Bafang Ultra Max Mid-Drive Options?

Scarecrow

I have been researching a fair amount. Decided mid-drive was the way I wanted to go - for several reasons, including torque, and ease of removing wheels in case of a flat. Then I discovered the latest Bafang iteration -- their Ultra Max, or Max Ultra, @ 1000w. I weigh about 250lbs, so I thought the extra power might do me well.

But I am having a hard time finding any offerings with this motor.
Biktrix has two.
Luna has maybe one that is way past any idea of a budget -- which I think might be about $4,000, tops.
Most of the others are still offering earlier Bafang motors -- like the BBSHD.

One confusion is what the true Motor Name is...
Ultra Max?
Max Ultra?
Ultr?
Max?
They all seem to be different sizes or configurations of the same thing -- or different years of release. Roshan did say he is now using only the very latest version, with metal gears.

Anyone hiding any sources out there?
The "Excess" from Germany is crazy-expensive, but damned good-looking: https://www.exess-bikes.de/
Don't laugh at me, but I see no Fenders or Racks for this one, anyway -- gotta have those.

It seems like any ebike I think I'm settled on gets immediately criticized for offering only cheap components. Or components that make no sense to many of you. I read a Review that is glowing (when I can find a Review) -- and the next Review touts all the shortcomings. So I do need help understanding where you've found the real "value" ebikes. As in, decent components at a fair price -- with a mid-drive motor. Thanks, one and all!

I am thinking I need a Fat eBike for the fun of going over grass, some trail riding, sand on the beach -- and maybe snow if I get playful enough. But definitely not hunting, or Survivor Competitions trekking through Godforsaken wastelands.

I have been researching a fair amount. Decided mid-drive was the way I wanted to go - for several reasons, including torque, and ease of removing wheels in case of a flat. Then I discovered the latest Bafang iteration -- their Ultra Max, or Max Ultra, @ 1000w. I weigh about 250lbs, so I thought the extra power might do me well.

Biktrix has two.
Luna has maybe one that is way past any idea of a budget -- which I think might be about $4,000, tops.

Ultra Max?
Max Ultra?
Ultr?
Max?
They all seem to be different sizes or configurations of the same thing -- or different years of release. Roshan did say he is now using only the very latest version, with metal gears.

The "Excess" from Germany is crazy-expensive, but damned good-looking: https://www.exess-bikes.de/
Don't laugh at me, but I see no Fenders or Racks for this one, anyway -- gotta have those.

It seems like any ebike I think I'm settled on gets immediately criticized for offering only cheap components. Or components that make no sense to many of you. I read a Review that is glowing (when I can find a Review) -- and the next Review touts all the shortcomings. So I do need help understanding where you've found the real "value" ebikes. As in, decent components at a fair price -- with a mid-drive motor. Thanks, one and all!

I am thinking I need a Fat eBike for the fun of going over grass, some trail riding, sand on the beach -- and maybe snow if I get playful enough. But definitely not hunting, or Survivor Competitions trekking through Godforsaken wastelands.
I was in similar state of confusion. Ultra is not the official name (I think) and seems to be more marketing than anything. Bafang refers to it as the g510.750/1000 (can be programmed as 750w or 1000w nominal)

That Excess bike looks fantastic, but they don't ship to the US/Canada (I tried several times to get them to ship one but they said no).

An alternative high-spec (and highly customizable) emtb with the Ultra motor can be bought from Frey Jinshua direct from China (via Alibaba https://m.alibaba.com/product/60668...&f=wholesaler&detailId=60668339406&redirect=1). Long thread on Endless-Sphere forum about it. Most recommend upgrading to the SRAM EX1 shifter/cassette/derailleur to handle the high torque of the motor. You can also ask for integrated lights and shift detection. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=91035 Probably the best value-for-money bike out there. Takes about 30-45 days to deliver once you've placed your order. They custom build each bike. One guy recently said he was willing to sell his (check the last few pages of thread - you might get a deal). Frey also sells hardtails and a fat tire bike.

You can find other Ultra powered emtbs with lower-spec frames/components from FLX and M2S. Bixtrix has unusually long chainstay dimensions that need to be considered.

The Ultra motor is a kick in the pants - will climb anything. My strong advice is to order the biggest battery you can. Don't really need a fat tire bike unless you plan riding in very soft sand or deep snow. Plus size tires found on most emtbs are capable of handling most terrain.

Last edited:
On the Ultra Motor -- Yes, I found that page, too. Which was all the more confusing because it's stamped M620 on the side of the Motor! :p

Biktrix has two.

Ultra Max?
Max Ultra?
Ultr?
Max?

Bafang's Max and Ultra appear to be two different motors. FLX's Blade ebike uses a 1350w Ultra, but their Trail and Attack models use the 750w Max.

The Blade bike comes stock with the only eMTB-specific gearset available, far as I know, SRAM's EX1. I agree with MisterM, the Ultra's 160Nm of torque will make mincemeat out of "regular" MTB drivetrains.

Not sure if these are the same type of component, but the Biktrix Juggernaut 1000 that I just placed an order for has the Ultra Max with the SRAM Gx1 11sp transmission, and has Torque Sensor, plus PAS Sensor, plus On-Demand Throttle. Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I really came to like talking to Roshan over this deal. I guess we'll see how it goes from here.

Should be decent. Just keep up on maintenance, at those power levels stacked cog chain systems tend to see a ton of wear.

How ya been digging the Jug Ultra? Been riding one as well for the past 2000km and loving it. Chain replacement time, good lifespan. I bought another 1110 chain but it would be good to look at all the SRAM 11-speed options:

pc-1110: grey steel inner and outer plates ($14)
pc-1130: grey steel inner, polished nickel outer (not rated for x-sync)
pc-x1: grey steel inner, polished nickel outer ($31)
pc-xx1: polished nickel inner and outer plates, hollow pins ($51)

KMC also makes good 11-speed chains but they are much more expensive, and no proof they last longer than the best SRAM chains.

