Belt verses chain

EdC

A belt will probably last longer than a chain on a bike with a cassette and derailer, but I don’t think a belt will last longer than a chain on a bike with gearing with an internal hub. I’ve had bikes with chains an internal hub gearing that has lasted 11 years without needing a new chain, and I’m still using the bike. Ed

I think a belt will outlast a chain. Harley uses a Gates belt, same kind of belt bikes are using and the size of belt used is actually more robust on bicycles when taking into account power and weight of a bike and the motorcycle. The H-D belt lasts 50 to 100 thousand miles.

I don't own a bicycle with a belt and I don't feel the need to own one, but I do own a Harley with a belt. Clean, quiet and trouble free. Time isn't the factor as much as miles, power applied and terrain where ridden. A chain can last a long time depending on application. Using a Park Tool chain measuring tool shows the stretch, and a stretched chain starts to wear cogs and chainrings. You don't get that with a belt for a very long time.

Nothing wrong with either setup.

I rode a BMC Alpenchallenge with belt and Shimano Alfine 8. What a smooth ride!!! My brother likes his Priority bike a lot.

I don’t really care if a belt is better than a chain. The cost of a chain is no big deal. My big concern is what the stress is on the other, more expensive, parts of the driveline.

The benefit of not having to clean and lube a chain is huge. Especially when I ride our rail trail in the summer. Limestone dust is not good on chains!

The benefit of not having to clean and lube a chain is huge. Especially when I ride our rail trail in the summer. Limestone dust is not good on chains!
Hardly any of those trails here and, since my bike came with a chain, cleaning/relubing is no big deal to me.

A timely article from Electrek regarding Belt Drives. ;)

Advantages of belt drives on e-bikes

Firstly, belt drives are incredibly low maintenance. Unlike chains that require frequent oiling and cleaning, belts can largely be ignored. If you ride through thick mud, it’s probably a good idea to knock the dried wads out. But other than that, you’re pretty much good to go with some good old-fashioned neglect.

Next, the presence of a belt drive usually means you’re going to get some kind of neat-o internally geared hub. Since you can’t use a standard derailleur like on a chain drive, you don’t have to worry about adjusting your deraileur and messing with finicky gears. Instead you’ll likely have some cool hub like an Enviolo CVT or maybe even a Rohloff if you bought a really nice bike.

Some belt drive e-bikes, especially the more affordable ones, stick with a single-speed setup. That’s how the Ride1Up Roadster V2 keeps the price below $1,000, by the way. So you’re out of luck with those if you were hoping for an internally geared hub. NuVinci continuously variable transmissions from Enviolo rock!

Even without maintenance, good belts simply last. Gates Carbon Drive, maker of some of the best e-bike belt drives out there, has systems that can last for 50,000 miles (80,000 km), believe it or not!

Belt drives are also cleaner, which is great for commuters. You’ll never get a grease mark on your nice slacks or ankle.

They’re smoother and quieter too – an important factor for e-bike riders that enjoy the quiet nature of cycling at speed with barely the whirr of a motor in the wind.

1604010788820.png

Last edited:
Back