Bafang ultra Motor issue collecting dirt

Reece123

I recently purchased a bike with a bafang ultra motor after 3 months the motor seized and stopped working. After returning the motor to the bike shop they said the motor had got dirt in it was on the way to burning out and that I was responsible. All I’ve done is ride on bitumen bike paths. I’m I at fault here or is this a inherent issue with inadequate seals on this motor, looking at the pics I can’t see any seals, appreciate others views?

3F93931B-2830-4566-9E72-A63CD262748C.jpeg
9F65844D-D760-4560-B8B0-869124A85103.jpeg
6760CF1B-288F-49DE-8A94-3283F0CDC341.jpeg
9AB40E98-DC21-419C-BBA4-AB0BD9594887.jpeg
EFDBB1EE-0232-444F-8CC9-9DB35025D3C3.jpeg

@pushkar as a leader of bafang ultra bikes I’d be interested in your view please - please note this bike was not purchased in the USA, I am in Australia.

Awaiting an Ultra motored bike and will be looking at this critically before using much.....because I rarely ride on bitumen and more in dirt/mud this time of year. Thanks for the heads up and if I find any resolution I'll be back!

And actually Luna brand has way more knowledge of the workings of the Ultra as they worked with Bafang to get a magnesium case for it to make it a bit lighter among other features so I will give them a query via their forum.

Awaiting an Ultra motored bike and will be looking at this critically before using much.....because I rarely ride on bitumen and more in dirt/mud this time of year. Thanks for the heads up and if I find any resolution I'll be back!

And actually Luna brand has way more knowledge of the workings of the Ultra as they worked with Bafang to get a magnesium case for it to make it a bit lighter among other features so I will give them a query via their forum.
Thanks appreciate any feedback

Wowee....
That's certainly not very encouraging. Based on the pictures, there's no clear entry point where the dirt is coming from. Are there any better hints when viewed in person?

Wondering also why the shop is blaming you/the rider? Have they had other Ultras apart that did not have this issue? If not, that would hardly make them "experts" on the topic....

Wowee....
That's certainly not very encouraging. Based on the pictures, there's no clear entry point where the dirt is coming from. Are there any better hints when viewed in person?

Wondering also why the shop is blaming you/the rider? Have they had other Ultras apart that did not have this issue? If not, that would hardly make them "experts" on the topic....
Full disclosure the shop I purchased the bike from is https://volitionebike.com/ in Sydney. I would have to say they are the strangest business I’ve ever dealt with, they certainly don’t seem to care about me as a customer or my concerns, they just happy to take my 8k and say sorry buddy not our problem. I have asked them how they think the dirt entered the motor and await their response. I have already engaged a lawyer, I will also work through the NSW consumer protection to see what they can do. This is just going to hurt their business, makes no sense, no body wins in this situation, when they could have just stood up to the warranty and work through the issue to ensure what ever caused it reduce the chance of it happening again, you would think this would be of some concern to them, how this could happen in 3 months on a bike path, but that logical course of action seems beyond this retailer.

Hmm.. this is weird
1. Was this a brand new motor when you purchased the bike?
2. Did you check the cable housing area (where the cables and wires come out from the top)

The only other items I can think of are
1. One of the bolts holding together the motor is missing- and grime is getting in through that
2. This is very unlikely - one of the gears was not installed correctly during assembly - so some teeth may be grinding down.

Interesting for sure. Haven't seen anything like this

Hmm.. this is weird
1. Was this a brand new motor when you purchased the bike?
2. Did you check the cable housing area (where the cables and wires come out from the top)

The only other items I can think of are
1. One of the bolts holding together the motor is missing- and grime is getting in through that
2. This is very unlikely - one of the gears was not installed correctly during assembly - so some teeth may be grinding down.

Interesting for sure. Haven't seen anything like this
Thank you Pushkar for checking in
1. yes it was a brand new ultra motor
2. I believe the wires were coming in from the top internally running in

would riding through puddles cause this?
how is the motor usually sealed Eg does it have a rubber lining or use a gasket on the edge joins?
can I also ask please, if you were presented with this motor would you expect to cover it under warranty? if so would you clean it or replace it?

