, but makes me want to buy a Frey next time. I wasn't gentle, but geeze, i didn't think i'd bent it.... we'll see what's next.

I have replaced a hub motor into a rim. Time consuming, but saves lots of $$. There are online instructions to do this. The only tool you need is a spoke wrench (in the correct size). If your LBS can't straighten your rim, I'd give it a try with a new rim. Your original spokes and nipples should be OK. Be sure to use some spoke prep on the spoke threads to prevent nipple loosening. I use linseed oil just because it's cheaper, and I can use it on wooden tool handles, too!

Yeah, but $350 really isn´t a bad price for the whole put together, (if it comes tire mounted ) Save the spokes.
Just an after thought, if it got clunked bad enuff to bend a rim, it may have affected the asymmetric stays as well.🤔

You're right on that one. There are plenty of models they can offer, but I would get fat tire bike, cause it can provide better traction on various terrains. Talking of which, here is a fat tire bikes website which I could found recently, where authors explain a lot of different nuances on which you should pay attention when you're purchasing your new bike.

Last edited:
I don't see why a bike shop would turn it down if they have someone that can do it, and if he's slow, just charge more. I have laced a half dozen That's like $300-500 of ebike budget saved. The first one was daunting, but I had another wheel to look at. I recall the last one started out looking like a pretzel, but I loosened everything, started again and it was fine.

It's a useful to know how spoking works if you have a a few old bikes. No more looking at front wheels wobbling, No more having rim brakes drag on one side of the rim.

Come to think of it, it did have a tire mounted as well. I wanted my like-new Marathon Plus transferred over so I really didn't pay attention to that.

I bought a rim. We'll see how long it takes. If i can complete the task in 5 hours, i'll be super surprised.

Rim will arrive in the mail in 1 or 2 weeks, i'd guess.

I bought a rim. We'll see how long it takes. If i can complete the task in 5 hours, i'll be super surprised.

I've found these resources to be handy in learning to build my own wheels;

Wheelbuilding - a lengthy Sheldon Brown article that covers just about every issue and technique.

The Bicycle Wheel - a book that is still in my shop library.

You will need a couple of specialty tools that are covered pretty well in these references.

Patience pays big rewards with this process.

Good luck!

Found "The Bicycle Wheel" in PDF, which is good, as I'm averse to buying books that are over $100.

Good tips all around. Thank you everyone!!

Found "The Bicycle Wheel" in PDF, which is good, as I'm averse to buying books that are over $100.

Good tips all around. Thank you everyone!!
The Bicycle Wheel was once available in paperback for under $20...😕. Can you share a link to the pdf version?

Sierratim - I'm sure it was. It looks like a classic! Thank you for telling me about it.

I found this helpful.

(Guess I can't just add in HTML code. Oops.)

So, I bought the rim from Juice... but I don't know when they'll mail it.

People say these rims will work on the CCS2.

1) Does anyone know where to buy those rims?
2) Can I assume my current spokes will be the same size as the rim? How do I mitigate that risk?

As always, any help is appreciated.

To use the same spokes the spoke eyelet to hub hole distance needs to be the same. Since your hub position doesn't change, the rim eyelet height from the tire bead needs to be the same. This SHELDON BROWN article sheds some light on this.

What you really need to know is the effective rim diameter. Measuring Effective Rim Diameter

Assuming you get a rim that is identical or has the same ERD, the easiest way to replace the bent one is to remove the tire/tube and tape the new rim next to the old one, with the valve hole also in the same position. Then just move one spoke over at a time. Then you do not have to worry about completely disassembling the wheel. Of course tensioning and truing would still need to be done, but transferring with the meathod above will save you a lot of time and potential headache.

Back