Battery Pack Range?

Are you pleased with your battery pack performance?

• Total voters

J.R.

Region
USA
City
Piedmont Highlands
Riding with a buddy the other day we got talking about our bikes and battery packs. I own a bunch of packs at a variety of ages. I'm constantly amazed by the performance of the packs. When I started ebiking the biggest worries were how far I could ride and how long the packs would last.

My oldest pack is 36 volt, 16 amp hour. Purchased in 2014, has greater than 14k miles on it. I don't ride that bike much these days, so it doesn't get many charge cycles. I can still get a 20 to 30 mile ride with it on paved roads and rolling hills at ~16 to 20 mph. I regularly get 50 to 60+ miles on a 36V, 12 Ah that's 3 years old. A very typical ride is 30 miles on flattish gravel with 45 to 50% left in the tank. Speeds are max 20, but average about 14 mph, 1200 feet elevation gains. My Garmin has very good stats for most of my rides over 5 or 6 years. I can kill a battery pretty quick when I go hill climbing around here, as I live on an 9 to 18% grade hill. It sure is fun going downhill though.

Are you pleased with your battery performance? I was mostly thinking about the older packs I own, but would love to hear the good and bad about your new stuff as well. Are you getting the range you want?

I have two e-bikes and am very pleased with the range on both (Aventon Pace 500 and RadMission). I have a pretty easy ride to and from work with small little hill on way home that uses a little battery. It's also along the river valley so generally one of the trips will be into a pretty decent wind which affects the battery some. I can usually make it most of the week on a single battery (31 miles) which is great or will charge once mid-week if I've run other errands on the e-bike or used extra throttle after a day of work. Both bikes are about a year old so glad to hear your older batteries are still doing well.
1660848753214.png

I have two e-bikes and am very pleased with the range on both (Aventon Pace 500 and RadMission). I have a pretty easy ride to and from work with small little hill on way home that uses a little battery. It's also along the river valley so generally one of the trips will be into a pretty decent wind which affects the battery some. I can usually make it most of the week on a single battery (31 miles) which is great or will charge once mid-week if I've run other errands on the e-bike or used extra throttle after a day of work. Both bikes are about a year old so glad to hear your older batteries are still doing well. View attachment 132483
You're living the dream! Nice commute, a choice of bikes and you're not saddled with range anxiety. I did commute for a long time 17 miles one way. I had to charge everyday. Would've been great to charge just a couple times a week.

I cast the "No" vote. Not because I'm displeased with the performance of any of my batteries! My point is there is no main battery on my e-bikes that would be sufficient for my long rides. Using up to three batteries for my full-power Vado (over 1600 Wh in somewhat degraded batteries), or the main battery and up to three Range Extenders for my Vado SL (total nominal charge slightly less than 800 Wh).

If a single battery allowing me an Imperial Century ride were developed than I would say "I'm happy with my battery performance".

I cast the "No" vote. Not because I'm displeased with the performance of any of my batteries! My point is there is no main battery on my e-bikes that would be sufficient for my long rides. Using up to three batteries for my full-power Vado (over 1600 Wh in somewhat degraded batteries), or the main battery and up to three Range Extenders for my Vado SL (total nominal charge slightly less than 800 Wh).

If a single battery allowing me an Imperial Century ride were developed than I would say "I'm happy with my battery performance".
I can agree with that scenario. I am pleased, but wouldn't mind more. Any planned ride of 50+ miles I take a spare just in case. One bike I have 3 packs. Rides over 65 miles, my human battery starts to degrade exponentially. Packs are a PITA to haul along. That said, I don't want a bike with one of those massive, heavy 20+ amp hour packs. I can only hope for more energy dense cells, lighter than we have now. I need to ride fast and far to keep ahead of the grim reaper😉

A couple of weeks ago I did 70 miles on my Stance with a 500wh battery. Had 20% left. Those were very good circumstances though.
I'd say I could expect a similar distance on average if I'm frugal on the assist level.
Would like to get the 800wh option though.

I am averaging between 80 to 120 miles, per charge with my Wart Hogs dual battery's,
48v that are the 21700 types (39 total).
I use Shanks Mare power for 95% of the power, and only use the battery power when needed etc.
I wish, I had more reserve, as several places are 70 miles, one way out.
Looking real hard for a good extra boost.
Tia,
Don

We all need/want more electrons. I carry 1,125 watts on my daily rider because I like to ride hard and fast. In Turbo mode I can get 55-60 miles. In Eco mode I can get 300+ but I never ride in Eco unless absolutely necessary to limp home.

