BBSHD dies on higher power

Deckel

Region
Europe
Hello, first post here.

I have a problem with my bbshd.
The system dies completly when I applie more than 500 watts.
When the battery is neraly full it can only deliver 250 (pas 2).

When it crashes I can notice that the volatge shown on the display drops.
After it crashed it needs a moment to work again.

Here is a video of it going completely nuts: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gzfkbh7i26byx0o/VID_20210325_144135.mp4?dl=0
I noticed that it won't work at all when the battery is fully charged.
But when I discharge it a little with very low power it runs very stable until the battey is empty.
I haven't really tried throttle over 250 watts jet.

Before this problem accrued everything was fine and I had about 250km on the bike.
But I did ride it very agressive (throttle only and max power).
The conditions where also very rough. (Snow, road salt, big hills).

I hope someone can help me here to get this thing up and running again.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Videoframe_20210325_142740_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    Videoframe_20210325_142740_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 204
Please share your actual battery voltage, static, and when the motor crashes. I'd check it with a multimeter. I can't see what the voltage is on the display in some parts of the video. I've not seen this same event on any BBSHD or BBS02. FWIW (I have supported sold and ridden BBSxx motors for nearly 7 years) Looks more like a battery issue to me. Does the display always show around 53V?

Last edited:
I concur... Looks like a battery issue. Post a photo of your battery.
Check all wires between battery and motor.
Check the Discharge contacts on the battery and mounting plate if that's the type of battery that you have

Please share your actual battery voltage, static, and when the motor crashes. I'd check it with a multimeter. I can't see what the voltage is on the display in some parts of the video. I've not seen this same event on any BBSHD or BBS02. FWIW (I have supported sold and ridden BBSxx motors for nearly 7 years) Looks more like a battery issue to me. Does the display always show around 53V?
No it charges up to 54,6V like it should but then as I said it runs very unstable.
I can see a voltage as low as 22,4V in my video.

Last edited:
I concur... Looks like a battery issue. Post a photo of your battery.
Check all wires between battery and motor.
Check the Discharge contacts on the battery and mounting plate if that's the type of battery that you have
Yes, it is on of these but I just taped it on my frame.
I will take a closer look on it.

No it charges up to 54,6V like it should but then as I said it runs very unstable.
I can see a voltage as low as 22,4V in my video.
Sounds like battery sag. Who sold you the battery?

What is the voltage when it quits?
You mean the cut off volltage?

Or when it dies? I don't reall know, it just drops to the floor and comes back to normal a few seconds later but sometimes it just dies immediately.
In the video it showed down to 22,4V.

Does it ever make a clicking sound?
If so that is a short. It can create a weld hole through the frame. This is very bad. Rough conditions is why I ask. These motors do not have a secondary support and are prone to shift, creating a short.

Does it ever make a clicking sound?
If so that is a short. It can create a weld hole through the frame. This is very bad. Rough conditions is why I ask. These motors do not have a secondary support and are prone to shift, creating a short.
No, never heard a clicking sound.

How is the power routed. Can you send photos? It could be that a connector is failing partially due to freeze/thaw.

How is the power routed. Can you send photos? It could be that a connector is failing partially due to freeze/thaw.
Everything was were salty a few days ago. (due to road salt)
Tomorow I could make some more detailed photos.

Is this plug looking normal?

Attachments

• IMG_20210317_063400.jpg
    IMG_20210317_063400.jpg
    506.7 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20210325_144626.jpg
    IMG_20210325_144626.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 230
Great. Thank you for the photos. When you can inspect either side of the plug, such as under the zip tie. Some salty water may have entered from the backside or outside of the connector. The inside looks good.
When you can turn off the battery and remove it. Then clean the bike in a warm, dry area with very low pressure water and a spay bottle with some shampoo and a little dish soap, letting everything dry thoroughly. After a couple of days reinstall the battery and see if it is all good. And seal around the outside of the connectors with some Permatex gasket maker.
Here is one of my electric bikes from today's outing in town. No connectors. Everything is soldered and sealed with adhesive shrink tube.

Attachments

• UnionJack07.JPG
    UnionJack07.JPG
    639.1 KB · Views: 237
  • UnionJack08.JPG
    UnionJack08.JPG
    297.7 KB · Views: 243
Yes, it is on of these but I just taped it on my frame.
I will take a closer look on it.
With looking at your photos... I still think you have a bad connection somewhere between the battery and the motor.
Clean all connections with Contact Cleaner or similar to see if it improves.
The Negative - on the connector in your photo looks darker than the Positive +
This darker color is from environmental condition and/or vibration. A dirty negative will give you fluctuating voltage as is your problem
How do you charge the battery? Does it have a separate charging port?
Again... a photo of the battery.

Last edited:
With looking at your photos... I still think you have a bad connection somewhere between the battery and the motor.
Clean all connections with Contact Cleaner or similar to see if it improves.
The Negative - on the connector in your photo looks darker than the Positive +
This darker color is from environmental condition and/or vibration. A dirty negative will give you fluctuating voltage as is your problem
How do you charge the battery? Does it have a separate charging port?
Again... a photo of the battery.
You were right.
There is a VERY bad connection between the battery and the motor.
Im sorry that I checked it just now.
Should have been my first thing to do like everybody suggested.

I allready tried contact cleaner but it is still nor working better.
The battery has a seperate charging port.

Attachments

• IMG_20210328_153618.jpg
    IMG_20210328_153618.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_20210328_145630.jpg
    IMG_20210328_145630.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Desktop Screenshot 2021.03.28 - 21.29.11.95 (2).png
    Desktop Screenshot 2021.03.28 - 21.29.11.95 (2).png
    273.1 KB · Views: 212
Great. Thank you for the photos. When you can inspect either side of the plug, such as under the zip tie. Some salty water may have entered from the backside or outside of the connector. The inside looks good.
When you can turn off the battery and remove it. Then clean the bike in a warm, dry area with very low pressure water and a spay bottle with some shampoo and a little dish soap, letting everything dry thoroughly. After a couple of days reinstall the battery and see if it is all good. And seal around the outside of the connectors with some Permatex gasket maker.
Here is one of my electric bikes from today's outing in town. No connectors. Everything is soldered and sealed with adhesive shrink tube.
Thank you for your advise.

Your bike is looking really clean.
Im afraid to post my bike in its full glory because it is just such a shitty mess of cables, dirt and lots of duck tape.

Go ahead an post your bike. Every one of us had a first bike. The most important thing is that you are in the game!
My town, Petaluma, has a world famous Ugly Dog Contest. You can still love your dog even if is not going to win a dog show.
1616961380636.png

Back