balancing the pas with pedal tension

Markjaffe

Region
USA
I am new to owning an e bike and purchased a shengmilo mx01 from Guanzuo, China.
I had it assembled by a local bike store. It has 1000 W with a 48 V battery. Its foldable and has 14 gears. My question is that when I set the pas system beyond "2" I find that I am pedaling the bike quickly with no resistance from the pedals. I thought that if I increased the gear setting to higher I would experience a partial resistance in pedaling, however it doesnt seem to make much of a difference. I activated the throttle with a setting on p10 but that is unrelated to acheiving any tension on the pedals.

Can anyone share their thoughts on this?
Thank you,

Mark

You have to separate effort from pedaling speed.
With a 1000W power, on the flat, you have more power than you need, so you will end up pedaling with no effort.

What matters is your pedaling cadence relative to your speed. These bikes should be limited to 28mph, if you can reach 28mph with a reasonable pedaling cadence, then the gearing is good.
If you find yourself pedaling with no effort when doing that, you are using too high of a pedal assist level. Lower the assist level that lets you provide the effort you wish to make. You will most likely only use the higher pedal assist levels when going up hills.

last point is the progressivity of the various level, which means that the levels of assist are well distributed, so you don't find yourself, with not enough power in one level, and too much in the next.

The point is to offer you a choice of effort levels for every type of incline.

Last edited:
Realize that increasing the PAS level reduces the effort required to pedal. Decreasing the amount of assist = lowering the PAS level.

Add to that, the speed the bike is traveling at. Inexpensive bikes, almost all of them, are absolutely terrible at speeds under about 10mph. As soon as you start pedaling, the bike is going to want to accelerate to a speed something over 10mph. Not much you can do about it, other than to be constantly stopping and starting pedaling to stop/start the power to the motor.

You may be able to turn down the assist power overall, ie, for all levels. I did that on my wife's Aventon and she likes it much better; it was set so high stock that there was no exercise value at all.

How can I turn down the assist power? do you mean just bringing it down to pas 1?
No. I dont know about your bike but on my wifes Aventon there is a setting that affects all pas levels 1 through 5. The result of turning it down is the bike doesnt just take off to 10mph(for example), eliminating the need to pedal. It "softens" the assist across all pas levels. Im guessing your bike may have a similar adjustment.

I wrote to the chinese bike company , shengmilo, about changing the speed settings so that I get get both battery power and pedal resistance for settings above pas 1. When to go to pas 2 I can't pedal fast enough to "feel" it. Changing the gear settings doesn't really help much.

Here is what they wrote back.

We have received your message. If you need to control the speed, you can set the value of the parameter. You can set it to 25 or 30.

Anyone know what that means?

I wrote to the chinese bike company , shengmilo, about changing the speed settings so that I get get both battery power and pedal resistance for settings above pas 1. When to go to pas 2 I can't pedal fast enough to "feel" it. Changing the gear settings doesn't really help much.

We have received your message. If you need to control the speed, you can set the value of the parameter. You can set it to 25 or 30.

It means you're dealing with a Chinese Company with bad customer service. Ask them for step-by-step instructions and/or a manual on your controller. Or find out the model of your controller and search on line. Its probably a Bafang; if it is the info can be easily found. Heres a video that could help if you have this particular Controller for example:

What parameter or P setting do you adjust?

Every ebike is a bit different. Some don't even have any settings you can change.

In the above scenario, the bike was too fast in assist level 1, and most of the time there is little that you can do. as these levels weren't made to be changed. Some bikes, you can overall reduce the speed limit, or the controller current, but then you slow down everything.

I've owned several controllers that were too fast. Nothing to do but scrap them or get used to the speed.

Back