BBSHD installed in my Radrover

I originally used the 46 tooth paper weight sprocket. I just installed the 42 tooth Luna sprocket before taking these pictures and it made a huge difference. I hit 32mph using the throttle only and 40 mph pedal assisted (both on fairly flat ground). The new gearing is perfect now. I'll try to get it out to do hill climb testing before the new battery so I can get an idea of the difference the battery only will make.

BBSHD is a very capable motor. Great addition to that frame.
There is absolutely no need to run two motor unless you are carrying heavy load.
If you can reduce the weight of that extra motor, it would make it very bicycle-like. I imagine, it would be terrific to ride as well.

Below is a picture of the display after a 27 mile ride around town today. Mixture of PAS 1 and 2 with some throttle in there to jump out into traffic. I did mange to find a hill to climb several times. It was about 200 feet of 4x4 trail up a hill and if it were any steeper I think I would have just flipped over backward. It had the traction and the power though. I was riding with a friend that was on an HPC 1300 watt BBS02 Enduro bike and he was so impressed that he went home and ordered two BBSHD units. One for his HPC bike and one for his Radrover. I did a 5 mile sprint home and never saw speeds under 30 mph, and was passing cars in a 35mph zone. ( I wasn't speeding, traffic was running about 30). I was using PAS 9 for those 5 miles and the display did dip to 20% battery for the 10 minutes I kept it pinned at 1500 watts, but bounced back to 50% when I slowed down to make to turn in my driveway. I even did some donuts in the parking lot and got some video of that.
Just uploaded it so it might takes some time for it to go live.

image.jpeg

I just finished installing a BBSHD mid drive on my Radrover. Wow! What a difference! This thing will climb a tree now, as well as run 28 mph with throttle only. The kit installed very easily. I went slow and took my time and it took about 2.5 hours. I kept the battery/holder and just soldered the new heavier power cables (that the kit came with) into the base. This also included time to install the power cut out for the delraileur. (This requires the cable to be removed from the housing and a short section of the housing to be cut out and re-installed and adjusted.). The shifting is super smooth and the bike is so much faster now. I'm running 9 levels of PAS so I'm not bouncing between two settings as much now. One of my original complaints with the Radrover is PAS 1 isn't enough for most of my normal riding and PAS 2 was too much. With the additional power of the BBSHD I've found PAS 1 to be very comfortable and kicking it up to 2 gives it just enough extra kick. I don't feel is as big of a jump as it was originally.
I left the hub motor in as I have plans to run dual motors some day and I need to decide how I'm going to go about the specifics of it. I'm trying to figure out a way I can run both motors on PAS, and the Radrover's cadence sensor won't mount on the new bottom bracket.
I originally used the 46 tooth paper weight sprocket. I just installed the 42 tooth Luna sprocket before taking these pictures and it made a huge difference. I hit 32mph using the throttle only and 40 mph pedal assisted (both on fairly flat ground). The new gearing is perfect now. I'll try to get it out to do hill climb testing before the new battery so I can get an idea of the difference the battery only will make.
neal what fenders do you have? Thanks

Those are the Grand M.O.M. And Grand D.A.D. fenders. They are right at 4 inches wide at the widest part.

A friend of mine was so impressed with this bike that I ended up selling it to him. I loved the BBSHD so much and the fat tires that I custom built a new (better and more expensive) bike to replace it. I started a thread on the build here.
https://electricbikereview.com/community/threads/finally-finished-my-new-fat-bike-build.4328/
Ha! Sick! I actually have a stealth bomber so the RR is really just to putt around but I really wish I could get a little more top end out of the thing without dropping another 750 into it....any thoughts?

Ha! Sick! I actually have a stealth bomber so the RR is really just to putt around but I really wish I could get a little more top end out of the thing without dropping another 750 into it....any thoughts?
That's a tough one. I didn't think turning a $1500 bike into a $2200 bike was that bad, especially considering the performance gains.

That's a tough one. I didn't think turning a $1500 bike into a $2200 bike was that bad, especially considering the performance gains.
Lol...it's not, just a little more about the principle of keeping it in tact the way it was designed.

Are you saying the smaller sprocket moves the gear range UP? I thought it was more T = LOWER gearing in front?
I'm going to be replacing the chain and sproket on my Haibike and I'd like to gear it taller, so i can pedal it beyond the boost more. (higher top speed)
Thought that meant higher tooth count?????

Lower teeth on the front sprocket means lower gearing. It also means more power... In this case I think the 46 tooth sprocket was too high and was working the motor too hard. Kind of like downshifting in a car to gain speed... More speed isn't all about gears, it's more about matching power with gearing.

hmmm, that's the same gearing Haibike uses (sprockets) and the Bafang is a lot stronger motor. Weird that would be overgeared. Interesting.

Are you saying the smaller sprocket moves the gear range UP? I thought it was more T = LOWER gearing in front?
I'm going to be replacing the chain and sproket on my Haibike and I'd like to gear it taller, so i can pedal it beyond the boost more. (higher top speed)
Thought that meant higher tooth count?????
More teeth in the front makes you go faster.

@flymeaway Install is all finished. Everything works and no issues yet. Went with full color display, orange grips, 42T chainring, and gear sensor. All running on 52V dolphin pack.

seems lots of people like the bafang mid drive central motor?
For DIY central motor, in the US, there aren't many choices. People build the BBS02 or BBSHD.

It would be nice to have DIY mid-drives with a torque sensor pedal assist. I build hubs. I have two Golden Motor hubs and a Mac hub. The pedal assists are not very good.

Maybe Bafang will address this. Bafang doesn't sell a lot of DIY hubs in the US.

Golden doesn't seem very responsive. The Mac market is tiny in the US.

The choices are kind of limited, for builders.

Back