Battery capacity

ChrisH

Hi

I have done nearly 3000km on my Orbea M20i, most of it in hills. Generally I use a normal road bike in the flat county. Overall I am satisfied with the battery life, but it may be getting less with time. The eBikeMotion app used to show battery capacity but the latest version doesn't show capacity (probably to stop users complaining) . Generally I only charge when above 20% and only to 80%. Recently I did follow eBikeMotion suggestion and flattened it to 0% nd recharged to 100% to calibrate the unit.

Is there any way to measure the current battery capacity?

Chris

Watch out for that 80% thing, as the system does a battery balance after it reaches 100% charge. You may get an error code and the system won't work properly if you don't (at least occasionally, from what I read in another thread) let it do a battery balance.

Hi

I have done nearly 3000km on my Orbea M20i, most of it in hills. Generally I use a normal road bike in the flat county. Overall I am satisfied with the battery life, but it may be getting less with time. The eBikeMotion app used to show battery capacity but the latest version doesn't show capacity (probably to stop users complaining) . Generally I only charge when above 20% and only to 80%. Recently I did follow eBikeMotion suggestion and flattened it to 0% nd recharged to 100% to calibrate the unit.

Is there any way to measure the current battery capacity?

Chris
So did you notice anything different after doing the complete exhaustion and complete charge?
I carefully avoid going below 20% for reasons of "people say". I've tried doing various types of charge to 100% and do that every so often, but never take the battery down to cutoff. Not sure my bike even goes to 0 % on the display before shutting off.

I occasionally check battery capacity using this discharge rig:

P1080656a.jpg

To measure total capacity, I add this hour meter to the circuit after charging the battery to 100%:
61s18W5u6SL._SL1001_.jpg

The discharge rig draws 1 amp. When the battery BMS shuts off the current, I multiply 1 amp times the hour reading on the meter to get the AH capacity.
I only do this once or twice per season though to avoid battery damage from repeated over discharge.

After 3 seasons of use (+/- 3000 miles) my main battery has lost 6% of it's original capacity.

I occasionally check battery capacity using this discharge rig:

View attachment 74555

To measure total capacity, I add this hour meter to the circuit after charging the battery to 100%:
View attachment 74556

The discharge rig draws 1 amp. When the battery BMS shuts off the current, I multiply 1 amp times the hour reading on the meter to get the AH capacity.
I only do this once or twice per season though to avoid battery damage from repeated over discharge.

After 3 seasons of use (+/- 3000 miles) my main battery has lost 6% of it's original capacity.
That's incredibly good.
6zfshdb, I forget your battery charging routine - you charge to 100% a lot of the time is that correct? And if you're not able to use the bike right away, you drain the battery down a bit using light bulbs.

That's incredibly good.
6zfshdb, I forget your battery charging routine - you charge to 100% a lot of the time is that correct? And if you're not able to use the bike right away, you drain the battery down a bit using light bulbs.
Yes, I store my batteries at at 40 to 70% and charge to 100% just before a ride. I rarely discharge below 20%. I discharge to 40 - 70% if the ride didn't do it for me.

I know the prevailing practice for max life is to only charge to 80% but I need the extra capacity for many of my rides. If it means replacing the battery a year or so sooner, so be it. Who knows, by then a lighter battery with more capacity may be available.

Back