Battery Prices

Mango1234

Region
USA
Last year Ride1Up posted this on their blog:

Battery Prices

Battery Prices are Going Up, Temporarily
Due to a shortage (and increased cost) of high-capacity 18650 cells, we are temporarily increasing replacement battery prices +$100 for the rest of 2021. We highly suggest waiting until 2022 to purchase extra or replacement batteries. We will once again lower our prices on replacement batteries as soon as the shortage passes. We are forced to increase our prices, because Samsung, LG, and Panasonic have increased the cell price over 160%.
Wait if You Can
Repeat: We will lower the battery prices again when global availability and prices return to normal. It would benefit us, and you to wait on ordering extra or replacement batteries for your 500 and 700 series electric bikes.

WE DO NOT WANT TO BE INCREASING PRICES ON BATTERIES. THIS WILL BE TEMPORARY.

Anyone know when the prices are coming down?
Specifically the 500 battery

21700 batteries are now better priced than 18650. Sadly the lockdowns will not end until May. And maybe longer. Extended the third time since late March.

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of Jenny, but I am reluctant to send a lot of money overseas. I don't think I've seen any prices published here.

"The lockdowns shall be lifted at the end of April."
FFS you’re an expert in China’s covid response? The lockdown has been extended three times. Only you would try and second guess the unpredictable.

Folks, may I suggest we keep the snarkiness to 2 replies each, then move on? I just joined the forum!

Thanks for the replies. I'm aware of Jenny, but I am reluctant to send a lot of money overseas. I don't think I've seen any prices published here.
Don’t be silly. There are vetted trustworthy sources. And Shanghai Aijiu Energy Tech has proven to be reliable and professional. Sadly the lockdown will slow orders. I’d not order until the Shanghai lockdown is over. Single pack orders will be slow. But the quality leaves those cheap Amazon sellers in the dust. BTW there’s no advantage to buying from Amazon. They don’t have batteries with Prime and offer no buyer protection. The best we can do is learn and share which battery pack builders can be trusted. I have a Jenny Mao battery and my former shop where I did customer support for 6 years sold out their 20-40 batteries in weeks and they’ve been solid performers with honest rating.

Yeah me too, I just tire of the misinformed posts. I should just ignore but poor n00bs fall for the blather. But you’re right. Back to ignore. Hopefully someone will call out the BS.

In a perfect world, we all sing kumbaya. Do we have to all agree and are disagreements cause for not liking any of each other's posts?
You stoners absolutely trash threads with blather.
I respect Mikes for his stances on Ukraine and just being Polish. We will never agree on eBikes, but I stay out of Specialized threads.
I unblocked to get some laughs, thanks, now back to your cage.

Anyone know when the prices are coming down?
Specifically the 500 battery
They've come down some. The 700 battery is $80 less than April 2021. It's $459 now, $539 after the price increase, $389 before the price increase. This is for the 700's using the 18650 cells. The new 700's are using the batteries with that 21700 cells and are $30 more expensive. This might be as good as it gets with the runaway inflation we have had over the last year or two.

Prices after the price increase a year ago:

1650123493286.png

Although it used to be even less than it is now shortly before that price increase about a year ago:

1650123474913.png

Last edited:
I got the 17.5 Ah battery for the 500 bike today
Ride1Up17ah.jpg

It is dated 2022-09-21 so maybe that is why it is on sale. That is almost 13 months. The battery that came with the bike was dated 5 1/2 month before I got it.
Ride1Ups website says the 17.5 Ah battery is larger than the original 13Ah, they look very similar to me. The new battery weighs more than the original by 9.5 oz.
It came charged to 52V. I charged it to full, then took a fast 30 mile ride, down to 45V, one LED, about 25%. I might get 20 miles out of the original battery in similar conditions.

Back