Full disclosure the shop I purchased the bike from is https://volitionebike.com/ in Sydney. I would have to say they are the strangest business I’ve ever dealt with, they certainly don’t seem to care about me as a customer or my concerns, they just happy to take my 8k and say sorry buddy not our problem. I have asked them how they think the dirt entered the motor and await their response. I have already engaged a lawyer, I will also work through the NSW consumer protection to see what they can do. This is just going to hurt their business, makes no sense, no body wins in this situation, when they could have just stood up to the warranty and work through the issue to ensure what ever caused it reduce the chance of it happening again, you would think this would be of some concern to them, how this could happen in 3 months on a bike path, but that logical course of action seems beyond this retailer.
Further encouragement for others to just do it yourself. Less frustrating for sure (most of the time).
Thank you Pushkar for checking in
1. yes it was a brand new ultra motor
2. I believe the wires were coming in from the top internally running in

would riding through puddles cause this?
how is the motor usually sealed Eg does it have a rubber lining or use a gasket on the edge joins?
can I also ask please, if you were presented with this motor would you expect to cover it under warranty? if so would you clean it or replace it?
There's a gasket between the case halves clearly visible in the 3rd picture...

1. The motor is IP65 rated and we have run ours though a lot. It has held up pretty well.
2. Motor has a gasket that's fairly great. We recommend using dielectric grease on all seams.

We have a 1 year warranty on our bikes, except hydra black. If the bike was less than a year old from date of purchase (actually date of shipping), we will swap the motor for you.

It looks to me like that motor had a flaw in one of the seals. If this was common with that motor, we would have heard a lot about it by now as these motors are widely used in nasty conditions.

@Jon A first of all thanks for your insight, invaluable to those of us just getting to know the Ultra I'm sure.

I did reach out to a gent across the pond that posts on EMTB name of Neeko DeVinci as I know he has had several M620 builds going for a few years and as well he lives in England and rides off road so you have to know he has put it through the muck, a bunch.

He did mention burning out the clutch @ 1000 miles after abuse at and above 1500W but due to the apparent UK Bafang parts supplier and ease of service was able to replace it cheaply himself with his own tools and know how and no factory authorized service course. He has a YouTube channel and I think has done some how to vids as well. Hopefully Luna will be able to supply parts also as they do mention that on there.

According to him he hasn't seen such happen before and as above there must have been something wrong with the seal that apparently is there somewhere although the pics don't show. Maybe as simple as it wasn't there to begin with and doubtful the OP took it off on purpose.

An unfortunate occurence for sure though and hopefully the OP can get satisfaction through the NSW consumer protection laws.

One thing Neeko did stress though was not just taking negative Ultra reviews and stressing out about them because as indicated by his experience even if there is an issue it is resolvable. Given the right access to parts, a few tools and a willing hand.

I used the gasket maker product yesterday to seal a battery wire from water incursion. The day before I attached a bottle top to a battery with it. It is good with plastic, rubber, and metal.
1638830770451.jpeg

I did reach out to a gent across the pond that posts on EMTB name of Neeko DeVinci as I know he has had several M620 builds going for a few years and as well he lives in England and rides off road so you have to know he has put it through the muck, a bunch.

I think Neeko probably knows infinitely more about these motors than I do, so I'd listen to him on stuff like this. They have lots of mud over there.... In the US the Ultra really dominates the market for Hunting Bikes (which doesn't exist in Europe). In general, those users are less likely to be "bike people" who may avoid poor conditions, meticulously clean their bikes and keep it in the living room of their studio appartments.... ;)

They're usually more rural and treat the bike more like their side-by-side or pickup truck--it lives outside, is used in whatever conditions and doesn't get cleaned very often.

• Haha
Reactions: JRA
Bikebillies!?! I like that! I may or may not resemble that remark.... ;) I guess that's why it doesn't bother me that my bike looks like something out of Mad Max to some people.... :D

Im sure it’s a good motor, when it worked it was great, from all indications it may just needs a clean out, the problem is, how did it happen, will it happen again, the shop just seems strangely unwilling to provide the back service and sort it out, I don’t want to get it back to find I’m in the same situation in another 3-4 months. This will take many months to sort out in the mean time ive moved on with other alternative transport arrangements I,m not waiting around for these people, I will be seeking damages and compensation for my troubles.

Hi thanks, where can you see the torn section of the gasket?
I reviewed the photos and have revised my assessment. What at first I saw as a tear in the bottom right of the third photo was instead a lifting of the gasket. The highest concentration of grit is at the output shaft it then disburses from there. That seal is not working. Let us know what you find there.

Back