Be careful of electrical components on your ebike....

So what do you do if you encounter a battery fire?
Charge in a spot you can monitor. Call 911. FD likely has the correct chemistry in extinguishers. This old noodle can't remember but think it was copper-based chemistry. All found by searching. Sorry, I thought I saved the link but did not.

...Bosch and other battery makers should be required to offer a fireproof carry/charge container for each li-ion battery they manufacture until they can produce batteries that don’t explode!
Sure, add another hundred dollars or more to an already drastically over-priced small battery. That'll fix the problem.

Yeah, I can’t imagine it helped the bike to be hosed but ya gotta do what ya gotta do! Bosch and other battery makers should be required to offer a fireproof carry/charge container for each li-ion battery they manufacture until they can produce batteries that don’t explode!
Fire containment is easily done but let's not overreact.

Here’s a you YouTube video showing the importance of using the correct charger.
Fire containment is easily done but let's not overreact.
Hardly an over-reaction, especially considering the size of these batteries. I fail to see why they can’t
Sure, add another hundred dollars or more to an already drastically over-priced small battery. That'll fix the problem.
Sure, add several thousand when your garage burns. I’m pretty sure they could work something up since it’s so easily done.

This is a LiPo RC type pack, known for volatility. NOT the same chemistry as in our battery packs.

They are the same chemistry, but one is in a can and the other is in a pouch. The can cells have the electrolyte in a wrapped and spun layer though. LiPo's are prone to expand. Small ones are used in camera batteries and the cheap ones always expand.

LiPo's are commonly used in RC hobby aircraft/cars/boats and usually don't have BMS. The owners are supposed to be more knowledgeable, and the batteries are smaller.

If you put 5-6 volts on an 18650 cell, it could go into thermal runaway like the one in the video.

The battery burning, in Marci's post is not the chemistry a majority of eBikes use. Apples to oranges.
Ok but that doesn’t mean they can’t start a really nasty fire that is hard to put out. Maybe I’m overly concerned and have been around too many fires and departments.

Ok but that doesn’t mean they can’t start a really nasty fire that is hard to put out. Maybe I’m overly concerned and have been around too many fires and departments.

I agree and charge in a safety can with a smoke detector.

I guess you can never be too safe..
But a little common sense goes a long way here. How many people leave their phones to charge on flammable material... or in a hot car?
I don't think you need to build a concrete bunker to charge your battery. Like what should we do when we're all driving electric cars in 10 years 🙃

Well first off my Prius is not a Li-on battery for one thing. Its nickel metal hydride. BTW, Toyota publishes instructions on their hybrid battery systems for fire departments.
Secondly, nobody is suggesting a concrete bunker. However, common sense would suggest that a suitable case of some sort would be useful for transport, charging and storage. Particularly when you consider how much vibration, bouncing, water, and extremes of hot/cold that some of these batteries are subjected to on the rock trails, pavement, jumps, yada, yada.
BTW, do you recall all the fires that happened with Samsung phone batteries just a few years back?

Last edited:
FYI...

We've all been warned, educated and agreed with you.
It's ok to silence the alarm.
And, since you’ve been warned, I’m sure you have other threads to read.
Just got off the phone with Bosch and no, they don’t have any kind of consumer documentation about fires related to their batteries. I was told you definitely shouldn’t allow the PowerTube (and I assume other ebike batteries) to get to 120F, especially in direct sunlight. So those of you who might be transporting/leaving any batteries in your car (especially if it’s windows are closed) should make sure they are not in direct sunlight.
Beyond that, I asked about any suggestions as to how to put out a fire involving their batteries and I was told by this person that he has never heard this topic brought up in the company. He did mention that a halon extinguisher would likely be the best for such a situation. He also mentioned that Bosch uses Zarges cases to transport batteries in certain situations and that they are capable of suppressIng fires.
FYI, they also reiterated their batteries are extensively tested and have a UL certification.
Finally, I mentioned the PowerTube 500 tear down video on YouTube and he said he’d never heard of it but was very interested in seeing it.

And, since you’ve been warned, I’m sure you have other threads to read.
Just got off the phone with Bosch and no, they don’t have any kind of consumer documentation about fires related to their batteries. I was told you definitely shouldn’t allow the PowerTube (and I assume other ebike batteries) to get to 120F, especially in direct sunlight. So those of you who might be transporting/leaving any batteries in your car (especially if it’s windows are closed) should make sure they are not in direct sunlight.
Beyond that, I asked about any suggestions as to how to put out a fire involving their batteries and I was told by this person that he has never heard this topic brought up in the company. He did mention that a halon extinguisher would likely be the best for such a situation. He also mentioned that Bosch uses Zarges cases to transport batteries in certain situations and that they are capable of suppressIng fires.
FYI, they also reiterated their batteries are extensively tested and have a UL certification.
Finally, I mentioned the PowerTube 500 tear down video on YouTube and he said he’d never heard of it but was very interested in seeing it.
Thanks for adding information to this topic. From my experience with halon extinguishers in industry, they can self discharge over time. They have to be tested and maintained by a service company. Halon extinguishers have been banned in the US and Canada for many years, due to the damage they cause to the ozone layer. I'm surprised to hear they are still in use in Germany. Great extinguishers though. Small, light and very effective.

Thanks for adding information to this topic. From my experience with halon extinguishers in industry, they can self discharge over time. They have to be tested and maintained by a service company. Halon extinguishers have been banned in the US and Canada for many years, due to the damage they cause to the ozone layer. I'm surprised to hear they are still in use in Germany. Great extinguishers though. Small, light and very effective.
Well, not sure but halotron comes up when I searched for halon.

Back