BBSHD lack power while pedaling

tlpwka

Region
Europe
Hello,

I recently replaced my 2-years old BBSHD with new one (wich I planned to use on another bicycle). And immediately feel what I need almost double the current to ride at the same speed. I tested and new and old bbshd on the same road:
  • Eggrider screen.
  • Same settings are programmed on both motors.
  • No issue in throttle mode.
  • HW/SW revision of controllers, shown while connected to pc with cable, are the same.
  • While pedaling new bbshd at higher rpm feels like assist is greatly reduced (screen show no reduction in current).
I do not understand, where problem can be...

Hello,

I recently replaced my 2-years old BBSHD with new one (wich I planned to use on another bicycle). And immediately feel what I need almost double the current to ride at the same speed. I tested and new and old bbshd on the same road:
  • Eggrider screen.
  • Same settings are programmed on both motors.
  • No issue in throttle mode.
  • HW/SW revision of controllers, shown while connected to pc with cable, are the same.
  • While pedaling new bbshd at higher rpm feels like assist is greatly reduced (screen show no reduction in current).
I do not understand, where problem can be...
I agree with Tom. Eggrider may not be reading the controller settings responsible for your issue. You'll need to access them with a programming cable and your favorite software to see what's going on....

I agree with Tom. Eggrider may not be reading the controller settings responsible for your issue. You'll need to access them with a programming cable and your favorite software to see what's going on....
Ditto, what Tom and Al said.
Sounds like your settings are not the same for both controllers.

The external casing will be different. But I'm just wondering if Bafang made different winding for BBSHD just like their hub motors.
If so, Kv rating will be different. You will have difficult time reaching higher rpm.
I don't think the issue is there because with trothle behaviore is the same🤔

Same setting in the display, AND in the controller using a programming app and cable?

Come on @Timpo stop asking silly and supercilious questions.

No.
Should be. I programmed both controllers using PC.
Then on eggrider I done initilize to apply settings to both road and offroad mods.
Only settings i changed via display on new motor is "keep current": after i detected the issue, i increased "keep current" from 75% to 100% with no sensible difference at pedal cadens 70-80.

Just verified via pc, both controllers have the same settings apart of "keep curent" I increased previously.

I don't see how is it possible to verify further if are the same settings is in use via display. Display is the same for both motors.

P.S.: throttle tested at 57V@4A
Pedalling at [email protected]

Last edited:
What happens if you use identical keep current settings?
If both controllers are set to IDENTICAL settings, no exceptions, and one still has your odd behavior look to EggRider. Personally although I sold dozens of EggRiders I gave my evaluation samples as gifts to riders here. For me they’re overly complex ans add another layer of potential frustrating errors. For little benefit. I’ve been riding BBSXX series motors since 2014.

Last edited:
Since Eggrider can double as a complete settings interface, and it has known (as well as occasionally unknown, per the Facebook user group) quirks and bugs, my first thought was to get it out of the picture and THEN match up your settings. This would require using a different display. Not sure why you would use an Eggrider at all if you have access to a PC and programming cable. Were you after the minimalist ER2.0 display?

ah, okay.
I didn't know.
I was just wondering because Bafang doesn't like making it clear about windings.
It was a fair question Timpo. You're fine....

What happens if you use identical keep current settings?
If both controllers are set to IDENTICAL settings, no exceptions, and one still has your odd behavior look to EggRider. Personally although I sold dozens of EggRiders I gave my evaluation samples as gifts to riders here. For me they’re overly complex ans add another layer of potential frustrating errors. For little benefit. I’ve been riding BBSXX series motors since 2014.
Yes, they are identical and set from PC intially.
As i understand i need to find another display to test :/

Since Eggrider can double as a complete settings interface, and it has known (as well as occasionally unknown, per the Facebook user group) quirks and bugs, my first thought was to get it out of the picture and THEN match up your settings. This would require using a different display. Not sure why you would use an Eggrider at all if you have access to a PC and programming cable. Were you after the minimalist ER2.0 display?
Yes, I searched for a small display and SW2 had only 4 or no current level display

How did you run the wires? Is the battery wire between the motor and the frame? A crimped wire is an easy explanation. I like to look at the low hanging fruit first. In the Art of War one of my favorite stories is that of the brother physicians. One was famous for complex heroic efforts, the other was unknown because no one in his village got sick.

Back