Bafang Ultra gaskets, parts ..

Tom, you should know ... what is the technique for splitting one of these cases without damaging the gasket?
With extreme care. It can be done. I've used a very thin knife blade. Sadly Bafang uses cheap paper. I'm working on an alternative, but it's a few months out. The MOQ is high when seeking a reasonable price.

With extreme care. It can be done. I've used a very thin knife blade. Sadly Bafang uses cheap paper. I'm working on an alternative, but it's a few months out. The MOQ is high when seeking a reasonable price.
thank you. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe even one of the thicker feeler gauge blades.

thank you. Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Maybe even one of the thicker feeler gauge blades.
Possibly heating gently with a heat gun? Maybe 100° - 120°f
Dissimilar materials expand at different rates often causing separation.

Sometimes, a couple of whacks with a plastic/dead blow hammer in a sturdy area can pop similar stuff. It's how I split a lot of the motorcycle/snowmobile/outboard stuff I find myself working on frequently. Once you see a crack develop between the halves, often you can go around with a #11 xacto knife and make sure the gasket all comes apart on the same side to save it.

I suppose it would also not be overly difficult to make a new gasket. Some auto parts and accessories stores sell gasket material. Just a mater of tracing the pattern with the the shell and getting all the holes correct. Never done it but suppose you could temporarily paint the rim of the shell and then 'print' a pattern on your gasket material then cut it out holes and all.

I suppose it would also not be overly difficult to make a new gasket. Some auto parts and accessories stores sell gasket material. Just a mater of tracing the pattern with the the shell and getting all the holes correct. Never done it but suppose you could temporarily paint the rim of the shell and then 'print' a pattern on your gasket material then cut it out holes and all.
Those of us that have done that would prefer to buy a gasket, trust me!

Yeah, in my aircooled VW years I used permatex, what could the downside be? Better water proofing? I always inject RTV into the grommet and wire bundle from the controller. I’m thinking as long as one isn’t sloppy and uses excess sealant, no harm no foul?
A tutorial with pictures would be most appreciated. We babes in the woods need all the help we can get. I'd gladly pay a reasonable subscription fee to any site that provided that sort of content. 👍

I’ve owned Moto Guzzi and BMW bikes. Valve adjustments and gaskets. It’s funny how they fail at the worst moment.
No more. Care in preserving a gasket is my style. Having a backup, before problems occur, is my practice.

2 on there way for me, thanks for the links. My motor is new, anyone recommend a service interval? 1000 miles 2000 miles?...

Another good video on the Ultra. He mentions that the metal makes zero difference in noise. I have the metal gear and if that's the case, maybe I'll install that. I'll post pics of the nylon , when I have it out. I will be interesting to see the the wear after 3.5 years. He also mentions at the end that greasing is not necessary ,unless you have to service for some other reason. ??

Last edited:
Another good video on the Ultra. He mentions that the metal makes zero difference in noise. I have the metal gear and if that's the case, maybe I'll install that. I'll post pics of the nylon , when I have it out. I will be interesting to see the the wear after 3.5 years. He also mentions at the end that greasing is not necessary ,unless you have to service for some other reason. ??

On the bold, Horse Puckey. Don't believe that for a second.

Good question! I'll be honest. I haven't seen much in the way of positive feed back on that. Kind of taking a wait and see here. Would LOVE to have the steel gear noise level reduced, but if there's no significant reduction, I have better things to do with my time. Pulling that motor down, splitting the cases, greasing the gears, then reassembling is going to be a pretty significant project.

What about the grease part? Always wondered about this as I saw that video months ago before I even purchased an ebike.

I guess it couldn't hurt to at least check it at some interval?
But that said, most sealed gears especially on a relatively cool running electric motors are greased for the lifespan of such. Most greases have operating temperatures in the 100's of degrees. Mobil SHC 100 is 300° f
I've overheated my electric drills much more and more often than my BBS02B and have yet to have a gear failure with most more than 20 years old.

Back