BBS02 Headlight circuit current limit

Tmiller48111

Region
USA
Hello all! I want to use the headlight circuit to power some custom built lights and possibly a USB charger/outlet. Does anyone know the current limit on the headlight circuit? I know the voltage is stated at 6 volts.

The light line can be enhanced with a relay or (my preference) a MOSFET.
The widely available 2n7000 switches on nicely with 6V on the gate, and you can parallel as many as needed for current handling.

On my bike I use a DC-DC converter to drop the bat V to 12V.
I can sketch up a schematic if anyone is interested.

The widely available 2n7000 switches on nicely with 6V on the gate, and you can parallel as many as needed for current handling.

Not sure I'd go that route as I prefer an independent set of switches horn/light on the handlebars... But I'd like to see what you are doing.

So I tapped the battery with a 4a fuse to feed the auxiliary. I made it so the horn flashes the headlight as well.

Diode.jpg

Yes, I would like to see this schematic!

Thanks! Well done!
Over my head as far as necessity/advantage is another reason I probably won't go that route 🙃.
Why 12v lights when so much is available at 48v or with variable input from 6v - 60v?
Not a big fan of using the display as the switch as it dims when lights are turned on making daytime use annoying.
Then there's my need of a horn.

Last edited:
I’m liking my roxim headlight. 12v-60v with a simple tap. I bought a bag of fuses and can adapt to any connector.

1691624175526.jpeg

Why 12v lights when so much is available at 48v or with variable input from 6v - 60v?
Not a big fan of using the display as the switch as it dims when lights are turned on making daytime use annoying.
There's lots of automotive stuff that runs on 12V. Gives me more future flexibility.
I prefer not to run wiring higher than 12V all over the bike, for safety.
The backlight on my C961 display goes off and on with the headlight.

My "horn":

Last edited:
There's lots of automotive stuff that runs on 12V. Gives me more future flexibility.
I prefer not to run wiring higher than 12V all over the bike, for safety.

The backlight on my C961 display goes off and on with the headlight.

My "horn":

hmmm... food for thought.
I agree that 12v is safer... But so is simplicity and not having more hardware than necessary that can fail.
But hey there's more than one way to skin a cat. How are you mounting and protecting the hardware?

My primary horn is similar.
Excellent for pedestrians and riding the MUP... but I found it totally inadequate for roads, parking lots and motor vehicles. I'm running more and more errands on my bike these days.

Bells are great, but I’ve found even for pedestrians on the path, most are plugged into earbuds and don’t hear the bell unless it’s uber obnoxious. Best I can hope for is that if they are walking a dog, the dog notices the bell. I too am doing more bike errands and need some kind of horn.

Back