Battery contacts and water spill

But are you sure that they are using it on connection points?
Yes, and I've used it since 2007. I saw it used in the mechanics' shop of Minuteman Aviation Missoula airport FBO. It's especially useful on the battery to battery base connectors. Many charge their battery on the bike and seldom check the connection. There are lots of reports and we've seen a lot of corrosion with the Hailong cases and the connection slots.

From what I've seen of the older Hailong cases they had poor quality connectors and the damage was from vibration and arcing.
But I will concede that you are much more experienced & knowledgeable on that 😘
That said I personally would use a thicker dielectric grease around the connection point and leave the copper connection points clean... But I'm a stubborn arss 🙃

Hailong cases they had poor quality connectors and the damage was from vibration and arcing.
Actually the connectors are fine IF maintained. Unfortunately by the time we all realized there was a problem many had serious issues. I was lucky enough to be anal-retentive and checked my connections and keep them protected with ACF50.

See this thread.

Great conversation gents. Two guys with differing opinions, guided by a wealth of personal experience, discussing their different takes as gentlemen. Kudos to you both.

Both of you are offering convincing rationales for how best to protect the continuity and quality of ebike connections. As a seasoned mariner who lives in Boeing country, I have used Boeshield for decades. I am not going to chime in or put my thumb on this one either side. Thanks for some enlightening give and take.

We have washed our Superdelite and Delite bikes. When removing the batteries we have noticed that water entered the Superdelite's batteries "compartments", and also some water drops were found close to the battery plug in the Delite.
How is that water can easily reach these areas? Does it mean it is not recommended to use Ebikes when raining? Or?
My super delight spend most of the last 4 days with batteries removed outside on the bike rack in steady rain. We were traveling and there just wasn't an optionI for indoor or covered storage. I was worried and so went out to watch, and oddly, no water accumulated in the upper battery bay. If you look at it, the electrical connections are at the top of the upper bay so they stay relatively out of the wet and as it turns out the water that did get into the bay drains out pretty successfully from a small hole at the back of the battery bay the empties into the seat post tube and then out just above the rear shock. So, long story, I am much less worried about the bike being out in the wet than ai was. I should note that after a hard rain one night we loaded the bikes up, reinstalled the batteries and had a nice uneventful ride. I am pretty sure the Bosch motor is well sealed and the only concern I have is the possibility of some connector corrosion some time down the line. All in all I am a lot more comfortable transporting and using the bike in wet circumstances.

My super delight spend most of the last 4 days with batteries removed outside on the bike rack in steady rain. We were traveling and there just wasn't an optionI for indoor or covered storage. I was worried and so went out to watch, and oddly, no water accumulated in the upper battery bay. If you look at it, the electrical connections are at the top of the upper bay so they stay relatively out of the wet and as it turns out the water that did get into the bay drains out pretty successfully from a small hole at the back of the battery bay the empties into the seat post tube and then out just above the rear shock. So, long story, I am much less worried about the bike being out in the wet than ai was. I should note that after a hard rain one night we loaded the bikes up, reinstalled the batteries and had a nice uneventful ride. I am pretty sure the Bosch motor is well sealed and the only concern I have is the possibility of some connector corrosion some time down the line. All in all I am a lot more comfortable transporting and using the bike in wet circumstances.

I've had good luck cleaning contacts with no ill effects with WD40 Contact Cleaner
Repaired several old phones and tablets with non functioning power and speaker buttons as well as scratchy headphone ports.

When i worked in aviation it was an approved product, I'm not actually sure how or what the engineers used it on but nothing gets put on in or around a passenger jet without multiple lines of testing data, analytics etc.
I forget the certification names now but if it didn't have those certs with every part or consumable it dint get used.
However mistakes are made as the contact cleaner they were using at one point was flammable.
A LAME was working on a bug smasher and using the contact cleaner but was unaware of an oxygen tank leaking in the plane.
A small spark where he was working and BOOM he was blown to the back of the aircraft and 1 other person blown off the steps entering the plane.
Plane fuselage had a hole in it where the rivets were blown out, plane written off.
After that all contact cleaner was non flammable.
Both people fine PPE saved major injury(a few minor things the LAME using the CC had no eyebrows afterwards) and i was there when the explosion happened as i was working an aviation storeman.

Yes... Many contact cleaners contain some level of alcohol.
They're usually well labeled and direct you not to use them on energized circuits or near sources of ignition

Back