Bafang Ultra (and BBSxx) Tuning

Your dpc18 has Eco or Sport with PAS 1-3 or up to 1-9. The programming sets what these settings do so you could have 1 as your fastest PAS and 9 your slowest or turn power off altogether in PAS 3 and you can adjust acceleration curves and things like that.

Hope this helps you buddy.

From what I understand the difference between Eco and Sport is the top speed setting which is a display setting. I do not own an Ultra so things may be different for that motor but that's how it is on the BBS02B using the eggrider.

When using the eggrider you have the Eco and sport mode, but you also have the controller settings that you can change. When using the dcp-18 display, or any other than the eggrider in order to change the controller settings you will need a pc, usb interface cable and software to change the controller settings.
I do not know if on the Ultra the controller stores two sets of it's own settings for Eco and Sport, but on the BBSxx the controller does not.
I hope that makes sense

From what I understand the difference between Eco and Sport is the top speed setting which is a display setting. I do not own an Ultra so things may be different for that motor but that's how it is on the BBS02B using the eggrider.

When using the eggrider you have the Eco and sport mode, but you also have the controller settings that you can change. When using the dcp-18 display, or any other than the eggrider in order to change the controller settings you will need a pc, usb interface cable and software to change the controller settings.
I do not know if on the Ultra the controller stores two sets of it's own settings for Eco and Sport, but on the BBSxx the controller does not.
I hope that makes sense
Yes, I have the all the things needed to program the motor controller from my PC. The motor only has one set of parameters so what I'm wondering is how the display learns my new settings without just overwriting them. And then what happens when I switch from eco to sport.

Yes, I have the all the things needed to program the motor controller from my PC. The motor only has one set of parameters so what I'm wondering is how the display learns my new settings without just overwriting them. And then what happens when I switch from eco to sport.
The display does not learn them, it has its own separate set of settings that interact with those of the controller. Some do overlap such as Top speed, but I believe that the controller one is dominant unless you set the controller Top Speed setting to "By Displays Command"
Again I think Top Speed is the only setting changed by Eco and Sport.
Hopefully someone with an Ultra can give you more details

Seems like I read somewhere where the 5 ECO PAS settings are 1,3,5,7, and 9 listed in the setup. The Sport settings are 2,4,6,8, and 9. I don't know that for fact as I have had no interest in the Sport settings, and have never messed with them. I've found that 5 PAS settings is plenty for my purposes, and to date, my focus has been on those.

You will also see mentioned in the setup (max speed for instance), where you can install a set value, or give priority to the display, using whatever is shown there.

You WILL be overwriting the original settings when you save any changes you make. It's a REAL good idea to jot down the originals or to save them off in a file as the very first thing you attempt to do!

Seems like I read somewhere where the 5 ECO PAS settings are 1,3,5,7, and 9 listed in the setup. The Sport settings are 2,4,6,8, and 9. I don't know that for fact as I have had no interest in the Sport settings, and have never messed with them. I've found that 5 PAS settings is plenty for my purposes, and to date, my focus has been on those.

You will also see mentioned in the setup (max speed for instance), where you can install a set value, or give priority to the display, using whatever is shown there.

You WILL be overwriting the original settings when you save any changes you make. It's a REAL good idea to jot down the originals or to save them off in a file as the very first thing you attempt to do!
Interesting about the odds / even thing. I'm gonna look for that, thank you.
Yes, first thing is that I will be saving a backup file.

Interesting about the odds / even thing. I'm gonna look for that, thank you.
Yes, first thing is that I will be saving a backup file.
That is interesting... I wonder what happens if you select to have 9 levels of PAS? Or is that not an option for systems with Eco/Sport?

Right, not an option.
I'll take the 9 PAS levels then.
Eggrider has a version of it that allows it with 9 PAS but all it changes is the Global Top Speed. I found the button to do so poorly placed and easily pushed especially if wearing gloves. You can easily increase your Global Top Speed on the 860c display having the same effect but it does require you to stop and enter the Advanced settings mode... which I do prefer as I rarely need to and it can't be activated by accident.

I just received a cable and downloaded the controllerst_torque application. I can't find a driver that will install on Win 10 and my MS Surface laptop. The drivers linked here will not install. Please advise ...

I just received a cable and downloaded the controllerst_torque application. I can't find a driver that will install on Win 10 and my MS Surface laptop. The drivers linked here will not install. Please advise ...
I didn't need a driver on the W/10 laptop I use. Where I had trouble was typing in the com port it was asking for. Turned out that has to be done in Caps with no space between COM and the port number. (E.G. COM4) Once I had that figured out, we were good to go.

Windows should install any USB to Serial Port drivers necessary automatically if not already installed.
Plug in the cable and then check Device Manager to see if any yellow flags or Unknown Hardware. You should be able to then click on that an select Update Driver

Windows should install any USB to Serial Port drivers necessary automatically if not already installed.
Plug in the cable and then check Device Manager to see if any yellow flags or Unknown Hardware. You should be able to then click on that an select Update DriveR

Plug in the cable and then check Device Manager to see if any yellow flags or Unknown Hardware. You should be able to then click on that an select Update Driver
I tried AHicks COM in caps and your device manager look. It shows the USB but no driver and update driver does not work even though I downloaded the suggested driver. I think it may be the cable as a previous poster noted back to Amazon it goes and perhaps order another one. USB is usually easy so this is a little concerning.

I think many people just don't realize just how personalized these setting are/can be. Nothing against some of these guys that have been messing with these things for a few years now, and have come up with these "hot setups", but that man's hot set up may suck when it come's too my 'druthers
Totally! I come from a cycling background and I wanted to set up the motor so it won't run away from me on pedal assist. Also, conserve power and engage gently, disengage quickly and pull power way back when my leg rpms show i don't need any more help. I've come up with my own setup for this that might be worth looking at for some. I've read all the articles in Post #1 - especially Karl Gesslein's, and by and large use a bit here and a piece there, and tinkered mid ride. Plus it seems the BBSHD's of two or three years ago don't behave the same as the ones sold today based on settings that are great on one old motor and crap on a new one.

With any luck, some of these bits will be different enough to be useful to someone building their own preferences up (I can only speak to BBSHDs):

Cable issues are rare in my experience. But some China sources have had poor quality USB to TTL hardware.
I’ve made a few over the years and the only issues were with junk USB devices. I now use Grin cables because they are never an issue and are 3.3 Feet long. Sadly the TTL to correct Higo connector source is in Germany and there are still covid shipping issues.

Totally! I come from a cycling background and I wanted to set up the motor so it won't run away from me on pedal assist. Also, conserve power and engage gently, disengage quickly and pull power way back when my leg rpms show i don't need any more help. I've come up with my own setup for this that might be worth looking at for some. I've read all the articles in Post #1 - especially Karl Gesslein's, and by and large use a bit here and a piece there, and tinkered mid ride. Plus it seems the BBSHD's of two or three years ago don't behave the same as the ones sold today based on settings that are great on one old motor and crap on a new one.

With any luck, some of these bits will be different enough to be useful to someone building their own preferences up (I can only speak to BBSHDs):

Yay Matt! Nicely done!

Thanks but after successful driver installation ... no cigar. Win 10 still does not detect a driver.

BTW, I am only going there as I have an IGH and want to back off the power delivery.
Who has a link to Penoff's rewritten BBSxx software that installs so easily? Never mind. Found it. The guy rewrote the software, and his version installs pretty much automatically - or much easier at the very least. Use the link, then scroll down to "Here" and download his software. See if that takes care of your issue....

Last edited:
Back