Bengal brake pads Aventure

Jbiker1

Region
USA
I obviously dont have a problem with brake pads yet. I was wondering if getting replacement brake pads will be a issue. I saw on the forums where someone was having problems getting replacement brake pads for a Level. The Level also uses Bengal hydraulic disk brakes. The Level has been out for a while, the Aventure has not.

I didn't know about Level's brake pads, so I just went on Aventon website

And it said PH02, which is this.
Free shipping Made in Taiwan BENGAL disc brake pads for SHIMANO TEKTRO AVID BENGAL  disc brake|padded hips|brake pad brandsbrake pads suzuki - AliExpress

So I went on AliExpress and found compatible pads, only took me a few seconds
The Level and the Aventure both use the same braking system (Bengal Ares 3), and thus, the same pads. The AliExpress pads linked above will not work for the Ares 3 brake caliper because it requires spring clips and the small channels on the pads for these clips. That channel can been seen on the product picture on the Aventon webstore. Without the channel and clips, one would have to rely on magnetic calipers to hold the pads from flopping around and wearing unevenly. The Ares 3 calipers are not magnetic - sadly...

I was actually able to get three sets of pads from Aventon when they became briefly available a month or so ago. Even with a change of pads, I still find the Ares 3 brakes to be grainy and sometimes loud, but they seem to wear very slightly, and they stop the bike well, so I deal with it. At some point in the near future, Aventon will have plenty of pads available, but if one absolutely needed to change them today - or be unable to ride - the only choices would be to wait, or replace them with a more mainstream brand of brake - like Shimano or the like.

Sorry I'm a bit confused.

You said those AliExpress pads won't work because it requires spring clips.
So are you saying that spring clips need to be included?

As you can see, I posted the picture of Bengal PH02, and even that goesn't come with the clips.
The clips are just not shown in the pics, but those OEM Bengal pads come with them included, and you can see the channel in the pad for the clip. I think Bengal went out on their own designing and manufacturing these pads, and because they seem to be a small player in the world of bike components, there are no proper 3rd party options as of yet.

I put a pair of the sintered Perfect Brake pads on the rear of my Level when I couldn't find the Bengal PH02 pads anywhere. There's no clip with them, but they fit into the magnetic Bengal calipers without any movement that I can detect and they provide smooth stopping power. I put Hayes MX-2 pads on the front with no clips and I can detect some movement and they're noisy. If the availability of Bengal pads doesn't improve soon I'm going to try the Perfect Brake pads on the front and see if it makes a difference.

Check the design of the pads and order off Amazon, they are very easy to install/remove....You just need to SLOWLY push the calipers back in so the new pads will fit. You may have to open the brake reservoir at the brake lever to allow the caliper to get back to flush.

Just to join in, I haven't ordered new pads yet, but I removed mine to see how much life was left, and noticed my calipers are magnetic.

Also, there appears to be a high level of metal in the pad, which could contribute to the "gravelly" sound that some people complain about. I had a similar issue with some Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes. When I changed the pads to a metal sintered pad with a higher metal content, the brakes were similarly noisy. Changing to a low metal resin pad made all of the difference and improved the ability to feather.

I have two Levels, all the brakes are magnetic and I have changed out all of the pads without the spring clips using the Gekors pads that I referenced above.

My turn to come to the table. I’m closing in on 1000 miles on my Aventure. I’m mainly riding gravel tails with lots of hills so I’m on my brakes all the time.
Having a really hard time finding new brake pads. I see the picture above
Of the new brakes. They look really close to mine. Does anybody have a link so I can buy several sets? I’ll post my type Thanks!

Attachments

• E7CD8767-1464-4466-9DC8-4A3699EC7032.jpeg
    E7CD8767-1464-4466-9DC8-4A3699EC7032.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 337
  • D4AA3E1F-5FC0-48EE-9734-C651444234D7.jpeg
    D4AA3E1F-5FC0-48EE-9734-C651444234D7.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 357
I Found brake pads for ares 3 brake. #PH02SA03
Avenue Cyclery. 415-387-3155. Just got them in Wednesday. I bought several pair extra. They’ve been on back order 5 months. Get extra

Attachments

• 0F147F1F-A84E-4E28-8C5A-BD92C818A6EA.jpeg
    0F147F1F-A84E-4E28-8C5A-BD92C818A6EA.jpeg
    809.4 KB · Views: 406
I Found brake pads for ares 3 brake. #PH02SA03
Avenue Cyclery. 415-387-3155. Just got them in Wednesday. I bought several pair extra. They’ve been on back order 5 months. Get extra
OK sooooo I too have bought from those guys but I think it's time to change out my calipers so I can buy a COMMON brake pad. My Bengal ares3 brakes are on an Ebike with electronic shut off to motor. Can someone suggest a replacement setup for me....I have little knowledge but very capable of the swap out. Can I just change the calipers?

Back