I think the next chain I buy will be the XX1, looks very solid.

Last edited:
I had to sell mine before ever riding it. It would not fit my carrier. Bummer! Loved the look and build quality.

Sorry to hear that! It's a hell of a bike, I got rid of all my gas-burning vehicles since it's taken over all my commuting and getting around.

Hey Deafcat, I see you are a proud owner of a 2019 Biktrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000. I am pretty firm on buying this very bike in the not too distant future and you seem to know quite a bit about this baby. If you could pass along any extra (spec-info) that might be helpful to a guy like me, that would be great. I'm brand new to the ebike world and am looking forward to becoming a part of it. I'm interested in educating myself as much as possible about this bike as it's sort of scary the amount of money I'm getting ready to fork over. Thank you in advance for all of your help. It will mean a whole lot to me.

Last edited:
Hey Clancy, yep I can tell you all about it, it's really the best ebike for the price, and after 3000km already on it, I'd buy it all over again. It's definitely the best pre-built option out right now for a fatbike capable of over 45km/h, and backed up with the peace of mind of Biktrix customer care.

I've made a few changes to the bike, some personal preferences, and some universal improvements I think everyone should shoot for when convenient:

Firstly, definitely get the bike with one of the two bigger batteries, either 17 or 21Ah... The bigger packs provide full amperage and less voltage drop so you can get top speeds out of it.

Secondly, a set of Miranda Delta cranks (152mm, 8mm offset) were a huge improvement for ground clearance on hard cornering and over obstacles, I really dig these and think every Bafang Ultra motor should have em.

Thirdly, stock seatpost was too short IMO and since most regular riders are going to swing for a better saddle, just do em together: a 27.2 by 400mm Zoom seatpost (low cost and effective), paired with a Brooks C17 is a great combo for this bike.

Beyond that, you'll probably want to add a tail light, and maybe a more powerful headlight if you ride at night. The stock headlight is cool since it turns on automatically from light sensor, adjustable setpoint in the display control.

For wheel and tire choice, I'd be inclined to go for the 3" 27.5, I'm currently running 3.8" Cake Eaters on custom wheels. I also deleted the suspension fork off mine in favor of rigid fork, less weight and still a soft ride thanks to the tires.

Thanks so much. I'm so new at all of this ebike stuff I feel like an irish leprechaun wearing a bright green hoodie on St. Patrick's Day. LOL However, I do appreciate all the info you have provided. I'll keep an eye out for any additional information you may have as I do not even know anyone who owns an ebike, let alone, one of this character and caliber.
I hate to admit it but that's the truth. Anywho, I'll keep on reading and researching as much as possible until I make my move to buy. It should happen within the next 3 to 4 months.
Again, thanks for all of your input Deafcat, it means the world to me. Thumbs up buddy.

Last edited:
Clancy, right on man! If you have any other questions bout it, hit me up. I know you will have a blast with the bike, for pretty much any use case. The combo of great assist modes, torque sensing, thumb throttle, lots of torque and great programming from Biktrix really set it apart from the majority of pre-built ebikes.

Timpo, that bike is by any stretch a big case of overkill for a first ebike, and rather specialized in application (it's a mountain bike, not an all-rounder). It's also bleeding edge tech with a load of hardware concerns which we probably don't need to get into... Whereas, the Ultra 1000 is basically proven and refined tech in a well rounded hard tail setup capable of just about anything, from a company with comparatively superior customer care.

& Deafcat . . . Do expect to see much more of me here in the future. I'm eager and excited. Just sayin. Right on brother. :cool:

Last edited:
Ok Deafcat, here's another question: can you provide me with a full-spec sheet for the Jugg. I'm looking at their Shimano Deore 10sp transmission set and cannot seem to narrow it down. Thanks buddy.

Last edited:
Hmm, mine actually came with the SRAM NX 11 speed, wonder if that's been changed? Might have to inquire with Biktrix about that to be certain. The SRAM shifting is incredibly quick and precise, very robust components, although not without its maintenance requirements (chain and cassette wear). They may have selected a 10-speed with a thicker, longer wearing chain... Shimano's 10/11 speed stuff is excellent though.

Make sure to get the bike with the Tektro hydraulic brakes, a free upgrade I think. They are excellent brakes and a big improvement over cable disc brakes.

Weight of the bike they state 58 pounds, I haven't weighed mine but it's definitely much less than that.

Yea, I've agreed with you on a lot of your standouts Deafcat.

I'm going to go w the 27.5 x 3 wheelset and take your advice on the 27.2 by 400mm Zoom seatpost paired with a Brooks C17 saddle as well as the free upgrade of the Tektro hydraulic brakes. And ... they are displaying the bike weight as 68 lbs but I'm sure I can get used to that being how much of a beast it seems to be. :D Also, I just looked and it shows the transmission/gear-set coming in as the Shimano Deore 10sp. I've looked here but I'm not sure if this is the correct group!
Anyhow, I'm trying to find out as much as possible in particular as I can, so as not to have any surprises when the order-day comes. I want to be as educated as I can within my limitations of all this being brand new to me as I'm sure you were once in the same boat at one time in your life!

Last edited:
Hmm, that seems like a high weight figure... I'll put mine on the scales this weekend if I get a chance. The bike actually feels quite light for what it is, may also come down to the well balanced weight distribution too.

Mine weighs 52 lbs without battery stripped with rigid fork.

Attachments

• _DSC1779.jpeg
    _DSC1779.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 923
Back