Bafang Ultra gaskets, parts ..

I've rid mine for a few days now, at first the noise kinda bothered me coming from DD hub but the more you ride the less you here it..

Forget about it, it soon goes away đź‘Ť

My M620 is a bit loud, but not offensively so, and supposedly using Corn Head Grease, rather than Mobil 1 Synthetic, is supposed to help so I got a cartridge and going to take out the motor, clean and add some but for sure not as much as that guy did!

Hopefully the gasket comes away clean but the link on page 3 here is good for more and going to order a few for further use. However a proper grease installed properly in a closed system like this should last a very long time if not over heated. I help a friend take care of his and if it works for me I'll do his also.

My M620 is a bit loud, but not offensively so, and supposedly using Corn Head Grease, rather than Mobil 1 Synthetic, is supposed to help so I got a cartridge and going to take out the motor, clean and add some but for sure not as much as that guy did!

Hopefully the gasket comes away clean but the link on page 3 here is good for more and going to order a few for further use. However a proper grease installed properly in a closed system like this should last a very long time if not over heated. I help a friend take care of his and if it works for me I'll do his also.
Keep us posted please? Maybe a "how to" based on what you ran into, and your impression of the noise afterward?

There's a chance I'm just getting used to the noise on mine, as it seems to be getting quieter....

Reactions: JRA
Keep us posted please? Maybe a "how to" based on what you ran into, and your impression of the noise afterward?

There's a chance I'm just getting used to the noise on mine, as it seems to be getting quieter....
The how to take out the motor for servicing is pretty well documented via YouTube already but if I run into anything that I feel needs to be added I will for sure.

The noise is not really all that bad and as someone that cut his two wheel moto teeth on a 125 Yamaha MX bitd for sure it is much quieter than that! Thinking back how the neighbors must have hated me.......

Yesterday's ride with my buddy that has a Levo kind of displayed the difference in sound level though as his bike is really quiet but the Brose is known for that due to the belt final drive. I don't expect it will make it silent but I am a sucker for tearing perfectly good working things apart in the interest of even small gains. Plus using a product with a name like "Corn Head" made by John Deere is outside the ebike box enough to make it interesting.

Corn Head Grease.jpg

I have lived where I am at long enough to be a victim of the noise I made as a kid (younger adult). I can do nothing but bite my lip when the current (much younger) generation reminds me of the noise I used to make at their age..... Now that I'm so much older, a terrible position to be in for sure! I have to grin though, even though I HATE it! It helps to remind myself of the fun I had getting away with some of the stuff I've done....

Managed to change out the grease today between other projects that a nice day presents.....Taking out the motor was'nt too bad but the small phillips head screws that hold the non drive side cover plate on took some time to get off because I couldn't find the right screwdriver....There is alot you can do on taking one apart with an impact driver btw as well as re-assembly.

Case split fine without any damage to the gasket when it got to the bench. There was very little grease in there. Just some dabs of white lithium. I certainly don't subscribe to the method that chap in the video does but there is also a minimum amount too. I cleaned out what was there and I'll bet there wasn't a half a teaspoon.

I had a little episode while swapping out my grease gun of the red lithium I was using on my TSDZ2 and inserting the Corn Head cartridge. The gun started leaking red fluid so luckily I had a rag there for that but when I went to undo the Corn Head it was more soupy than goopy and I wasn't well prepared for that and some got on the concrete floor, like enough that I ended up using it to lube the motor.......waste not want not!

Put in probably 3 teaspoons of grease or a little more concentrating a bit on each interface. Pretty easy to see why there is gear noise because there is alot of steel in there whirring around for sure.

Re-assembly was easy til I got to the plastic cover and little phillips heads. I had turned the bike upside down and if doing it again I would wait to put that part on when the bike was right side up so that it doesn't want to fall off. That part cost me more time than any other but would be way faster next time, especially because I finally found the right driver.

So for the moment we all have been waiting for how does it sound? It is quieter for sure, not silent but never will be. I am calling it a win and especially because I am happier overall having a bit more grease than stock in there for the long run.

The one tool I really think that most won't have is the cup wrench for the drive side spider lock ring. It is lefty tighty/right loosey for one thing and the flat wrench with no offset just isn't the right tool for the job cause the chainring needs to be held somehow also. When I sought the cup kind this is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YQRQM1M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details Especially easy with an impact driver and no need for any more pressure on the chainring than by hand.

Managed to change out the grease today between other projects that a nice day presents.....Taking out the motor was'nt too bad but the small phillips head screws that hold the non drive side cover plate on took some time to get off because I couldn't find the right screwdriver....There is alot you can do on taking one apart with an impact driver btw as well as re-assembly.

Case split fine without any damage to the gasket when it got to the bench. There was very little grease in there. Just some dabs of white lithium. I certainly don't subscribe to the method that chap in the video does but there is also a minimum amount too. I cleaned out what was there and I'll bet there wasn't a half a teaspoon.

I had a little episode while swapping out my grease gun of the red lithium I was using on my TSDZ2 and inserting the Corn Head cartridge. The gun started leaking red fluid so luckily I had a rag there for that but when I went to undo the Corn Head it was more soupy than goopy and I wasn't well prepared for that and some got on the concrete floor, like enough that I ended up using it to lube the motor.......waste not want not!

Put in probably 3 teaspoons of grease or a little more concentrating a bit on each interface. Pretty easy to see why there is gear noise because there is alot of steel in there whirring around for sure.

Re-assembly was easy til I got to the plastic cover and little phillips heads. I had turned the bike upside down and if doing it again I would wait to put that part on when the bike was right side up so that it doesn't want to fall off. That part cost me more time than any other but would be way faster next time, especially because I finally found the right driver.

So for the moment we all have been waiting for how does it sound? It is quieter for sure, not silent but never will be. I am calling it a win and especially because I am happier overall having a bit more grease than stock in there for the long run.

The one tool I really think that most won't have is the cup wrench for the drive side spider lock ring. It is lefty tighty/right loosey for one thing and the flat wrench with no offset just isn't the right tool for the job cause the chainring needs to be held somehow also. When I sought the cup kind this is the one I got: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YQRQM1M?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details Especially easy with an impact driver and no need for any more pressure on the chainring than by hand.
Are you still happy with the grease? No issues?

Someone is always smarter than the OEM.
Some OEM's use the market to finish development on stuff they start that's not quite right.....

Back