BBSHD installed in my Radrover

Maybe Bafang will address this. Bafang doesn't sell a lot of DIY hubs in the US.
the hub motor they always wholesale to the electric bike manufacturers,in my town ,as I know there are three big factories that use the bafang hub motor on there ebikes. we think the main reason is that the hub motor is more complicated installation than mid drive motor, firstly,the mid motor is with the controller inside,secondly most of people can do DIY as it s in the mid of the bike,and dont need to care the wheel .
so they encourage the mid motor retail, the hubs in wholesale.

the hub motor they always wholesale to the electric bike manufacturers,in my town ,as I know there are three big factories that use the bafang hub motor on there ebikes. we think the main reason is that the hub motor is more complicated installation than mid drive motor, firstly,the mid motor is with the controller inside,secondly most of people can do DIY as it s in the mid of the bike,and dont need to care the wheel .
so they encourage the mid motor retail, the hubs in wholesale.
That makes sense. Bafang is an exciting company that is interesting to follow.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Yes, I technically have two motors on it, but the hub motor is not hooked up. I'm trying to figure out if it'll be worth it to get another battery and hook it all back up.
Hey Neal, have you thought of trying to rig the hub motor to work as re-gen when breaking? I was planning on doing the bbshd conversion soon as well and thought about re re-purposing the hub motor for re-gen. I wouldn't have the slightest clue as to how to implement it yet though if it is something you would be interested in maybe we can work together on it

Wait, why is the 42T making you go faster??? I bought a BBSHD last week and threw it on my Rad Mini (love how I can hide wiring in the box below the battery!!)... but I'm topping out at 28MPH like you said at the beginning... wouldn't shifiting to a higher gear on the rear sprocket have the same effect as lowering the teeth on the front?

I'm not an engineer that knows the math and exact reasons for this, all I can say is from my experience with multiple BBSHD builds that I'm finding the best performing front sprocket size to be 38-42T.

I originally used the 46 tooth paper weight sprocket. I just installed the 42 tooth Luna sprocket before taking these pictures and it made a huge difference. I hit 32mph using the throttle only and 40 mph pedal assisted (both on fairly flat ground). The new gearing is perfect now. I'll try to get it out to do hill climb testing before the new battery so I can get an idea of the difference the battery only will make.

On my BBSHD with 42 teeth chain ring my cadence at 28 mph is 91 rpm. So if you are doing 40 mph on pedal assist then your cadence is an impressively fast 130 rpm, far beyond what most cyclists achieve. It is even beyond the assist capacity of Bosch drive which max out at 120 rpm. You must be very athletic! However, I tested my BBSHD and it has a freewheel (unloaded) speed of 170 rpm (52 volts) and a top loaded speed/road speed of 150 rpm. So 130 rpm cadence on BBSHD is doable.

I come from a BMX background where I practiced "spinning" on a daily basis. I don't have big legs so I needed fast legs to keep up.

I come from a BMX background where I practiced "spinning" on a daily basis. I don't have big legs so I needed fast legs to keep up.
If you have a yamaha on your Haibike then the motor assist is even at a lower RPM. The assist peaks in the 80's rpm and then gradually fades away beyond those number.

Wait, why is the 42T making you go faster??? I bought a BBSHD last week and threw it on my Rad Mini (love how I can hide wiring in the box below the battery!!)... but I'm topping out at 28MPH like you said at the beginning... wouldn't shifiting to a higher gear on the rear sprocket have the same effect as lowering the teeth on the front?

I changed the 42 teeth chain ring to 48 teeth on my BBSHD and my cadence at 28 mph was reduced from 91 rpm to a comfortable 80 rpm. On PAS3 (which I programmed at 350 watts) my top speed has increased from 31 mph to 33 mph. I don't do full power since my priority is optimum range, but it is nice to know that I have the power when I need it.

I just finished installing a BBSHD mid drive on my Radrover. Wow! What a difference! This thing will climb a tree now, as well as run 28 mph with throttle only. The kit installed very easily. I went slow and took my time and it took about 2.5 hours. I kept the battery/holder and just soldered the new heavier power cables (that the kit came with) into the base. This also included time to install the power cut out for the delraileur. (This requires the cable to be removed from the housing and a short section of the housing to be cut out and re-installed and adjusted.). The shifting is super smooth and the bike is so much faster now. I'm running 9 levels of PAS so I'm not bouncing between two settings as much now. One of my original complaints with the Radrover is PAS 1 isn't enough for most of my normal riding and PAS 2 was too much. With the additional power of the BBSHD I've found PAS 1 to be very comfortable and kicking it up to 2 gives it just enough extra kick. I don't feel is as big of a jump as it was originally.
I left the hub motor in as I have plans to run dual motors some day and I need to decide how I'm going to go about the specifics of it. I'm trying to figure out a way I can run both motors on PAS, and the Radrover's cadence sensor won't mount on the new bottom bracket.
pictures details please! Luna has a larger battery pack, still couldn't run to motors from it. Seen a post somewhere with how to wire in for duel controller operation. My wife has, a Rad as well, I have a Teo. She can out climb me easily!

