Battery extender (new, legit) on eBay at a discount

PassoGavia

Region
USA
City
Roswell, Georgia
I don't know what the forum rules are on direct merchant links, but I've bought two Specialized battery extenders on eBay for ~$400 each delivered (US). I bought the first one to make sure it was legit. The guy has sold over 20 and as I write this has two left. The price before tax is $384.99

The regular price is US$450 now. There was a time this year the Range Extenders were heavily discounted in the U.S. Your man must have bought a number of those and now is making profit.

What exactly is a "battery extender" and what are the physics behind its function? Sounds a bit fishy to me but Ill keep an open mind until I hear details. Also kind of hard to believe that someone would spend over $400 just to make sure a product is "legit" but hey! He'd have to have way more money to burn than I do!

I don't know what the forum rules are on direct merchant links, but I've bought two Specialized battery extenders on eBay for ~$400 each delivered (US). I bought the first one to make sure it was legit. The guy has sold over 20 and as I write this has two left. The price before tax is $384.99
See, to me a "battery extendor" is a new, larger capacity battery OR a 2nd, back up battery. Cant think of any currently known technology that would allow more amp hours to be sucked from a battery than the battery can hold. But maybe Im behind the times??

What exactly is a "battery extender" and what are the physics behind its function?
It is a 160 Wh 48 V Specialized external battery in the format of a water-bottle used on Specialized SL e-bikes, and connected to the e-bike by a matching cable.

I happen to own four of these.

I don't know what the forum rules are on direct merchant links, but I've bought two Specialized battery extenders on eBay for ~$400 each delivered (US). I bought the first one to make sure it was legit. The guy has sold over 20 and as I write this has two left. The price before tax is $384
The regular price is US$450 now. There was a time this year the Range Extenders were heavily discounted in the U.S. Your man must have bought a number of those and now is making profit.
I went to Ebay & looked up the term that you used; ebike "ŕange extender", instead of "battery extender". Found what appears to be a mini-gas generator. Is that what the OP is talking about? Are there conditions under which using such an "extender" would be reasable for an ebiker? Since its advertised as an Ebike range "extender" I must assume that it would need to be carried around by an ebiker as he rides. How else would such a device be used to "extend" the "range" of an ebike? Despite its small size relative to other gas generators, the "range extender"(and its fuel) seems like quite a heavy, bulky item to lug around on an ebike. Perhaps one would be useful on wilderness bike/campimg trips? Even then, I guess I cant see the advantages. Id think a folding solar panel charger arrangement would be more compact to carry, much lighter weight, and much, much easier to find fuel for! But please do fill me in on these mini-generators if Ive got them all wrong. I like the idea. I.just dont see it as very practicle. Thanks!!

I don't know what the forum rules are on direct merchant links, but I've bought two Specialized battery extenders on eBay for ~$400 each delivered (US). I bought the first one to make sure it was legit. The guy has sold over 20 and as I write this has two left. The price before tax is $384
I went to Ebay & looked up the term that you used; ebike "ŕange extender", instead of "battery extender". Found what appears to be a mini-gas generator. Is that what the OP is talking about? Are there conditions under which using such an "extender" would be reasable for an ebiker? Since its advertised as an Ebike range "extender" I must assume that it would need to be carried around by an ebiker as he rides. How else would such a device be used to "extend" the "range" of an ebike? Despite its small size relative to other gas generators, the "range extender"(and its fuel) seems like quite a heavy, bulky item to lug around on an ebike. Perhaps one would be useful on wilderness bike/campimg trips? Even then, I guess I cant see the advantages. Id think a folding solar panel charger arrangement would be more compact to carry, much lighter weight, and much, much easier to find fuel for! But please do fill me in on these mini-generators if Ive got them all wrong. I like the idea. I.just dont see it as very practicle. Thanks
It is a 160 Wh 48 V Specialized external battery in the format of a water-bottle used on Specialized SL e-bikes, and connected to the e-bike by a matching cable.

Sorry. Was henpecking out my reply and didnt see yours till after I sent mine.

48v 160wh battery works out to be a 3.33ah battery pack. $400 seems like a lot to pay for an extra 3.33ah. But thats what proprietary products are all about, I suppose. I could connect any old battery of the appropriate voltage to my old, DIY ebike. Just install the right connection leads onto the battery wires(or get an adaptor). Cant do that with my new Ebike where its battery sits in the frame and uses blade connectors.

So basically a "range extender" is an extra or back up battery for a specific brand of Ebike?
Yes, it is an addition (or even a replacement should such a need arise) to the main battery (stored inside the e-bike frame), not only for a specific brand but to a specific motor/electronic system of that brand. Other motor systems can have their specific Range Extenders too but REs from different brands are not compatible with one another.

The SL e-bikes are very economical and allow long range, so 50% more range is really useful.

48v 160wh battery works out to be a 3.33ah battery pack. $400 seems like a lot to pay for an extra 3.33ah. But thats what proprietary products are all about, I suppose. I could connect any old battery of the appropriate voltage to my old, DIY ebike. Just install the right connection leads onto the battery wires(or get an adaptor). Cant do that with my new Ebike where its battery sits in the frame and uses blade connectors

Yes, it is an addition (or even a replacement should such a need arise) to the main battery (stored inside the e-bike frame), not only for a specific brand but to a specific motor/electronic system of that brand. Other motor systems can have their specific Range Extenders too but REs from different brands are not compatible with one another.
Ahhh! I see. And the specificity you describe(and I wont pretend to understand) probably helps explain the price!