We all need/want more electrons. I carry 1,125 watts on my daily rider because I like to ride hard and fast. In Turbo mode I can get 55-60 miles. In Eco mode I can get 300+ but I never ride in Eco unless absolutely necessary to limp home.
Wow! No wonder they call you Sparky. That's some serious range.

Shouldn't there be a qualifier if you like your battery range while pedaling, and secondly do you like your battery range on throttle only? I'm happy with all 6 packs I have while pedaling.
You certainly can qualify it. My curiosity stems from that conversation with a friend, who also has both old and newer packs. From our experience the packs are far more durable, with longer service life than we had anticipated when we got into ebiking many years ago. Batteries are one of the biggest concern for most due to their cost.

You certainly can qualify it. My curiosity stems from that conversation with a friend, who also has both old and newer packs. From our experience the packs are far more durable, with longer service life than we had anticipated when we got into ebiking many years ago. Batteries are one of the biggest concern for most due to their cost.
Did you write about 21700 packs? Edit... maybe it was @JRA
I’m amazed by my 36V 20Ah shrink wrap pack. I’m getting amazingly higher mileage. I’m not understanding exactly how that is but I liked it so much I ordered another 21700 pack I’m thinking its 24Ah. Old brain, lost the invoice but it lands Monday. A nice new second Satiator all programmed and ready to mount on the build.

Did you write about 21700 packs? Edit... maybe it was @JRA
I’m amazed by my 36V 20Ah shrink wrap pack. I’m getting amazingly higher mileage. I’m not understanding exactly how that is but I liked it so much I ordered another 21700 pack I’m thinking its 24Ah. Old brain, lost the invoice but it lands Monday. A nice new second Satiator all programmed and ready to mount on the build.
I've yet to own a 21700, but your comments are encouraging.

I can agree with that scenario. I am pleased, but wouldn't mind more. Any planned ride of 50+ miles I take a spare just in case. One bike I have 3 packs. Rides over 65 miles, my human battery starts to degrade exponentially. Packs are a PITA to haul along. That said, I don't want a bike with one of those massive, heavy 20+ amp hour packs. I can only hope for more energy dense cells, lighter than we have now. I need to ride fast and far to keep ahead of the grim reaper😉
+1
After about 60-80 miles, my human battery also has that rapid decline (and my bum has enough time in the saddle too!).

For my Ride1UP Roadster v2, it has a 250wh internal battery, and I've had to expend a lot of human power (motor fully off) to get 50+ mile rides. And now that I've added the extender 250 wh bottle battery (for 500wh total), same human effort needed to get up to 80+ miles. All with lowest assist and/or off.

That said, I think that's as much time I want to spend in the saddle anyway, and after more than 6 hours I'm wiped out anyway. On second thought, a more energy dense battery would allow me to use higher assist and go faster ;)

FWIW, I don't have the experience yet, as most of you Guys do,
But I am impressed with the 21700 battery packs on my Wart Hog MD 750 bike.
I just wish that I could find 1-2 battery packs with 21700 cells, that I can find for the WH.
IMHO, $700-$1000 for a battery pack is a rip off.
That is why I am hunting for a second option.
I have thought about the extra battery packs, but both my battery's are recessed into the frame, and I haven't found a safe/reliable option to use yet.
YMMV,
Don

+1
After about 60-80 miles, my human battery also has that rapid decline (and my bum has enough time in the saddle too!).

For my Ride1UP Roadster v2, it has a 250wh internal battery, and I've had to expend a lot of human power (motor fully off) to get 50+ mile rides. And now that I've added the extender 250 wh bottle battery (for 500wh total), same human effort needed to get up to 80+ miles. All with lowest assist and/or off.

That said, I think that's as much time I want to spend in the saddle anyway, and after more than 6 hours I'm wiped out anyway. On second thought, a more energy dense battery would allow me to use higher assist and go faster ;)
So true! I don't get pleasure from pain🤣

I often will do an all day ride, so to speak, but it's usually a destination ride. It often includes some exploration and a lunch or something. Spending time with friends I often ride slower. I might spend a day on the Great Allegheny Passage trail and only cover 65 miles.

FWIW, I don't have the experience yet, as most of you Guys do,
But I am impressed with the 21700 battery packs on my Wart Hog MD 750 bike.
I just wish that I could find 1-2 battery packs with 21700 cells, that I can find for the WH.
IMHO, $700-$1000 for a battery pack is a rip off.
That is why I am hunting for a second option.
I have thought about the extra battery packs, but both my battery's are recessed into the frame, and I haven't found a safe/reliable option to use yet.
YMMV,
Don
Most of us have had that sticker shock. Best of luck!

Back