I just finished installing a BBSHD mid drive on my Radrover. Wow! What a difference! This thing will climb a tree now, as well as run 28 mph with throttle only. The kit installed very easily. I went slow and took my time and it took about 2.5 hours. I kept the battery/holder and just soldered the new heavier power cables (that the kit came with) into the base. This also included time to install the power cut out for the delraileur. (This requires the cable to be removed from the housing and a short section of the housing to be cut out and re-installed and adjusted.). The shifting is super smooth and the bike is so much faster now. I'm running 9 levels of PAS so I'm not bouncing between two settings as much now. One of my original complaints with the Radrover is PAS 1 isn't enough for most of my normal riding and PAS 2 was too much. With the additional power of the BBSHD I've found PAS 1 to be very comfortable and kicking it up to 2 gives it just enough extra kick. I don't feel is as big of a jump as it was originally.
I left the hub motor in as I have plans to run dual motors some day and I need to decide how I'm going to go about the specifics of it. I'm trying to figure out a way I can run both motors on PAS, and the Radrover's cadence sensor won't mount on the new bottom bracket.

I just ordered my 2018 rad rover- have not received it yet but plan to install the BBSHD mid-drive as I am going to do some rough terrain riding, so does your rad rover have the 100mm or 120mm bottom tube length?

I just ordered my 2018 rad rover- have not received it yet but plan to install the BBSHD mid-drive as I am going to do some rough terrain riding, so does your rad rover have the 100mm or 120mm bottom tube length?
For my bike the 100mm fit perfectly

Thanks for the reply. You say you left the mid-drive motor in- what did you do with the electrical cable? Do you know if the motor can be removed- if so how do you keep the sprocket assembly intact? If you don't know- may be some one else has an answer please.

Thanks for the reply. You say you left the mid-drive motor in- what did you do with the electrical cable? Do you know if the motor can be removed- if so how do you keep the sprocket assembly intact? If you don't know- may be some one else has an answer please.
I just unplugged the hub motor from the controller and taped the cable up and out of the way. It is possible to take the hub motor out, but since the motor IS the hub, you would need to find a hub that would fit the width of the frame, be compatible with your rim, and take it to a bike shop to have all the spokes taken out of your existing rim/hub and have the new one laced up and trued. The new hub may require a new gear cassette assembly as well. For the cost and hassle that would be required in this process, I simply left it in.

Honestly, there are way better options out there rather than purchasing a Radrover with the intent on putting a BBSHD in it. For the same money, you could build a much lighter, better equipped bike. I ended up selling my Radrover and built a Boris the Brute Sprung that is way nicer, for not much more money.

Last edited:
I just unplugged the hub motor from the controller and taped the cable up and out of the way. It is possible to take the hub motor out, but since the motor IS the hub, you would need to find a hub that would fit the width of the frame, be compatible with your rim, and take it to a bike shop to have all the spokes taken out of your existing rim/hub and have the new one laced up and trued. The new hub may require a new gear cassette assembly as well. For the cost and hassle that would be required in this process, I simply left it in.

Honestly, there are way better options out there rather than purchasing a Radrover with the intent on putting a BBSHD in it. For the same money, you could build a much lighter, better equipped bike. I ended up selling my Radrover and built a Boris the Brute Sprung that is way nicer, for not much more money.

Thanks Neal- good stuff. It may be easier to just find a new wheel with the hub and cassette. There are a number of fat non-motorized bikes out there. Gonna do some more research.

Hey Hotabeh, I’m interested in putting a BBSHD on my Radmini, primarily to get more climbing power with cargo. How did it work? The box and support arm didn’t get in the way? Does it still rest ok after folding? Did you remove the hub motor after? Can you post pics? Thanks. I’m a total newb, but stoked on the idea of a fat tire folding mid motor bike.

I’m curious if you ever ran both motors at once.

Hi all,

Friend has two Radrovers and he has burned out two rear hub motors. He has replaced one with a new hub motor but he is worried about burning out more hub motors. Where we live we have lots of steep hills particularly when you go offroad. I think a hub motor is great for people who don't push their bikes hard or don't live in areas with steep terrain.
So he decided to upgrade one of his Radrovers to mid drive. Here are the parts that we got for it.

Halo Tundra Fat 6D Rear Wheel 15x177mm TA from Northwest Bicycles: $277.40
Axel to fit hub with bolts on end from mtbtools: $33.79
7 speed SRAM 11-34 cassette from ebay: $37.71
Bafang HD mid drive 100MM bottom bracket kit from Luna Cycles: Around $650 plus tax and shipping.
Two 7 speed chains: around $30. One chain is not long enough.

You need spacers behind the 7 speed cassette since it is an 11 speed freebody on the wheel.

Ideally one should go with a custom from chainring that is lighter and smaller than 46 teeth and go to a 10 speed or 11 speed cassette with a range of 11-50 or at least 11-42 for best offroad hill climbing. But our friend wanted to watch his pennies for now.

Got it together and it is working great. We had some Avid BB7 calipers sitting around and larger rotors so we put those on for better braking.

Finished it last night and it works great.

So for under $1200 he got a fat bike mid drive e bike. He also has 3 Radrover batteries so he can carry an extra or two since he often does 60 to 70 mile bike rides with lots of elevation gain.

Back