Battery covers / insulation for colder weather

DiggyGun

Region
United Kingdom
City
Buckinghamshire
Now that the chillier weather is here and knowing that batteries don’t like the colder weather.

Does anyone know where you can get a neoprene insulated battery cover for the Nevo3 down tube.

Now that the chillier weather is here and knowing that batteries don’t like the colder weather.

Does anyone know where you can get a neoprene insulated battery cover for the Nevo3 down tube.
Fahrer-Berlin makes good neoprene battery covers:

In practical terms, I stopped using battery covers. As long as you store your e-bike in heated space, riding an e-bike generates heat inside the battery, making it never really cold. I even rode my Vado and Trance E+ during -6 to -8C frost without battery cover and the battery temperature was well above 0 C! More: I even had a short ride at -14 C without really freezing the battery. (Note: My Specialized e-bikes let me measure the temperature of the battery during the ride).

Of course, there is nothing wrong with insulating the battery but that only makes sense if you were about to keep your e-bike outside for, say, one hour and only during severe frost.

Fahrer-Berlin makes good neoprene battery covers:

In practical terms, I stopped using battery covers. As long as you store your e-bike in heated space, riding an e-bike generates heat inside the battery, making it never really cold. I even rode my Vado and Trance E+ during -6 to -8C frost without battery cover and the battery temperature was well above 0 C! More: I even had a short ride at -14 C without really freezing the battery. (Note: My Specialized e-bikes let me measure the temperature of the battery during the ride).

Of course, there is nothing wrong with insulating the battery but that only makes sense if you were about to keep your e-bike outside for, say, one hour and only during severe frost.
I'm curious about this and would love to not buy a thermal wrap for $20 if I don't have to. My ride is only about 17 minutes long. I can store my battery in my house at home and store my bike inside my office when I get there too so the battery is in the elements for less than 40 minutes total round trip. Do you think it's worth the investment in a thermal wrap for performance or just leave it be and keep battery inside at normal temps the rest of the day?

I'm curious about this and would love to not buy a thermal wrap for $20 if I don't have to. My ride is only about 17 minutes long. I can store my battery in my house at home and store my bike inside my office when I get there too so the battery is in the elements for less than 40 minutes total round trip. Do you think it's worth the investment in a thermal wrap for performance or just leave it be and keep battery inside at normal temps the rest of the day?
To be very honest, I stopped using the thermal wraps a long time ago. I had a 2 x 30 km ride at -9C and was monitoring the battery temperature. It was always above 0 C.

I used a neoprene cover too on my old bike because it was recommended. It rains on average 250 days a year where I live and although our winters can get cold and miserable it rarely dips below -10 Celsius. I honestly cannot say I noticed any difference with the cover on, and I suppose it was more of a precaution. How is one to know anyway if the battery lasts longer or shorter than expected? And in what way will a neoprene cover make a difference to a chilling rain and cold wind?

Back