Battery Range on new 52 volt 15 amp Rize RX

Robertsailor

Region
Canada
We have just ordered 2 new Rize bikes. I ordered the RX model with the 1000 watt mid drive engine. Last years bikes with the same engine were 48 volt 19 amp batteries, which are decent wattage and pretty good range. Rize is trying to sell more batteries this year and I'm trying to decide whether I need a second battery. We do live in a hilly area however most of the miles will be put on will be on flater ground.....so question....if you were using lots of peddle assist....what might one expect for mileage?

Generally the range may not improve much if at all with a 52V battery, but it will stay above the 48V ideal voltage longer so you shouldn't see the power delivery fall off so quickly below 50% like the old ones. The low voltage cutout is also higher in the 52V, so it will shut down around 44-46V, vs 40-42 for the old 48V batteries.

Time will tell how it pans out once the new models are delivered, and whether or not there are any firmware updates with this years models. My last-years RX Pro gets anywhere from ~30-35kms on PAS 4 Sport using very high assist and high throttle usage, to ~60-70kms on PAS 2 or 3 in eco. I am sure I could stretch it further if I really wanted to maximize the range, but it would require very low assist and some concerted effort.

I just recently updated some settings on my Ultra (Last years model), and I seem to be getting maybe 10% or so better range now. Still evaluating...

I didn't know Rized had 52V 15Ah, but..
Assuming you're on the same power setting (watt rating), you will get less mileage.

52V x 15Ah = 780Wh
48V x 19.2Ah = 921.6Wh

780Wh ÷ 921.6Wh = 84.63%

So by switching to 52V 15Ah battery, you will get 84.63% of what you get with 48V 19.2Ah battery.
Or you will lose 15.37%, whichever you wanna call it.
Good catch, I hadn't even noticed that the new batteries were smaller.

Makes that 30Ah dual battery option much more appealing. Although the price is getting up there now...

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Yes like you I'm thinking Rize is upping their margins by selling additional batteries...if I could get maybe 55-60 k on the 15 amp battery using reasonable peddling power I'd probably pass on the extra battery but if not I'd have to dig deeper for the 2nd battery. It will cost me an additional 200 bucks over the current price if I order it after delivery so just trying to do some due diligence that might allow me to make a more informed decision.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Yes like you I'm thinking Rize is upping their margins by selling additional batteries...if I could get maybe 55-60 k on the 15 amp battery using reasonable peddling power I'd probably pass on the extra battery but if not I'd have to dig deeper for the 2nd battery. It will cost me an additional 200 bucks over the current price if I order it after delivery so just trying to do some due diligence that might allow me to make a more informed decision.
I suspect you could pull that off if you are cautious, although a couple of points to keep in mind:

1. The Ultra cannot be pedaled effectively without power (i.e. dead battery), as the mid-drive does not have a clutch (so you have to turn the motor to pedal). It is an absolute bear without power, and would bring you to tears on even a moderate hill.
2. As Rich mentioned, Cold weather performance does decrease below say 15C, and dramatically so below 5C. Not a problem for most summer riders, but worth bearing in mind. My experience is up to 50% range reduction below 10C, and I need an entire battery just to get to work (~25kms). A neoprene battery cover or similar can help keep the range around 70% or so of normal summer performance.

For comparison, I also have a Rize X with the 750 Hub, and It pedals just fine with no power, and I can stretch it's legs to 100kms with relative ease. I don't bring a spare battery with me on that one because I know I can get home regardless. I don't dare take the Ultra beyond 50km rides without my spare. YMMV! :)

Get the double battery option now while you can. Plan on embracing Ebiking. We have a rider in our group who has Rize with a 17 Ah battery and he is limiting the range and scope of trips ( hills and distance) the rest of can do with our extra batteries when he joins us. Every trip I tell him to get a second battery.

Last edited:
Again more quality information courtesy of people with a much deeper knowledge base than me...thanks a million....I'm now thinking of biting the bullet and buying the second battery.

Generally the range may not improve much if at all with a 52V battery, but it will stay above the 48V ideal voltage longer so you shouldn't see the power delivery fall off so quickly below 50% like the old ones. The low voltage cutout is also higher in the 52V, so it will shut down around 44-46V, vs 40-42 for the old 48V batteries.

Time will tell how it pans out once the new models are delivered, and whether or not there are any firmware updates with this years models. My last-years RX Pro gets anywhere from ~30-35kms on PAS 4 Sport using very high assist and high throttle usage, to ~60-70kms on PAS 2 or 3 in eco. I am sure I could stretch it further if I really wanted to maximize the range, but it would require very low assist and some concerted effort.

I just recently updated some settings on my Ultra (Last years model), and I seem to be getting maybe 10% or so better range now. Still evaluating...
I also have last year's model of the RX Pro and have been wanting a second battery. I soooo want to get a 52v battery, but Rize says it won't work on last years RX Pro. It is a 48v controller. Then hardcore ebike people tell me the Ultra can handle the 52v no problem. Have you tried a 52v on yours?

No, I have 2 batteries already, but I also suspect it would work. Another 'But' - the range via the display would not be accurate (or even a little useful) unless there was a 52V setting in the controller/display. You would have to go by the LED's on the battery head, which are also notoriously inaccurate. You would need a separate charger as well, as the stock charger only goes to 54V, but a 52V battery needs 58 to be full. And keep them straight at the house so you don't overcharge the 48V.