The SL e-bikes are very economical and allow long range, so 50% more range is really useful.
Thanks for taking time to reply and explain things!

While shopping for a new Ebike, range was probably my top priority. Hill climbing torque a close second. A reasonable travel speed came im 3rd or 4th. So I ended up buying from one of the only two manufacturers that I found that sold ebikes with 60ah batteries. Im guessing that your Ebike gets good range due as much to efficiency of design as to how many ah in its battery whereas my bike relies pretty much purely on a mega ah battery for its range.

While shopping for a new Ebike, range was probably my top priority. Hill climbing torque a close second. A reasonable travel speed came im 3rd or 4th. So I ended up buying from one of the only two manufacturers that I found that sold ebikes with 60ah batteries. Im guessing that your Ebike gets good range due as much to efficiency of design as to how many ah in its battery whereas my bike relies pretty much purely on a mega ah battery for its range.
Different ebikes can use different voltages (36V, 48V, maybe others), so you want to focus on Watt-hour capacity not amp-hour as measure of stored energy.

The SL Range Extender is a battery which sits in a bottle cage and provides additional battery capacity for the SL series bikes since the main battery is built in and not easily removable as can be done with other models (where you'd potentially carry a second main battery). Another aspect is the SL has a lower watt-hour capacity main battery, which makes the bike lighter for the travels which don't need more capacity, but you can carry Range Extenders when you do need more capacity. Here's the product link: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s...733?color=273576-173733&searchText=98920-5640

I'd suggest you also consider bike weight as a factor - especially if you will be carrying your bike on a car rack or carrying it up staircases on a regular basis. A 33lb ebike is a lot easier to carry up staircases than a 77lb ebike.

My reasoning to buy two extenders is simple - I need them for my trip to Italy next year. I'll have to remove the main battery in my Creo (320 WH, not allowed to check a battery that large), and instead carry on two 160 WH batteries (the maximum number and capacity Delta allows). The two smaller batteries, totaling 320 WH, will enable me to have the daily range I need (40-60 miles).

I will certainly also use an extender at home for the (now rare for me) over 60 mile ride.

Any discussion of range needs to include a lot of environmental and technical specifics (rider weight, bike weight, terrain, average cadence, riding style - spinner or stomper?, bike power level, motor cutoff speed, temperature, average speed, solo or in a group...). Hysterically, Specialized claims both that its 160 WH extender "provides up to 40 additional miles" and "delivers up to one additional hour of riding".

While shopping for a new Ebike, range was probably my top priority. Hill climbing torque a close second. A reasonable travel speed came im 3rd or 4th. So I ended up buying from one of the only two manufacturers that I found that sold ebikes with 60ah batteries. Im guessing that your Ebike gets good range due as much to efficiency of design as to how many ah in its battery whereas my bike relies pretty much purely on a mega ah battery for its range
Different ebikes can use different voltages (36V, 48V, maybe others), so you want to focus on Watt-hour capacity not amp-hour as measure of stored energy.

The SL Range Extender is a battery which sits in a bottle cage and provides additional battery capacity for the SL series bikes since the main battery is built in and not easily removable as can be done with other models (where you'd potentially carry a second main battery). Another aspect is the SL has a lower watt-hour capacity main battery, which makes the bike lighter for the travels which don't need more capacity, but you can carry Range Extenders when you do need more capacity. Here's the product link: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s...733?color=273576-173733&searchText=98920-5640

I'd suggest you also consider bike weight as a factor - especially if you will be carrying your bike on a car rack or carrying it up staircases on a regular basis. A 33lb ebike is a lot easier to carry up staircases than a 77lb ebike.
You guys replying to me in this thread sound like true "cyclists". Im not lol! What I wanted while shopping for an Ebike was more of an electric moped. I wanted something with a very solid base, almost preferably a bit heavy, so I could mount baskets front and rear- a rear basket big and strong enough to safely carry my 25lb dog-a seat with a backrest a water bottle holder, etc., etc., AND have battery enough to get me all over town, all day carrying a wide variety of items, up & down hills to include groceries and previously mentioned dog. I mention hills because we've got lots of them in the backwoods of Northern Maine. So anyway, this is the Ebike I went with...

Attachments

• 20231006_150842.jpg
    20231006_150842.jpg
    652.8 KB · Views: 95

PS: The brown wall tire on front was an experiment to see if I could tolerate brown walled tires. I cant. Not on that Ebike anyway. Ill be switching to white wall on the front ASAP.

So I ended up buying from one of the only two manufacturers that I found that sold ebikes with 60ah batteries
You seem to use a lot of power on your rides :) Like in #itridesitselfebike? FYI, the Specialized 320 Wh main battery is just 6.66 Wh but you would easily ride for 40 miles, were you pedalling an SL e-bike :)

You seem to use a lot of power on your rides :) Like in #itridesitselfebike? FYI, the Specialized 320 Wh main battery is just 6.66 Wh but you would easily ride for 40 miles, were you pedalling an SL e-bike :)
Not sure if you were asking me if I peddalled or stating that you did but, in general, I peddle up steeper hills, just to give my motor some assist. Otherwise, on flats and, of course downhills, I dont peddal much at all. Which is vastly different from my previous ebike that I made from a 36v 300watt rear wheel kit and traditional mountain bike. I frequently did pedal assist on that. Really didnt have a choice. Im VERY happy with my new EMoped though. Its become my primary mode of transportation. I havent started up my jeep since i got the bike 7 days ago. Ive even made a solar charging station for it.

Back