Battery Compartment Concern

DanM

Nice place you have here.

I just bought my wife a Harley/Serial 1 step thru e-bike. It will be her daily commuter. I am concerned about the battery compartment on the bike when she takes out the battery for charging and security. The battery contacts, lock, wires, and other components are exposed when the battery is removed. It will be stored outside 99% of the time, so there is a good chance that rain and debris will get in there. Should I do something to cover or fill the compartment? Maybe stuff it with an old poncho?

1633345842166.png

Thanks for the advice!

Dan

You might want to check with the building she works in. Many have indoor or covered bike storage. I have worked in buildings that had a bike cage in a parking garage, one that offered individual bike lockers, and another small company that allowed bikes to be stored in a back room.

Invest in a neoprene battery compartment cover, it will help keep the compartment water resistant.
I have two of those and, while I really haven’t used them yet for wet weather, they have kept dust at bay when transporting our ebike’s on our car rack. Some folks here have said they also work well in cold weather to help keep their batteries warm and thus last longer. You can make your own if you have access to some neoprene.
F1797E7C-13FF-48C9-A06F-3DD0DA099476.jpeg

Congrats. Good looking bike. Too nice to use duct tape. Buy something nice to cover the hole.

Invest in a neoprene battery compartment cover, it will help keep the compartment water resistant.
That looks like a good option. My only concern is that the battery is curved and extends down to the motor area. Not sure how well that will work with this bike. I wish they would just make a plastic or rubber lid I can pop in there.
Congrats. Good looking bike. Too nice to use duct tape. Buy something nice to cover the hole.
Thanks. My wife is happy with it.

I definitely wouldn't recommend JUST stuffing a poncho in there... even a little rain will collect in the folds, defeating the purpose.

It it's going to be stored outside 99% of the time, and without the battery, I'd highly recommend considering something durable.

If just a little DIY is in your wheelhouse, I'd recommend getting some Kydex, and making a custom cover. Kydex is pretty easy to work with (can be heated up in a home oven or with a heat gun for molding), and a 12" by 24" sheet is generally about 20-25 bucks US.

It's fairly easy to work with, and would give you a durable, custom cover that will last a long time, and can be secured to the bike in a number of ways.

Here's guy making a frame guard for his bike with it...

You'll also finds tons of people making DIY knife sheaths and gun holsters with it on YouTube and elsewhere.

Back