Once the warranty is off though, a new controller and display to make the upgrade aren't that expensive. Batteries are though, and I don't think there would be an easy way to use both a 52V and a 48V battery without constantly changing the settings in the display? I'd suggest either just buy a second battery, or double down and go all in with a new battery and controller straight off (DAMN THE WARRANTIES CAPTAIN!!), and sell the other battery while it's still brand new, but that's probably not the most cost effective route on a new bike. ;-)

We have just ordered 2 new Rize bikes. I ordered the RX model with the 1000 watt mid drive engine. Last years bikes with the same engine were 48 volt 19 amp batteries, which are decent wattage and pretty good range. Rize is trying to sell more batteries this year and I'm trying to decide whether I need a second battery. We do live in a hilly area however most of the miles will be put on will be on flater ground.....so question....if you were using lots of peddle assist....what might one expect for mileage?
I have that bike and extra batteries, without exaggeration I think you could count on about 40 miles, I do bring a spare or two if I'm really on a long ride. Best is to do baby-steps in-town going farther and farther to really know your range. Typically I use about one and a half batteries in a full day for me eg more than one...

I have the 2020 RX with the 19.2ah 48V battery. I regularly ride 40+ miles on my bike in very hilly suburban Philadelphia area. I weigh 230 and typically return from these long rides with about 20% or more battery. This past Tuesday I rode 43 miles and had 26% battery remaining. Temperature was upper 80's, but I've cracked 40 mile rides in 40 degree weather, too, and had range to spare. These are non-stop 2 hour and 20 minute rides. I'm quite pleased with the battery range on the 2020 set up and see no reason to upgrade for greater range or power....Currently rolling up on 1,400 miles since October 2020 delivery. I love this bike.

Virtually all this riding is in Eco PAS 1. I don't go above that.

I didn't know Rized had 52V 15Ah, but..
Assuming you're on the same power setting (watt rating), you will get less mileage.

52V x 15Ah = 780Wh
48V x 19.2Ah = 921.6Wh

780Wh ÷ 921.6Wh = 84.63%

So by switching to 52V 15Ah battery, you will get 84.63% of what you get with 48V 19.2Ah battery.
Or you will lose 15.37%, whichever you wanna call it.
780Wh is underwhelming in 2021...

780Wh is underwhelming in 2021...
As far as technology is concerned, I'd have to agree. As far as a practical city bike running 500w or so, I'd have to disagree. My butt can only handle about 20 miles. Why in the world would I want to carry around the weight requred to go 3-4 times that far? Talk to me when the 21-25ah batteries are the same weight as a 13-15ah battery. They'll make much more sense at that point.

Point being, from a practical standpoint, not all of us need anything bigger than what that RAD battery is capable of.

Your problem is your butt! :) said with humor and a little truth from my perspective. I won’t go out if I can’t get 50 miles in,I am a little younger in the 60s. Maybe that is part of it ,i get sore I take break , happy I can endure for what ever reason.

I get 40+ miles on another brand while carrying 2 spares , 52 volts 17 amps while keeping near 24 but 28mph or less, controller is set for 2300 watts so it can go much faster. I don’t think I can do 3x40+ miles so it is usually enough. Very little throttle use and power level varies but speed doesn’t

one thing I have learned while doing longer rides, consistent speed helps more then the actual speed stay at say s4 is better than 15-20-15-20 etc. and not just stay at speed but constant power draw… so slowing a little for hills and “cheat ” a little down hills is good , just consistent

Your problem is your butt! :) said with humor and a little truth from my perspective. I won’t go out if I can’t get 50 miles in,I am a little younger in the 60s. Maybe that is part of it ,i get sore I take break , happy I can endure for what ever reason.

I get 40+ miles on another brand while carrying 2 spares , 52 volts 17 amps while keeping near 24 but 28mph or less, controller is set for 2300 watts so it can go much faster. I don’t think I can do 3x40+ miles so it is usually enough. Very little throttle use and power level varies but speed doesn’t

one thing I have learned while doing longer rides, consistent speed helps more then the actual speed stay at say s4 is better than 15-20-15-20 etc. and not just stay at speed but constant power draw… so slowing a little for hills and “cheat ” a little down hills is good , just consistent
Poor "butt" range criticism taken with a big grin, not taken personally at all. I have no big ego issues at my age and size. Have gotten to the point I just don't care what other people think, and I try to stay right up front with that! Clearly though, we are at different fitness and very likely weight levels. I ride every day pretty much, year round. We're snowbirds with places in SE Mi and Fl to allow for that. For me it's about "use it or loose it". So I get out and ride at least 4 miles, up to 7 or maybe 10 miles daily. Those are rides I can do right from the house at either end (Fl or Mi). To avoid too much boredom on those daily rides, we often trailer the bikes to one of the many local trails available on either end for an extended (20 mile) ride. Michigan and Florida both have some REALLY nice trails to pick from. Nice enough where I'm glad to be retired so I can avoid them on the weekends....

My point above was regarding the needs of an average rider, if there is such a thing. I don't need a lot of range, and you need all you can get. We're the extremes, with most others falling somewhere between us. Range anxiety is common among new bike shoppers and riders. I don't think it's necessary for most of us, but I'm glad to see the dual battery setups becoming more and more common. That said, IMHO, the Rize stock battery size is going to be fine for the majority of folks shopping for bikes in that price range. -Al

Last edited:
Best part it was taken as meant! I have started putting in the line something like my opinion (pointing out not trying to say it is a fact), and for my current style of riding (stating I know I am being selfish) but this is all I know…you may ignore me if you like

not you Al you have listen to my opinions! ✌️ I have lost about 40-45 lbs since retirement , both because I am scarred for my health and I just want to.

live in Ga, ride 95% year round here, just a couple too cool days

Last edited:
Back